Why does the WIndows version of 1Password look so different from the Mac version

Options

Tags is missing from the sidebar in the Windows version. The Windows version doesn't seem to even have this feature at all.
The UI just looks so plain.

Most of the fields under Software- look like they are grayed out (disabled)
ie (Licensed To, License Key, Company, etc...)

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2013
    Options

Please see the relevant section in the FAQ:

Why doesn't 1Password for Windows look like 1Password 3 on my Mac?

• mufli
    mufli
    Community Member
    Options

Hi!

Work on 1Password for Windows was begun many months ago, when 1Password 3 was still in beta development, and the decision was made to base the design and features of 1Password for Windows on the product that was current at that time, 1Password 2. We’ve moved way beyond that in features, already, but the look and organization are still closely matched to 1Password 2.

Please be assured that we plan to introduce many of the features and much of the look of 1Password 3 in future releases of 1Password for Windows.

1Password 4 for MacOS is coming soon and windows users are still sitting on the old 1Password 2 look :-(
    When will there be an update?

Thanks!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I can't give any details or a time frame, but I will make sure the developers know you are looking forward to a new version of 1Password for Windows as well. :)

If we can be of further assistance in the meantime, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• Fireshot
    Fireshot
    Community Member
    Options

Sure seems like all you are here for is to deflect questions about the abandoned Windows/Android apps.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We are working on all platforms, including Windows.

Please don't tell me Khad is here to "deflect questions" because a quick look at his responses will tell you he's actually helping out a lot of people here.

• Fireshot
    Fireshot
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, I understand that many people need and are receiving help with the current version. However in general the 1Password applications for both Windows and Android have been all but abandoned in terms of features and updates. In fact it has been at version 1.x for over 3 years. The "full" Android version is no where to be found.

In that time iOS has updated from 3.1.3 to 6.1.4. Android has updated from 2.2 to 4.2.2.

It's very frustrating. When I first bought 1Password I bought the Windows and Mac bundle. I was initially appalled at the difference between the two, but the posts on the forums made it clear that feature parity and the interface were priorities. So I didn't mind assuming that the truth had been told and a large effort was being put into the Windows version.

I also had an iPhone at the time, so I bought the iOS version. Then I got an Android tablet and again I was appalled at the differences. Yet once again the forums were full of "we are working on it" and it will be great messages. At least they were smart enough not to charge for the app.

But the only thing Agilebits has to offer Windows and Android users are empty promises. I'm not blaming the Dev(s) as I'm sure they are working hard but clearly platforms outside of the Apple ecosystem are bottom of the barrel priority at least to the company.

• MikeT
    edited May 2013
    Options

Hi @Fireshot,

I understand the frustrations, we apologize, and we'll do a better job at this. We have many things that we're working on for the new versions of Android and Windows.

I hope you'll like what we've done when it is released and the long wait would be worth it.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2013
    Options

The Windows version has not been abandoned. We're still releasing updates on a regular basis. You're saying you are "appalled" at the differences -- what features are you missing from the Windows version? I believe the feature set is almost identical. The differences are mostly cosmetic.

• Fireshot
    Fireshot
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT - I'm sorry I just can read anything more into that then Marketing... Look at the Android forum. Look at how long the promises of soon have been going on. The only excuse for the years long delay is that Android isn't a priority. Which is fine in itself as long as you are honest about it. However the talk is always about how it's being worked on and it will be great but we can't give a release window. The fact is when people ask about the Android version the answer should be "We are working on a full version, however it is the least prioritized version and therefore it's release is years away. If Android support is important to you then 1Password might not be the product for you.

As for the Windows version, I appreciate that it has had numerous improvements, however it still looks like a Windows XP app. Windows XP was released over a decade ago. when you see 1Password side by side on Windows and Mac the initial reaction is poor to the Windows version.

@Stefan - Actually I said I was "initially appalled". Which I was. And updates have been coming, but no where near on par with the Apple version. As for feature differences, my Mac actually died a few months back so I cannot give accurate specifics on the differences anymore. However I know that they did exist. Off the top of my head I hate having to log into the extension and the app separately. For windows 1Password cannot auto fill HTTP authentication boxes and the Mac version used to be able to.

In closing it's just frustrating.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2013
    Options

Look at how long the promises of soon have been going on.

I'm sorry if any of our posts have been misconstrued as promises. You are demonstrating precisely the reason we never make promises about future products or give release dates. Many factors (some beyond our control) affect development efforts.

If Android support is important to you then 1Password might not be the product for you.

If 1Password is not the right solution for you at this time, then we will keep working hard in the hopes that one day it is.

As for the Windows version, I appreciate that it has had numerous improvements, however it still looks like a Windows XP app. Windows XP was released over a decade ago. when you see 1Password side by side on Windows and Mac the initial reaction is poor to the Windows version.

Thank you for letting us know that you do not personally like the appearance of 1Password for Windows. Your are entitled to your opinion, and we appreciate you sharing it with us. Constructive feedback is more helpful than just saying you don't like the way it looks, so please do let us know if you have something specific you would like to see improved.

Off the top of my head I hate having to log into the extension and the app separately.

Universal Unlock is available in 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows. You'll need to enable it in both the main 1Password app and the extension. The specific instructions are slightly different depending on the platform and browser, so let me know which platform and browser if you need more help enabling Universal Unlock.

For windows 1Password cannot auto fill HTTP authentication boxes and the Mac version used to be able to.

Browser extension APIs do not provide a way for 1Password to fill HTTP auth prompts on either platform. However, in this regard 1Password for Windows actually has the advantage since it provides a way to fill them via the Auto-Type feature.

As you can see, at least in those two instances 1Password for Windows meets or exceeds 1Password for Mac. But I can certainly understand that you have a personal preference for the appearance of 1Password for Mac. I myself prefer the entire look of OS X to Windows. :)

This discussion has been closed.