Where is the password generator?

Options

Comments

• incredibun
    incredibun
    Community Member
    Options

Remembear was a barebones password manager, but had a great password generator.

It had a few details I wanted to ask about.
    I was wondering if it was possible to customize a password creator to generate not only the amount of characters (so we could choose what we needed per website - some allow 12, some allow up to 30 or more), but also the amount of capital letters, small letters, numbers and special characters. And the type of special characters (because some are more special than others and aren't allowed on all websites - like ^ + ~ and so forth).
    Is this kind of customization possible? I used to do some web design and I know it can be a pain, but to make a good password generator that would be really useful would be quite a gem.

I am new to 1Password, only been here a few months, but really enjoy the functionality of this manager. It is much more robust than what I had before. Thanks!

• abulhol
    abulhol
    Community Member
    Options

+1 from me

• PauloV
    PauloV
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Let me add my voice regarding the password generation from the tray icon. I miss this feature a lot as a sysadmin.

• ArnaudL
    ArnaudL
    Community Member
    Options

Please add back the Password Generator !

• Philipbm
    Philipbm
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, me again.

Back again, and again testing how much nagging you guys require to return this clearly very useful power user feature.

This thread has been going for more than a year now, but since you still seem to be entertaining the idea and haven't locked this thread yet, I'll add my voice once more: Please, please bring back the Password Generator in the system tray.

Will it help if I nag every day, or does my voice count only once?

Stop nudging icons and labels around the UI and code some functionality for a change. I dare you. :-)

Thanks.

Philip

• ag_mike_d
    edited February 2023
    Options

Hello folks,

Thanks for your additional requests here for seeing an in app password generator.

The original thought was to not make the password generator too prominent, and to only appear when necessary, as noted, when creating a new item in the app or through the workflow when using a suggested password in a browser.

Could you provide some additional feedback about the use cases where you need to generate a password, but arenโ€™t on a web page with a password field and donโ€™t need to create/save a new item. Any additional feedback you can provide is always helpful when considering these types of feature requests.

ref: 29757795

• mpavitt
    mpavitt
    Community Member
    Options

My primary use case is when I'm in a client app for the first time and it wants me to set up credentials.
    Another is password protecting a document. Thanks.

• Thanks for your quick reply, @mpavitt - I've passed these details along to the team on your behalf.

My primary use case is when I'm in a client app for the first time and it wants me to set up credentials.

In these cases, if you are saving these client app item credentials in the 1Password app itself, would changing your workflow to Create a new item first, then selecting the password field to Create a New Password help?

• mpavitt
    mpavitt
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I think so. It just wasn't intuitive as you typically start with the app and then are faced with creating the password.

• Hi @mpavitt,

Thanks for letting me know. I can understand where creating passwords for a client app would make this process more difficult. The next time you need to do follow this process, start with 1Password and give this a try. Let us know how you get along.

We'll be here to help if you need anything further!

• miken101
    miken101
    Community Member
    Options

I shall add my +1 for an easy access password generator.
    Having used 1Password on our business account over the last couple of years I migrated my family account from Lastpass to 1Password a month or so ago. The password generator was a feature I regularly used in both Lastpass on my own desktop and in the older version of 1Password on my business laptop.
    Not having this feature anymore is a right pain when having to create passwords for users which are never stored form my end.

• JForce
    JForce
    Community Member
    Options

Add me to the list of those who have come from Lastpass, and would love to see a simple button-press to generate a password.

I suppose my question to 1P would be, why wouldn't you want it to be as easy as possible for people to generate decent passwords, regardless of the situation? Sure, in 90% of cases it will be done via adding the credentials to 1P, but there are plenty of situations where a mobile app or a website or an enterprise system won't interface with 1P, or won't result in stored credentials, and having an easy ability to generate a pw seems like a no-brainer.

• Hello @miken101 and @JForce,

Thanks for your support of this feature to bring the password generator to the 1Password 8 app as an easier to access functionality. I've included your requests for the team. ๐Ÿ‘

ref: 31359223
    ref: 31359352

• jk123456
    jk123456
    Community Member
    Options

How is this a missing feature in 2023? Looks like I'll have to use bitwarden after all :(

• ekh00
    ekh00
    Community Member
    Options

Coming from lastpass, I do miss this feature. My use cases will be similar to mpavitt -- mostly acrobat docs for opening / editing or seriously long ones to prevent people from "editing" them in Illustrator. Otherwise would be for zip files and other public distributable content.
    Of course, when I reset passwords for users, I may need to generate decent enough passwords for 1 time use like "w2hgY%6&k" so a customizable generator would be helpful. Perhaps it can be toggled "show advanced options" -- I do encounter some sites, mostly municipal types or small biz that don't accept all punctuations.

• Hello @jk123456 and @ekh00,

Thanks for your feedback.

@jk123456, while feature continues to exist in 1Password in the browser (Create a custom password) and the app, the app version is tied the creation of a new item. I'm sorry to hear the lack of a standalone version of the password generator in the app has deterred you from using 1Password.

