New Chrome extension is too offensive, I'd really welcome a bit more customization

Options

Dear Team,

1Password seems to be a very promising, good solution to handle passwords.
Based on my experience it works very well with that part.

However there are still room for improvement with the Address (any kind of form ) autofill which is quite cumbersome with the latest Chrome extensions ( it was reported couple of times, like in https://1password.community/discussion/119829/1p-extension-overriding-chrome-autofill-of-addresses)

I had tried the 2.1.4 version available in Chrome web store, (and also 2.2.2 Beta as well) with no luck.
As I see the new Extension hijacks all 3 Chrome autofill features (Password, Payment methods-Credit Card, Address Data) the same time. That makes sense for the 2 first categories and pretty much an advancement compare to former behaviours I experienced.
However, for the Address/Custom Form data fill with 1password just not works very well:

• incapable of filling the entire form at once
  • doesn't identify correct matching fields
  • doesn't anticipate custom field names
  • even though I had set up accurate Identity type records
    This is very annoying comparing to the Chrome autofill which supports all above out-of-the-box.

Also saw the same issue described in thread https://1password.community/discussion/126089/chrome-extension-and-form-fields-autofilling#latest. Unfortunately that topic had been closed and handled privately. I strongly believe that should be a publicly available information & option.

My current choice became the so called 'Chrome Classic Extension' with version 4.7.5.90, which requires the desktop app (1Password7.9.2) to be installed and operate, and currently using 2 custom keyboard shortcut to either inject best matching password, or trigger to open the Desktop app overlay and select the one I need.
I'm kind of comfortable with this solution, however, I like the more tightly integrated behaviour of the new version 2.* Extensions, when we have the 1password icon shown in every field, and Suggestions are immediately displayed on focusing an input field.

My proposal is to have a customization for the Chrome extension to select, which of the 3 form fill (from Password, Payment methods-Credit Card, Address Data) shall be controlled/hijacked by the 1password. (when I'd let 1password to control only Password & Payment methods in my case).
Is there any such option available / planned for 2.* Extension to customize that behaviour?
Alternatively is there a plan to improve more complex/custom form fill more precise as described above?

Some similar option were mentioned in a thread, but I don't find it available any more in the most recent versions:
https://1password.community/discussion/119829/1p-extension-overriding-chrome-autofill-of-addresses

I wish this kind of feature be available to make 1Password really a 100% comprehensive and perfect solution in the fields of sensitive data handling.

Thank you

1Password Version: Version 7.9.2 (70902005)
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: macOS 12.1 (21C52)

Comments

• @peterhorvath

The battle to keep 1Password filling properly across every site on the web is a one without a clear endpoint, so we're always appreciative when you take the time to share your experiences. Contact forms do present a unique challenge, since there is no set standard for developers when they create these. So we do our best to fill based on the HTML attributes that web developers use. Although, as you've found, it's far from perfect.

You're not wrong in your statement that Chrome handles this better. The nice thing about Chrome is that it uses autofill and autocomplete history for forms, which makes it easier to fill if you return to the site again.

With that said, it is entirely possible for both Chrome autofill and the new version of 1Password to co-exist. If you wish to use 1Password for filling ONLY Logins, and not contact forms (via Identities), or payment info (via Credit Card items) - you can adjust permissions as outlined in the second topic link you posted. For reference, I'll include them again for you below. Keep in mind, you will need to re-install the new version of 1Password for your browser to implement these settings:

1. Right-click 1Password's icon in Chrome's toolbar and click Settings.
    2. Under "General" turn off the "make 1Password the default password manager" option.
    3. Paste the following into Chrome's address bar: chrome://settings/autofill
    4. Click Payment Methods/Addresses and more and and allow Chrome to autofill.

Let me know how that works for you.

This discussion has been closed.