Comments on latest beta

Options

Hi,

I have noticed quite a few issues (and they are still relevant to yesterdays newest beta). They mainly are to do with fullscreen mode.

1. Start another app in fullscreen (eg; Tweetbot), then open 1Password from the dock icon or the icon in your Applications folder. The app opens ontop of the fullscreen app (which isn;t in itself bad, but is a bit weird). The issue is that even though 1Password now has focus, the toolbar in the menubar still shows the menu for Tweetbot. Surely this menu should show the menu for whichever app is in focus.

As a second part of the above, if you use a four finger swipe gesture on the trackpad to enter Mission Control and create a new blank Desktop space, then drag the 1Password window up and onto that new desktop space, the cursor just shows a no entry sign icon and when you let go of the drag, the app just pops back to where it was.

1. If the app was in fullscreen when it was closed, then when it is reopened it should restore back to being fullscreen, it does not, it just makes the window as large as possible without being properly in fullscreen mode.

2. The close "X" button of the Preferences window is driving me insane being on the right hand side when for consistency with MacOS, it should be on the left.

That's all for now. As much as I am not a fan of Electron, it IS improving rapidly but still needs a lot of fit and finish tweaks. I would like it to see it being able to scan onscreen QR codes for TFA codes.

Neil

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

ยซ1

Comments

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

I knew I had another bit to add:

Would you guys be willing to integrate the Apple Password Resources into your app?

https://opensource.apple.com/projects/password-manager-resources/?utm_source=pocket_mylist

It seems a PERFECT fit and it could provide some really great benefits to your users! Especially the one click access to the right page to change a password etc.

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

Quick access would also be great if you had an option to reveal a password for a quick glance at what it is and also a way to show a cut down view of the entirety of an items details in the window. Opening an item in a window doesn't quite feel right. I feel like quick access should be 100% accessible via the keyboard and if you use quick access via the keyboard but then have to switch to mouse input to view the rest of an item it feels a bit "against the point" if you get my drift?

• Hi @rctneil:

Thanks for your detailed feedback here! We're still fine tuning full-screen behavior and I was able to replicate your point 1, so I'll file an issue to see if it can be smoothed out in the future. Likewise for number 2. Number 3 is still an active design discussion, so I appreciate your input here as well.

As for Apple's Password Manager Resources, I'm pleased to let you know that this is something we're actively already using :smile: Both in changing passwords, as well as providing hints for our Smart Password Generator:

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#11857

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply.

I very much look forward to the fullscreen mode improvements.

I can't seem to see the change password option for my Google item?

• Hi @rctneil:

Just to confirm, are you checking in 1Password desktop, or 1Password in your browser? This functionality is only available in the 1Password browser extension at the moment.

Jack

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, no, i'm checking in the desktop app. It shouldn't (from a customer perspective) matter what interface to 1Password I'm using, all functions should be accessible. Apples Password Resources included.

There you go, another suggestion to add.

Also, please add the ability to use the password generator in the desktop app without it auto saving an item etc. A password manager app should be able to be used to generate passwords.

Not everyone can use the extension to generate passwords all the time.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with all of @rctneil ' s points.

Quite a lot of the passwords I create are not web related - ssh, terminal, db, app passwords. So why am I forced to open a browser to create a password or read a qr code. But even if I have to create a new web account I prefer to use the main application because I typically add notes or attachments to the newly created account.

This totally out of place 'X' top right in a macOS application really drives me nuts. If it's a window give it proper stop lights top left. If it's a modal dialogue get rid of any kind of close 'widget' and just use abort/cancel/ok buttons. AgileBits used to be a company that cared about its ui and platform integration without sacrificing one of them.

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

Items 1 and 2 regarding fullscreen mode on MacOS are still present in the latest beta.

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member
    Options

This totally out of place 'X' top right in a macOS application really drives me nuts. If it's a window give it proper stop lights top left. If it's a modal dialogue get rid of any kind of close 'widget' and just use abort/cancel/ok buttons.

For real. And please stop comparing it to the Home app. Please.

