1Password can't verify the identity of your web browser

2»

Comments

• TouringComplete
    TouringComplete
    Community Member

Same problem here. I have a lifetime subscription for 1PW. After the Chrome update, the browser signature is no longer recognised. A Chrome downgrade is out of the question for security reasons. So the only option is to copy and paste or upgrade to 1Password 7. 1Password 7 without a self-hosted feature is not an option for me (joshAI has stated the reasons nicely). As a security-conscious IT guy, it is now time to switch to an alternative password manager (Bitwarden Premium with 2FA looks promising to me).

• Hi folks,

@varenc:

It looks like your original comment may have gotten caught by our filters, I've just let it through.

@pjrobertson:

While it's definitely technically possible to continue to use standalone vaults combined with a 1Password account in 1Password 7, we would strongly recommend against it. While it would allow you to upgrade the app, the vast majority of our efforts, from both a development standpoint and a support standpoint are focused on 1Password accounts now. We're relatively limited in our ability to troubleshoot third party sync issues beyond the scope of our available guides. Additionally, features that are added may require a 1Password membership vault, and will not work in a standalone vault. With that said, standalone vaults will no longer be available in 1Password 8, as it supports 1Password accounts only.

@TouringComplete:

Thanks for your additional feedback. Stay safe out there when it comes to choosing another password manager, and we'll be here if you'd like to give us another chance in the future.

Jack

• macklee
    macklee
    Community Member
    edited March 2022

While 1P certainly has the right to move on from supporting software that's several years old, it's disappointing for those of us who use it. Their subscription prices are actually pretty reasonable, so certainly worth paying a couple bucks a month to keep all your passwords secure.
    However, I'm also not keen on adding all my passwords to the gigantic treasure trove of 1P hosted passwords, so 1P8 looks like a dead-end (though I can understand why they are doing it).
    Perhaps our effort would be best spent on trying to get Chrome to continue using the previous signing certificate in future updates. Probably the optimal way to do that would be to go in Chrome to the 1P help page about the topic, https://support.1password.com/kb/202203/ and then Report An Issue (cmd-option-shift-i, or under the Help menu) and ask them nicely if they would continue to use the old signing certificate. If enough people bring this up, maybe they will do it!

• varenc
    varenc
    Community Member

@macklee It's going to be a huge challenge to convince Google to change Chrome's signing mechanism... especially so late in the game. No doubt this change has been coming for many months and now that it's released publicly the ship has probably sailed. (Presumably Agile Bits devs used the Chrome Beta to catch this issue earlier before it went to everyone)

Also just to say it again, if you're on 1P6 and don't want to cloud host your vaults, you can still use standalone vaults with 1Password 7, provided you pay for the $36/year subscription membership. (one year is about half of the old standalone price). To Jack's point, you're of course missing out on all the new development work, and the future of 1Password is certainly cloud hosted, but if you're a user still running 1P6 you don't appear to care. And 1P7 will already be very new from your perspective.

Also there's the risk that when 1Password 8 comes out of beta it may become even harder to upgrade to 1Password 7 and standalone vaults. And since 1Password 8 only supports cloud hosted vaults you could be out of luck. So I recommend 1P7 + standalone vaults while it's still relatively straightforward.

• AnthonyP
    AnthonyP
    Community Member

Reading through this forum post is so sad.
    I too am a standalone user with ZERO interest in switching to a cloud based system.
    We have around 10 standalone copies that we paid for at our company and everyone is facing this issue with Chrome.
    I really dont want to move away from 1Password but I have to start looking for a new standalone method.

• Hi @AnthonyP:

I'm sincerely sorry to see you and your organization go. If you're willing to talk with our business team to discuss if 1Password Teams may be right for you, please get in touch with us at business@1password.com. If it's imperative that you manage your passwords locally however, stay safe out there when it comes to choosing a new password manager, and we'll be here if you'd like to give us another chance in the future.

