1Password 8 "secure unlock"

btownguy
btownguy
Community Member

Pretty basic question. With 1Password 8 on Windows, where has the "secure unlock" feature gone on the unlock screen?

1Password Version: 8.4.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10.0.19044.1348

Comments

• Hey @btownguy:

Great question! We're still putting the final touches on Secure Desktop unlocking and as such it isn't in stable releases just yet. If you're using a beta or nightly version of 1Password 8 for Windows, pressing ctrl+enter in the password field when unlocking 1Password will take you to the Secure Desktop to unlock 1Password.

Jack

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member

@jack.platten I just tested it with latest beta 8.5.0-17 and when I hit ctrl + enter in the master password field, I get a black screen for roughly 5 seconds where only my mouse cursor is visible, then I'm back on the regular desktop.

Just to be sure it wasn't my computer acting funny, I tested other apps I have that require secure desktop and they work.

• Hi @J.M:

Thanks for letting me know that you ran into some issues. I was able to partially replicate this issue, so to investigate a bit further as to what could be the cause, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

ref: dev/core/core#11570

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member

@jack.platten

Thanks for the reply, will do as soon as I get home, probably not before thursday I think.

• Thanks @J.M - we'll keep an eye out for it. 👀

• HIR45
    HIR45
    Community Member

Just leaving a +1 to say I am also looking for this feature. I loved it in prior versions of 1Password, so looking forward to it coming back!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @HIR45, noted!

• ElVen
    ElVen
    Community Member

Hi, why is secure unlock not implemented in the 8 version still? I am using version 7 on my old PC and it works there good. On new PC I installed version 8 (because I have read on your site that version 7 will not receive any updates), and I cant find this option in the settings. Ctrl+Enter also doesnt work :(
    Please implement this as this is very important option.

Thank you
    ElVen

• Hi @ElVen, sorry to learn about this. I have added your comments here to an issue we've opened up internally. We'll look into this further.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

For those with the Windows Beta version and finding Secure Desktop log on a hit and miss affair, I have found the following works for me when I get a Black Screen. Instead of rebooting, hit CTRL-Alt-Del, select Task Manager. There I usually find two 1Password entries in the Background Processes section. End both, exit Task Manager and try to open 1P again on a secure desktop. For me, it usually works. This is a far quicker work around for me than a full PC reboot.

This discussion has been closed.