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

An update to my comments for beta 80500079:

1. (STILL AN ISSUE) Start another app in fullscreen (eg; Tweetbot), then open 1Password from the dock icon or the icon in your Applications folder. The app opens on top of the fullscreen app (which isn't in itself bad but is a bit weird). The issue is that even though 1Password now has focus, the toolbar in the menubar still shows the menu for Tweetbot. Surely this menu should show the menu for whichever app is in focus.

2. (STILL AN ISSUE) If you use a four-finger swipe gesture on the trackpad to enter Mission Control and create a new blank Desktop space, then drag the 1Password window up and onto that new desktop space, the cursor just shows a no-entry sign icon and when you let go of the drag, the app just pops back to where it was.

3. (STILL AN ISSUE) If the app was in fullscreen when it was closed, then when it is reopened it should restore back to being fullscreen, it does not, it just makes the window as large as possible without being properly in fullscreen mode.

4. (STILL AN ISSUE) The close "X" button of the Preferences window is driving me insane being on the right-hand side when for consistency with MacOS, it should be on the left. OR, better still, make the Preferences window a real MacOS dialog window. That would help more due to it actually being moveable and able to be positioned outside the 1Password app so content underneath can be referenced for any reason.

5. (STILL AN ISSUE) Options made possible in the web version, from the Apple open source Password Management Resources are still not possible to be used in the Desktop app.

6. (STILL AN ISSUE) On a machine without Touch ID, using 1Password from a text field in a browser when 1Password needs to be unlocked, still causes you to be thrown over to the 1Password app for the unlock to take place and then throws you back to the browser. The sudden shifts in context are very strange and really mess you up, focus wise. It "may" be that I use my browser in fullscreen mode all the time but not sure. On a machine with Touch ID, it's a much nicer experience as the Touch ID dialog shows up and allows you to authenticate without massive shifts in context. Soooo much nicer. - Note: I don't think I'll be able to test this soon enough as my new machine is arriving in the next week!

7. One thing that's always bugged me about 1Password is how much it relies on the web addresses having HTTP or HTTPS. I know there is a difference, but most sites these days, the sites are identical and most redirect to the secure version so surely by putting in twitter.com, http://twitter.com or https://twitter.com, that item should be suggested for Twitter?

8. I store items in 1Password for family members, friends, and clients. These are logins to accounts that I do not own or have any control over. I'd like a way to be able to mark items that are mine so WatchTower can provide a rating that's accurate for me and not include any insecure stuff (like bad passwords, no 2FA, the account included in a data breach) from other peoples accounts or items. This is the number 1 reason I don't pay much attention to WatchTower:- because it's not focused on just the items I want it to be.

9. On the line of a password, you have the "Copy" button and a down arrow to signify more options. With all the horizontal space, surely some of those options in the dropdown could be made into actual buttons in the bar. I really HATE having to click the down arrow button and choose an option. Please just add them as real buttons in the space available and collapse down to the down arrow button when space is at a premium. As the "Copy" option is the primary one in this case, maybe the secondary ones could be slightly smaller in size to visually indicate that but one-click buttons really would improve the UX.

1. One big dislike (apart from not using Mac native controls) I have about Electron is that the windows / applications tend to resize with a horrible visual glitch on the right and bottom of the windows. This happens also with 1Password 8 beta. Can it be fixed and be smooth and silky? It's like the canvas has expanded but the content within doesn't notice until a slight bit later when it fills in the space. Fixing this would go a long way towards making the window fit in more with other apps (even if the controls are not native.)

2. The new QR code scanner. If using multiple desktops / fullscreen apps or even a multi monitor setup, if the QR code I need to scan is on another desktop / fullscreen app or monitor, it does appear to be able to see the code, let alone scan it. Is it possible for the scanner to be able to find the code in those scenarios?

Once again I will comment on my dislike for Electron but I have to admit it really is improving and very quickly too. However, it does still seem quite far away from becoming a stable release in my opinion. Great work to @dteare and the team!

I will duplicate this post and reply to this topic after each new beta to keep track for me of which items still need resolving.

Many thanks,
    Neil!

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    1. When attaching a file to an item, please allow us to drag and drop it into the item rather than having to do it through the file picker. Drag and drop creates a much nicer UX for everyone.