Jack

• AnthonyP
    AnthonyP
    Community Member

Just to be clear. @Jack.P_1P Im not exploring other options because I want to, its because im being forced to.

• Standalone vaults are not going to be part of our business going forward.

What is the future of local/standalone vaults?

1Password membership is the future (and, frankly, the present). I understand not everyone is on board for that. We'd be happy to talk through any reservations, but if it is a non-starter, we're sorry to see you go. I hope you're able to find a password management solution that you're comfortable with and confident in. Perhaps circumstances will change in the future and we'll be able to win you back. I look forward to that opportunity if that ever becomes the case. 👍️

Ben

• paddypdx
    paddypdx
    Community Member

If 1Password won't update the 6.8.9 browser extension for Chrome and like me, you instead use the most recent version of Chrome that it did support (98.0.4758.82) and then if you suffer an attack because of a vulnerability, is there a case to sue 1password? Maybe a class action?

• saweber
    saweber
    Community Member

After searching the web for a while and trying different solutions to fix the problem, I finally stumbled across this article which explains succinctly that 1Password 6 no longer supports Chrome. On the main support page, it would have been nice if it was stated prominently "1Password 6 no longer works with the latest versions Chrome and Safari." While I understand why software companies have adopted the SaaS model, I'm definitely getting subscription fatigue. All good things must come to an end and 1Password has been a great product. However, this is the perfect time to re-evaluate options for password management. Since our family uses only Apple products, we'll be switching to the free, built-in alternative Keychain. Not sure how to do so? https://medium.com/macoclock/i-switched-from-1password-to-keychain-heres-why-328806e9141

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2022

Welcome to the 1Password Support Community, @saweber! Thanks for the comments, and we'll be sad to see you go. I understand a number of users aren't happy with software subscriptions, but as we've made clear over time, licenses are no longer being sold for 1Password for Mac. Version 7 was the last version to be sold with a standalone license option, beginning in May 2018 and ending just a few months ago. 1Password 7 for Mac will likely remain viable for a while to come, but the time to be able to purchase a standalone license for it has come and gone, after more than three and a half years. At this point, membership is the way forward with 1Password, both in the upcoming 1Password 8 and in the existing 1Password 7.

Folks who chose not to purchase a license for 1Password 7 for Mac while they were available and are using even older versions can continue to use those versions as long as they continue to work. What that means is: when a new version of 1Password is released, the previous version is put into maintenance mode, meaning active development stops on it, and only critical security fixes would be applied if needed -- not compatibility updates. If a person continues to use hardware and OS/browser versions that were current when a given version of 1Password was current, it might continue working for a long time. However, most people don't keep their systems frozen in amber to avoid having to upgrade one piece of software. People buy new computers, they upgrade their OS version, and they upgrade their browsers. As long as people do this - and it is a good idea to keep the critical components of one's system as current as possible - then older software will slowly become less and less compatible with the new technologies. This is true of not just 1Password but of any software a users insists on keeping an old version of installed on new devices where everything else has been updated to current versions.

And that's also why we've consistently said this across multiple communication channels, each time a new version has been released or an update to browsers breaks compatibility with legacy versions of 1Password. Just on this forum:

August 2021:

...if, like most people, you continue to upgrade your hardware, version of macOS, and your browser(s), 1Password 7 for Mac will continue to work with both 1password.com accounts and standalone vaults and advanced syncing...but there will be increasing incompatibilities over time as technologies used in those areas continue to develop and older code is retired.

December 2021:

...eventually, an old-enough version of any software will simply not work on the newest OS, hardware and browser. We do continue to offer support for very old versions of 1Password, but if someone tells us they're having a problem with 1Password 3 for Mac, for example, our first question is likely to be what version of macOS and browser they are using. If the answer is that they are still using versions of both that were current when 1Password 3 for Mac was, we can help. But if the user tells us that they've been keeping their browser and OS up to date, then our support will probably consist of advising that person to upgrade their version of 1Password as well, due to increasing incompatibilities.