I've included the feedback from both you, for our Product team.

ref: 31395928
    ref: 31396033

• Unsafenow
    Unsafenow
    Community Member
    Options

I only just migrated to Ver 8 from my stand alone lifetime license (Ver 7). Have posted comments elsewhere on that move :)

I used the password generator regularly for documents, other files and even folders. I can ofcourse use a third party tool but was useful using 1Password.

Add my vote.

• Hello @Unsafenow,

Thanks for your message and migrating over to 1Password 8 for Windows. With regard to your feedback about your use cases for the password generator, I've passed this along to the team. ๐Ÿ‘

ref: 31715673

• jk123456
    jk123456
    Community Member
    Options

doesnt matter 1password suspended the account with no notice, and i cant login at all. so long then, will move on to a better vendor

• Hello again @jk123456,

I'm sorry to hear you experienced some troubles with your account.

If you were new to 1Password, perhaps your 14 day trial had ended? If this was the case and your 1Password account is frozen, that guide can help with you can do and steps you can take to reactivate your subscription.

To protect your privacy, send all billing or account-related questions directly to us by email:

Email 1Password Support

The 1Password forum is a public space. You should never share personal information here. If you email us, we can securely verify your account and get you help more quickly. Thanks!

• nollahwe
    nollahwe
    Community Member
    Options

Please add my voice/vote asking for the return of the simple and easy-to-access password generator in 1Password. I sorely miss it.

• PatrickV76
    PatrickV76
    Community Member
    Options

Since version 8 no longer has a right click option on the 1password icon in the systray to start the password generator directly, I was wondering if there is a keyboard shortcut or other way to simply open the password generator without using opening the app. I use a lot of password for testing purposes (in scripts for instance) and I really like the option to just generate a password and move on.
    So I would prefer the return of the right click opion but a keyboard shortcut would be the next best thing.

1Password Version: 8.10.3
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Windows 11
    Browser:_ Edge
    Referrer: forum-search:shortcut password generator

• ag_mike_d
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hello folks,

Thanks for your messages.

@PatrickV76 - I've merged your recent discussion into this ongoing thread and passed your feedback (along with @nollahwe's) over to the Product Team.

As mentioned, the password generator is no longer available through the 1Password icon in the system tray and there is not a keyboard shortcut to access this functionality. Currently, this functionality is available through two means:
    1. Create a custom password in your browser.
    2. During the workflow of creating a new item in the 1Password 8 app and clicking the password field, like the steps here when strengthening a password.

If you have any other questions, just let us know. We'll be here to help!

ref: 31937488
    ref: 31937850

• aingerylspod
    aingerylspod
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_mike_d Could you be so kind to also add a vote on my behalf?

I recently moved to 1password, and the missing quick and easy "generate password" feature is annoying. And the workaround of going through "new item" and then discarding the item, or opening a browser to use the browser plugin, is a royal pita.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @aingerylspod! I've gone ahead and filed your feedback with our Product team as well. Thanks for taking the time to let us know this is important to you ๐Ÿ˜„

ref: 32061654

• AlexisA
    AlexisA
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, Could you please note another vote for the quick-access password generator (from the tray)? This upgrade has taken what was smooth and seamless and made nothing but frustration. Adding extra steps where there seems to be no gain for doing so. Simplicity is key in this area and you made things complex and frustrating. As another user noted, even, ironically when creating this account to make this comment the password generator did not work in Safari, though I have the extension loaded.

Another reason why I don't want to use the browser to have to create passwords? Sometimes I use another browser where I do NOT want 1password loaded. So, really, I have to open a browser I am not using to create a password? Or use that overly complex "Add New Item" menu that has now been created?

Further, FINALLY, through searching this forum I figured out how to turn back on my default vault and yet it is still defaulting to the wrong vault. I hope it sort of "learns" since I just turned on the default vault. But still...Frustrating.

Please bring back the quick password generator. Why not? Thanks.

PS I used to be evangelical recommending 1password to family and friends. Now I absolutely will not unless it gets more streamlined again. Seems like you sacrificed efficiency for "cute" icons.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @AlexisA, thanks for adding your +1 here. I've filed your feedback with our product team as well, including the details you've provided about your particular use case ๐Ÿ˜„

ref: 33246998

• WillyMac
    WillyMac
    Community Member
    Options

So, here we are at a year and a half later and no password generator. Is it even on the radar? I mean it's not like you don't have the code for it right?

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @WillyMac, thanks for checking in with us about this! I don't have any updates to share on this at the moment, and I do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

If you would like, I would be happy to pass your feedback along to the team as well. Could you provide any details about your particular use case, and any suggestions for where you would like to see a password generator added? The more detail you can provide here, the better, as this will help us to understand your needs and file a detailed feature request on your behalf.

• Franc
    Franc
    Community Member
    Options

It's 2023 - September and a simple generator with settings (number of characters, special characters, number of numbers, number of special characters) for passwords is nowhere to be found. My favorite 1password removed it and despite all pleas, this functionality has not been restored. Instead just a link to an alternative link https://1password.com/password-generator/ . When realistically will this one-click functionality be restored ?