2. Why can't fields in an item be dragged around when in edit mode? For example: I just created a new secure note, I added 3 fields but then realised that I wanted a sort of name or identifier for the set of three fields. I created a Section with the name I wanted and then just wanted to move the three fields into that section but wasn't able to. I had to recreate the three fields and delete the old ones. How frustrating! Don't you agree? :)

3. Just editing an items who's only two fields are "URL" and "password". They are details for an app on my phone. The password is just a 6 character pin code. Everytime I view the item I see the red WatchTower warning me about a Vulnerable Password, there is NOTHING I can do about this. Please give me a way to tell WatchTower "Thanks, I'm aware of this and thank you very much for your kind notification but please f**** off in this one instance." 8-)

4. In both the item list and the detail view of an item, please add a way to indicate the "category type" of item. Either by way of the type category icons or the icon and name. I am dealing with a "License key" item but nowhere does it tell me it is one?

Sorry for adding more and more items on here. I just want 1Password to be the best and i'd rather post continuously in here than create multiple threads! Right, off to bed now. G'Night!

• Thank you for the great feedback, @rctneil !

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

No problem at all. As stated, just want to make 1Password the best it can possibly be.

Any chance of someone commenting on each point? Especially the points where Iโ€™ve asked more of a question.

• Ben
    Options

Hey @rctneil

I had a chat with @danvpeterson from our design team on these points. I don't have a comment on each point, we'll probably need to consult a Mac dev on a few, but I'll share what I have:

(STILL AN ISSUE) The close "X" button of the Preferences window is driving me insane being on the right-hand side when for consistency with MacOS, it should be on the left. OR, better still, make the Preferences window a real MacOS dialog window. That would help more due to it actually being moveable and able to be positioned outside the 1Password app so content underneath can be referenced for any reason.

There are strong opinions on both sides of this, and it is still being debated internally. As it stands, I can't promise this will change, but I will promise we'll keep the conversation going.

(STILL AN ISSUE) On a machine without Touch ID, using 1Password from a text field in a browser when 1Password needs to be unlocked, still causes you to be thrown over to the 1Password app for the unlock to take place and then throws you back to the browser. The sudden shifts in context are very strange and really mess you up, focus wise. It "may" be that I use my browser in fullscreen mode all the time but not sure. On a machine with Touch ID, it's a much nicer experience as the Touch ID dialog shows up and allows you to authenticate without massive shifts in context. Soooo much nicer. - Note: I don't think I'll be able to test this soon enough as my new machine is arriving in the next week!

We are aware of this pain point. I wish I could say when exactly it'll be fixed, but it is on the list.

I store items in 1Password for family members, friends, and clients. These are logins to accounts that I do not own or have any control over. I'd like a way to be able to mark items that are mine so WatchTower can provide a rating that's accurate for me and not include any insecure stuff (like bad passwords, no 2FA, the account included in a data breach) from other peoples accounts or items. This is the number 1 reason I don't pay much attention to WatchTower:- because it's not focused on just the items I want it to be.

It may help to store these items in one or more vaults separate from your items. That way you can create a collection that only includes the vaults that contain your items, and not the vaults that are for other people's items. Watchtower is scoped by collection.

On the line of a password, you have the "Copy" button and a down arrow to signify more options. With all the horizontal space, surely some of those options in the dropdown could be made into actual buttons in the bar. I really HATE having to click the down arrow button and choose an option. Please just add them as real buttons in the space available and collapse down to the down arrow button when space is at a premium. As the "Copy" option is the primary one in this case, maybe the secondary ones could be slightly smaller in size to visually indicate that but one-click buttons really would improve the UX.

This is something the design team has looked at and may reevaluate in the future, but it isn't on the short list as far as I can tell.

One big dislike (apart from not using Mac native controls) I have about Electron is that the windows / applications tend to resize with a horrible visual glitch on the right and bottom of the windows. This happens also with 1Password 8 beta. Can it be fixed and be smooth and silky? It's like the canvas has expanded but the content within doesn't notice until a slight bit later when it fills in the space. Fixing this would go a long way towards making the window fit in more with other apps (even if the controls are not native.)

