Vault that becomes available to certain people upon death

Options
Scrimpie
Scrimpie
Community Member
edited February 2022 in Lounge

I'm considering putting my medical emergency information and estate planning information in 1Password in a shared vault with family members. It also occurs to me that there is information I want to keep private for now, but if I die, I would want a family member to then have access to certain passwords and information after I pass away. I know LastPass has a death contingency you can put in place, where there is an avenue for pre-approved friends or family to file for access. Does 1Password have something like that, or do you plan to in the future?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Scrimpie
    Scrimpie
    Community Member
    Options

It seems I was searching from the wrong page when I thought I searched this topic in the forum and got no results. After I posted this, I searched from a different area and got MANY results. I apologize for the redundancy. I see now that I need to set up a way to deliver the Emergency Kit to loved ones upon my death.

• Hey @Scrimpie:

Totally alright, and I've moved your thread to the Lounge! :smile:

The short version is it's definitely something we hear your ask for, and if we do implement it, it's something we want to be cryptographically secure, not just secured by access controls.

In the meantime, storing a copy of your Emergency Kit with your account password in a safe place, like a safety deposit box, or providing it to a family attorney with any other end of life documents they may store for you as well.

I know that what a colleague of mine has explored is creating an entirely separate executor account (if using 1Password Families), and storing all the documents/items that would be relevant there, in a vault shared between your regular daily use account and the executor account, and storing the Emergency Kit for the executor account. Some of the benefits of doing it this way, rather than storing your Emergency Kit to access your 1Password account include:
    1. Anything you don't want your family to have access to can remain in your Personal/Private vault.
    2. There won't be any need to remember to update the credentials stored on your saved Emergency Kit if you wanted/needed to update your daily use's account password or Secret Key.

With all that said, I've added your feedback to the internal issue we have on the subject. Thank you for your feedback here, and hopefully in the future we can roll out a comprehensive strategy for the legacy of your 1Password data after your death.

Jack

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#29

• Scrimpie
    Scrimpie
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response. I like what your friend did, and I was thinking along those same lines. I don't have 5 family members, so I can definitely use one to create an executor account. This is actually perfect. Then all I need to put in the safe deposit box is a thumb drive with the emergency kit on it, or maybe just a paper printout, or both, and some printed basic instructions that are general enough that I won't have to worry that they'll get outdated, and those can point toward how to access the vault that I can continually keep up to date.

I think I have a plan. :)

• @Scrimpie

I would strongly recommend a printout at a minimum. Another user here in the community mentioned that they had new drives fail. Paper is my method of choice to go along with my now grey hair and some wisdom from over the years,

• Scrimpie
    Scrimpie
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you.

• On behalf of Tommy, you're very welcome @Scrimpie! 😀

This discussion has been closed.