July 2019:

Standalone licenses, by contrast, are what they've always been: they grant the buyer a "forever" license to install and license the version of 1Password for which the license was purchased. So if you buy 1Password 7 for Mac, you can install and use it on as many Macs as you own/use that can run versions of macOS with which 1Password 7 for Mac is compatible. But your license for 1Password 7 for Mac doesn't entitle you to future upgrades, or other platforms like 1Password for Windows. Make sense?

I don't have a crystal ball regarding what the future holds in terms of standalone licenses and subscriptions, but I'll reiterate that purchased licenses never expire -- you can use them forever if you still have hardware and versions of OS and browser(s) that are compatible. They don't include updates for compatibility or new features, but your license(s) never expire. Hope that's helpful.

And finally, from the March, 2016 Wayback Machine archive of our old Licenses page:

Upgrade Policy

When you purchase AgileBits software your license will never expire and you can use it on the current version of the licensed application indefinitely. While the license itself will never expire, system updates from Apple could cause certain aspects of some software to stop working. For example, the Safari 5 upgrade stopped 1Password 2 from working correctly and required an updated version of 1Password.

Historically, AgileBits has been very generous with upgrades. Your purchase entitles you to free updates until the next major version upgrade. That means if you buy a license for version 2 of a product, you will get all 2.x releases for free, but upgrading to version 3 might require another purchase.

Please note that this upgrade policy is valid only for software sold and distributed directly by AgileBits. This policy is not applicable to software sold by other distributors, including the Mac App Store, iTunes App Store and Android Marketplace.

We're never happy to see users leave because they've decided that 1Password no longer suits their requirements, but we understand no product can suit everyone's needs. As Ben said earlier in this thread, we hope you'll be back someday. Until then, stay safe out there.

• saweber
    saweber
    Community Member

Thanks for the feedback @Lars. My frustration was mainly that the message coming from 1Password and resulting internet searching and research on the Support site didn't really convey the cause of the issue, 1Password 6 no longer supports Chrome. When launching Chrome, the message from the plugin says, "1Password can't verify the identity of your web browser". When clicking on the 1Password plugin icon in Chrome it says, "1Password extension (desktop app required)".

It doesn't say "1Password 6 is legacy software and no longer supports Chrome. Please upgrade to 1Password 7 (or 8)." I spent a bunch of time searching and trying to figure out that this is the real reason that the Chrome extension doesn't work. As I stated previously, it would have been nice if on the main support page, it was stated prominently that "1Password 6 no longer works with the latest versions Chrome and Safari." Let's help others who are in the same situation!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@saweber - the legacy 1Password extension is no longer being developed either, as we transition to memberships only in 1Password 8, so the pop-up there is doing the best it can. But I apologize for the confusion and extra time spent discovering what was happening; looks like there are some things we can learn for the future regarding ubiquity of communication regarding changes to legacy versions.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2022

Welcome to the 1Password Support Community, @alfons! Thanks for registering to jump in and share your opinions on this topic. As demonstrated in the above quotes on the topic from nearly a decade's worth of public comments, we tend not to use the unfortunate industry terms "lifetime" or "perpetual" for standalone licenses, precisely because those terms tend to convey an inaccurate picture of what's actually being offered.

I know of very few software developers who offer a "lifetime" license in the sense I think it is being referred to in this thread: as a license that will forever be maintained with compatibility updates to work with associated programs that change and are updated over time by the user. Of the "lifetime licenses" I've seen that do fit this description, most fall into two categories:

1. They have a very expensive up-front cost, because the developers know that each sale is the first, last and only time they will see any revenue from each customer, so the "perpetual" updates they will have to continue to make to the software depends upon steady, continual sales of the product to new customers. And the devs also know this is something that gets more difficult with every passing successful year, as more potential customers become "perpetual" users with expectations of maintenance but no further obligations to fund ongoing development. This is a generally unsustainable business model, which is why it's rare, or:
    2. "Lifetime licenses" are offered at least partially in bad faith because the developers know going in they don't plan to support the product for long.