We've tried to solve this and unfortunately I don't think this is fixable as things stand. ๐Ÿ˜ž

When attaching a file to an item, please allow us to drag and drop it into the item rather than having to do it through the file picker. Drag and drop creates a much nicer UX for everyone.

Agreed. I believe we're planning on doing this, but not sure exactly where it is in the pipeline.

Why can't fields in an item be dragged around when in edit mode? For example: I just created a new secure note, I added 3 fields but then realised that I wanted a sort of name or identifier for the set of three fields. I created a Section with the name I wanted and then just wanted to move the three fields into that section but wasn't able to. I had to recreate the three fields and delete the old ones. How frustrating! Don't you agree? :)

I do. Again I believe this is on the list, but not sure exactly where.

Just editing an items who's only two fields are "URL" and "password". They are details for an app on my phone. The password is just a 6 character pin code. Everytime I view the item I see the red WatchTower warning me about a Vulnerable Password, there is NOTHING I can do about this. Please give me a way to tell WatchTower "Thanks, I'm aware of this and thank you very much for your kind notification but please f**** off in this one instance." 8-)

I've been fighting for this one for a long time. ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป I'd love for us to find a good solution here. Dan agreed.

In both the item list and the detail view of an item, please add a way to indicate the "category type" of item. Either by way of the type category icons or the icon and name. I am dealing with a "License key" item but nowhere does it tell me it is one?

Not quite sure either of us fully understood this one. We do show the category icon in both the item list and detail view, unless there is a Rich Icon or you've set a custom icon.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

On the line of a password, you have the "Copy" button and a down arrow to signify more options. With all the horizontal space, surely some of those options in the dropdown could be made into actual buttons in the bar.

While I agree with most of the feedback--I do like the current functioning w regards to the Copy button--I most commonly open an item to copy those--and I like the entire line being the copy button...

EDIT: I'm at work and on Windows--so perhaps it is a button on the Mac, maybe I'm smoking. But I like only copy being visible.

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

@rpallred Maybe this would be a good time for a "Preferences" option to allow for both solutions!

:-D

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member
    Options

Maybe this would be a good time for a "Preferences"

...in a real preferences window...

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

I'm with you on that thought as above, but to be honest, if I can get fixes to all the points raised above, I'll happily live with the current preferences window and even the X being in the wrong corner on MacOS.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

@rctneil I agree with all of the issues you've found.
    But I have to add that it's not only the preference window that uses the totally out place window decoration. All modal dialogs like "collection creation" use it and it's not only the wrong corner but the X on its own is wrong too. It's not even a window any longer.
    If it's a window use proper stop lights top left and if it's a modal dialog don't use any kind kind of closing 'decoration' on the window border. This is one of the most basic macOS UI principles.
    I wonder what has happended to AgileBits' macOS UI designers during the creation of 1PW8's UI?

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options
    1. 1Password Quick Access: I assume this is primarily designed to be used keyboard only? It's opened mainly via a keyboard shortcut and you can navigate the main area quite easily with only a keyboard, but when you use the "Open in new window" option, sometimes the focus doesn't jump to that window to allow you to continue using the keyboard.

@Ben In regards to point 15 above. In the screenshot attached, there is no indication at all of the category the item is one of. In the image, Adobe Lightroom is of type "Software License". You have designed lovely little icons for each category, but nowhere on the item list or on the main item view, is it, or the name of the category displayed to tell you that it is of that type. I understand if rich icons were disabled, then the item image may show that but surely that's a fallback. The type should be visible whether rich icons are on or off.

• dteare
    edited January 2022
    Options

Thank you for all your great feedback, @rctneil. It's very much appreciated. ๐Ÿค—

A lot has already been covered here so I'm going to touch on just a few of the things that jumped out at me.

For the Mission Control issue (#2) it seems to work fine for me on macOS 12.0 with the 1Password nightly. To be 100% sure I'm on the same page as you are, is this the same drag target you're referencing?

In this screenshot I created Desktop 2 anew and then dragged the main 1Password window onto it. I'm a point update behind on macOS and will try to install that later today. Perhaps something changed in the newer release. Or, perhaps you found a way to drag mini or are doing something else differently than I am?

Regarding issue #6:

On a machine without Touch ID, using 1Password from a text field in a browser when 1Password needs to be unlocked, still causes you to be thrown over to the 1Password app for the unlock to take place and then throws you back to the browser.

This is a technical limitation and unfortunately one that won't be resolved until we get additional APIs from the browser manufacturers. The issue is there is no way to programmatically open the 1Password toolbar popup. If we had a mechanism to do so we could prompt for your password directly within the browser and avoid any context switching. This issue is even more challenging when the main app isn't installed as you need to manually click on the toolbar icon yourself or use the keyboard shortcut. The only alternative is to prompt for the password directly within the web page but this is something we won't do as it websites could create convincing phishing attacks if we went this route.

Regarding issue #9 and the additional actions on rows within the item being within an overflow menu, I can see where you're coming from with wanting to avoid the extra click. In various versions of 1Password over the last 16 years we've toyed with this many times and have tried what you suggested. It works but I personally like this way more as it's deterministic. I don't like UIs that change on me unexpectedly and given the amount of horizontal space is so variable we'd need to shorten and lengthen the number of buttons shown depending on the width. We'd also need to continue relying on an overflow menu for rows with many possible actions. Worse in my mind is once you become worried about the width at the design level you immediately start trying to shorten things and replace everything with icons. I really enjoy how we're able to spell out View password history, Show in Large Type, and even Reveal and Copy. Having text labels is wonderful on many levels and having the freedom to accommodate longer labels is icing on the cake. The other part I love is I know screenshots I share with users will look the same to them as what the screenshot shows without needing to worry about things being different due to screen width. Since the primary action is already shown as a button and only the less commonly used actions are an extra click away, I feel this is a really good compromise and I personally see this new layout as a feature and hope we never need to change it.

Regarding dragging-and-dropping documents into 1Password, I was sure this worked already so I tested and took a screenshot to demonstrate. Then I re-read your question and realized that you were referencing item attachments, which indeed are currently not accepting the dropped item. There's no technical limitations against us doing so, we just need to find some time to address this.

As for that screenshot I took, I really liked it and was sad at the thought of not being able to post it somewhere. So I'm posting it here even though it's not directly related to your question. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks again for sharing. It's been a privilege interacting with you over the last 8 years (nearly a decade now!๐Ÿ™Œ) and I look forward to continuing doing so over a few more decades. โค๏ธ

Take care,

++dave;
    1Password Founder

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

```

Thank you for all your great feedback, @rctneil. It's very much appreciated. ๐Ÿค—

You're very welcome!

For the Mission Control issue (#2) it seems to work fine for me on macOS 12.0 with the 1Password nightly. To be 100% sure I'm on the same page as you are, is this the same drag target you're referencing?

In this screenshot I created Desktop 2 anew and then dragged the main 1Password window onto it. I'm a point update behind on macOS and will try to install that later today. Perhaps something changed in the newer release. Or, perhaps you found a way to drag mini or are doing something else differently than I am?

I will attach a video. I do create a new desktop and try to drag the window but get a "No entry" sign.

https://dropover.cloud/55dac3773b275cc4fd617b8be2dec0db

Regarding issue #6:

On a machine without Touch ID, using 1Password from a text field in a browser when 1Password needs to be unlocked, still causes you to be thrown over to the 1Password app for the unlock to take place and then throws you back to the browser.

This is a technical limitation and unfortunately one that won't be resolved until we get additional APIs from the browser manufacturers. The issue is there is no way to programmatically open the 1Password toolbar popup. If we had a mechanism to do so we could prompt for your password directly within the browser and avoid any context switching. This issue is even more challenging when the main app isn't installed as you need to manually click on the toolbar icon yourself or use the keyboard shortcut. The only alternative is to prompt for the password directly within the web page but this is something we won't do as it websites could create convincing phishing attacks if we went this route.

I'm not on a machine without Touch ID right but as far as I can remember, the toolbar item menu does open and I have to click a button and then the context switches. Surely the password could be entered into the extension there as the toolbar icon window has already been opened?

Regarding issue #9 and the additional actions on rows within the item being within an overflow menu, I can see where you're coming from with wanting to avoid the extra click. In various versions of 1Password over the last 16 years we've toyed with this many times and have tried what you suggested. It works but I personally like this way more as it's deterministic. I don't like UIs that change on me unexpectedly and given the amount of horizontal space is so variable we'd need to shorten and lengthen the number of buttons shown depending on the width. We'd also need to continue relying on an overflow menu for rows with many possible actions. Worse in my mind is once you become worried about the width at the design level you immediately start trying to shorten things and replace everything with icons. I really enjoy how we're able to spell out View password history, Show in Large Type, and even Reveal and Copy. Having text labels is wonderful on many levels and having the freedom to accommodate longer labels is icing on the cake. The other part I love is I know screenshots I share with users will look the same to them as what the screenshot shows without needing to worry about things being different due to screen width. Since the primary action is already shown as a button and only the less commonly used actions are an extra click away, I feel this is a really good compromise and I personally see this new layout as a feature and hope we never need to change it.

This does make sense. Especially about staying consistent. I'm just wondering if there are way to make those other options more accessible to those who wish to use them. Maybe my first idea wasn't right, but maybe another solution exists? On a large screen (to be honest, I'm also finding it could be of use on my 13" MacBook in fullscreen mode), as the item bars are so wide, a click on 98% of the bars width causes a "Copy" operation and to access the other options, it requires me to move all the way to the other side of the window to access them. OMG, this sounds so petty, me moaning about having to move a cursor to the otherside of a laptop screen!

There must be a solution here that satisfies every issue.

Regarding dragging-and-dropping documents into 1Password, I was sure this worked already so I tested and took a screenshot to demonstrate. Then I re-read your question and realized that you were referencing item attachments, which indeed are currently not accepting the dropped item. There's no technical limitations against us doing so, we just need to find some time to address this.

Yeh, this would be very helpful! I would use drag and drop pretty much 100% of the time rather than click and pick file from finder window.

As for that screenshot I took, I really liked it and was sad at the thought of not being able to post it somewhere. So I'm posting it here even though it's not directly related to your question. ๐Ÿ™‚

Nice screenshot!

Thanks again for sharing. It's been a privilege interacting with you over the last 8 years (nearly a decade now!๐Ÿ™Œ) and I look forward to continuing doing so over a few more decades. โค๏ธ

It's been a pleasure to be a 1Password user. I do keep recommending you to others, but getting people into a "I need a Password Manager" frame of mind is tricky business. I find sometimes a lot of the problems are not from 1Password itself, it's everything else:

• Technology literacy
    • Multiple software proving this functionality.
    • Migrating from other managers
    • Time for people to spending learning
    • Multi platforms and how things look subtly different between them.
    • Explaining how things sync via the cloud. (Trying to explain "the cloud" to my grandparents a few years ago was a disaster. There first comment: "We know what 'the cloud' is as we watched this programme of tv last night about technology and they said it was in a warehouse in Slough"! I just had visions in my head of a run down warehouse in Slough with a giant floating cloud locked up inside of it!

Quite a few of the issues posted previously in this thread are still issues in the latest beta. Main ones for me are the fullscreen mode issues. and the one I run into regularly is if you have an app like Chrome open in FSM and you open 1Password it shows ontop of Chrome and fills the screen but it's not officially in FSM like I left it. It's very annoying.

Thanks again and thanks @dteare !

Neil

• Ben
    Options

Re: #15. I've filed a feature request on this point. :)

Ben

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#1161

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Thanks for that, glad my clarification helped to describe the issue.

Are there likely to be any fixes for the fullscreen issues or have they been parked for the time being?

• Ben
    Options

Are there likely to be any fixes for the fullscreen issues or have they been parked for the time being?

I'm sorry to say I don't have further information on any of those at this point. It looks like they've all been filed, but I don't see any work-in-progress on them. Everybody is pretty well tasked with other fixes and improvements at the moment. That said, I understand these are important to you. I'll keep prodding at any opportunity.

Ben

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

Thankyou so much!

• Ben
    Options

Happy to help. :)

Ben

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

An update to my comments for beta 80500103:

Items marked with ** are the ones REALY REALLY bugging me and would love to see fixed.
    Items marked with FIXED!! are, errr, fixed! THANKYOU!!!
    Items marked CANNOT COMMENT are those I can no longer issue comments on due to a change in my environment, mostly my new 2021 MBP.

(STILL AN ISSUE **) Start another app in fullscreen (eg; Tweetbot), then open 1Password from the dock icon or the icon in your Applications folder. The app opens on top of the fullscreen app (which isn't in itself bad but is a bit weird). The issue is that even though 1Password now has focus, the toolbar in the menubar still shows the menu for Tweetbot. Surely this menu should show the menu for whichever app is in focus.

(FIXED!!!) If you use a four-finger swipe gesture on the trackpad to enter Mission Control and create a new blank Desktop space, then drag the 1Password window up and onto that new desktop space, the cursor just shows a no-entry sign icon and when you let go of the drag, the app just pops back to where it was.

(STILL AN ISSUE **) If the app was in fullscreen when it was closed, then when it is reopened it should restore back to being fullscreen, it does not, it just makes the window as large as possible without being properly in fullscreen mode.

(STILL AN ISSUE) The close "X" button of the Preferences window is driving me insane being on the right-hand side when for consistency with MacOS, it should be on the left. OR, better still, make the Preferences window a real MacOS dialog window. That would help more due to it actually being moveable and able to be positioned outside the 1Password app so content underneath can be referenced for any reason.

(STILL AN ISSUE PARTLY) Options made possible in the web version, from the Apple open source Password Management Resources are still not possible to be used in the Desktop app. I know a new link to the site has been added to WatchTowers warning but mostly it just takes you to the site. It doesn't look like it's using the PMR. I'd expect feature parity from the features enabled by using these on the web version to be in the desktop versions and even mobile versions.

(CANNOT COMMENT) On a machine without Touch ID, using 1Password from a text field in a browser when 1Password needs to be unlocked, still causes you to be thrown over to the 1Password app for the unlock to take place and then throws you back to the browser. The sudden shifts in context are very strange and really mess you up, focus wise. It "may" be that I use my browser in fullscreen mode all the time but not sure. On a machine with Touch ID, it's a much nicer experience as the Touch ID dialog shows up and allows you to authenticate without massive shifts in context. Soooo much nicer. - Note: I don't think I'll be able to test this soon enough as my new machine is arriving in the next week!

(STILL AN ISSUE) One thing that's always bugged me about 1Password is how much it relies on the web addresses having HTTP or HTTPS. I know there is a difference, but most sites these days, the sites are identical and most redirect to the secure version so surely by putting in twitter.com, http://twitter.com or https://twitter.com, that item should be suggested for Twitter? - Recently i've started removing the protocol from URL's, it looks tidier to me and watchtower seems to not complain about them anymore.

(ANSWER PREVIOUSLY GIVEN) I store items in 1Password for family members, friends, and clients. These are logins to accounts that I do not own or have any control over. I'd like a way to be able to mark items that are mine so WatchTower can provide a rating that's accurate for me and not include any insecure stuff (like bad passwords, no 2FA, the account included in a data breach) from other peoples accounts or items. This is the number 1 reason I don't pay much attention to WatchTower:- because it's not focused on just the items I want it to be.

(ANSWER PREVIOUS GIVEN) On the line of a password, you have the "Copy" button and a down arrow to signify more options. With all the horizontal space, surely some of those options in the dropdown could be made into actual buttons in the bar. I really HATE having to click the down arrow button and choose an option. Please just add them as real buttons in the space available and collapse down to the down arrow button when space is at a premium. As the "Copy" option is the primary one in this case, maybe the secondary ones could be slightly smaller in size to visually indicate that but one-click buttons really would improve the UX. - I STILL think something could be done here to improve this but the answer provided makes sense and I value that.

(FIXED!!!) One big dislike (apart from not using Mac native controls) I have about Electron is that the windows / applications tend to resize with a horrible visual glitch on the right and bottom of the windows. This happens also with 1Password 8 beta. Can it be fixed and be smooth and silky? It's like the canvas has expanded but the content within doesn't notice until a slight bit later when it fills in the space. Fixing this would go a long way towards making the window fit in more with other apps (even if the controls are not native.). - I don;t know what you guys did but this is MASSIVELY IMPROVED. Is it just my new MBP or did you guys do something? It's epic!

(STILL AN ISSUE) The new QR code scanner. If using multiple desktops / fullscreen apps or even a multi monitor setup, if the QR code I need to scan is on another desktop / fullscreen app or monitor, it does appear to be able to see the code, let alone scan it. Is it possible for the scanner to be able to find the code in those scenarios?

(STILL AN ISSUE**) When attaching a file to an item, please allow us to drag and drop it into the item rather than having to do it through the file picker. Drag and drop creates a much nicer UX for everyone.

(STILL AN ISSUE**) Why can't fields in an item be dragged around when in edit mode? For example: I just created a new secure note, I added 3 fields but then realised that I wanted a sort of name or identifier for the set of three fields. I created a Section with the name I wanted and then just wanted to move the three fields into that section but wasn't able to. I had to recreate the three fields and delete the old ones. How frustrating! Don't you agree? :)

(STILL AN ISSUE) Just editing an items who's only two fields are "URL" and "password". They are details for an app on my phone. The password is just a 6 character pin code. Everytime I view the item I see the red WatchTower warning me about a Vulnerable Password, there is NOTHING I can do about this. Please give me a way to tell WatchTower "Thanks, I'm aware of this and thank you very much for your kind notification but please f**** off in this one instance." 8-). - I'm aware @Ben answered this above so fingers crossed for a fix on this soon. (or sometime)

(STILL AN ISSUE) In both the item list and the detail view of an item, please add a way to indicate the "category type" of item. Either by way of the type category icons or the icon and name. I am dealing with a "License key" item but nowhere does it tell me it is one?

(NEW COMMENT FROM NEIL) I too wish to join the horde of people asking for Categories to be moved back to the sidebar. It would be much nicer and from the latest beta, do I get the hint it's possibly making a comeback? wink wink.

(NEW COMMENT FROM NEIL) I love the collapsable sidebar shown in the experimental video posted to Twitter. +1 from me on that.

Great work @dteare @roustem @Ben and the rest of the 1Password team!

These posts are getting rather tricky to write! I hope it is all understandable!

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

(NEW COMMENT FROM NEIL) Please allow a password generator to just generate a password and not have it saved somewhere. Currently, due to how annoying this is, I actually use a third party website to generate a password in this scenario (https://passwordsgenerator.net/). This allows me to generate and copy to my clipboard without creating / updating a 1Password item.

I can then manually create a new item or add the password to an existing item later on.

• Happy Monday morning to you, @rctneil! โ˜€๏ธ๐Ÿ‘‹

I see what you mean about these posts getting trickier to write. I think next time around you might as well start a fresh list with your current experiences. We can always scroll up if we want the details on the resolved ones.

I'm excited that you're excited about the collapsible sidebar and indeed you read the tea leaves pretty well that we're experimenting with enabling you to add your categories to your sidebar. Be sure to add your thoughts on the new Exploring sidebar categories thread. ๐Ÿค—

Regarding your new password generator comment, could you elaborate on your use case please? In general we really don't want to allow generated passwords to be copied or filled without storing them anywhere as it's too easy to forget to save a (potentially incredibly valuable) password. This recently got one of our users where they lost their password to their bitcoin after this exact same situation happened to them. Thankfully @roustem gave him the keys to his $25k of crypto so this story had a happy ending, but you can imagine that this solution is not a scalable one. ๐Ÿ™‚

We solved this issue in 1Password in your browser by always saving generated passwords to a vault that you don't see on your sidebar. There's a separate Password History view that enables you to find all your passwords that were generated, serving as a nice safety net incase you find yourself in this situation. By the sounds of it you're already in your browser when you're creating your password so I think this will fit into your workflow quite well. And for the sites where you want to save a new login, it will work even better.

Take care,

++dave;
    1Password Founder

This discussion has been closed.