Beyond those uncommon edge-cases, most software developers as well as their customers understand that no particular version of an application will be maintained forever. And that's why we sometimes get a little long-winded when describing what our licensing model did and did not mean: because we're aware of the misperception the popular terms ("lifetime" and "perpetual") can conjure up, and we want to be clear that we were following the generally understood software industry practice of free in-version updates and support, paid full-version upgrades, and ongoing customer support (but not development) for legacy versions, as long as they continue to work on newer devices/OSes.

It's also worth reiterating here that any user of an older version of 1Password for Mac who purchased a license for 1Password 7 for Mac is not experiencing this problem. this is only an issue for users who chose to continue to use versions of 1Password after they had entered legacy status and been replaced by a new version. A few people may be hardware-limited by the maximum OS their Macs can run, but 1Password 7 for Mac runs on macOS as far back as High Sierra, meaning that the Macs which are hardware-limited to OS X 10.11 (“El Capitan") are from the 2009-2010 era. That means anyone with a Mac that's a decade or less old can run 1Password 7 for Mac. We invite anyone with a Mac that meets those very broad requirements to upgrade to a copy of 1Password 7 for Mac and explore 1Password membership, which includes upgrades to all new versions of 1Password across all platforms for as long as the membership is active (paid).

• mystery
    mystery
    Community Member

This is really disappointing. Regardless of how 1Password tries to justify this change, I was led to believe I was getting a lifetime license. Did that seem like a good deal? Sure it did. That's why I bought it.

What alternatives to 1Password would people in this forum recommend?

• dmitryb
    dmitryb
    Community Member

@Ben thanks for sharing link to that post.
    The post unfortunately doesn't address my concerns but at least there was a link to a survey about self-hosted 1Password service.
    I encourage other people in this thread to fill it out.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dmitryb - definitely! We are still collecting feedback on who among our customer base would like to set up a self-hosted instance of the 1password.com server software on their own devices. I'd encourage everyone interested in such a possibility to fill the survey out as well. 😃

• Skurfur
    Skurfur
    Community Member

I feel baited and switched. After 800+ entries, I'm in a long-term relationship 1Password. Now your feelings have changed to a subscription based! I understand the argument for average people losing their master password or wiping their password database and fair compensation, but give us nerds the advance option of local (no cloud except our own) and don't do the subscription model. You're better than this. This was fantastic software and I've been thankfully paying for every upgrade until 1Password 7.

Over 10 years ago, I looked hard before proposing to a password management system that was 1. Offline (no cloud except my own) 2. Not subscription based. 3. Synced with Android. 4. Autofilled with Chrome.

For now, I'm begrudgingly staying on 1Password 6, leveraging Chrome's password management and lustfully eying other password managers on the street.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the 1Password Support Community, @Skurfur! Thanks for taking the time, after more than ten years, to register and comment. 🙂

For now, I'm begrudgingly staying on 1Password 6, leveraging Chrome's password management and lustfully eying other password managers on the street.

While my first suggestion would be to switch to a 1Password.com membership, if you already are sure you’re not interested in those benefits, then I would strongly suggest you find a different password management solution that better fits your current preferences. 1Password 6 for Mac was put in legacy mode in May 2018 when 1Password 7 for Mac was released, and it will not be developed further. That includes the legacy Chrome extension.

We'll be sad to see you leave, but not as sad as we'd be to see you risk using older versions of any critical security software on your devices - not just 1Password, but your browser(s), OS, and anything else security-related. Whatever you choose, stay safe out there.

• joshAl
    joshAl
    Community Member

Thanks all for commenting. Glad to know I can still use 1Password7 with with a standalone, it'll make a nice bridge until I have to switch off. I don't mind paying at all btw. I'd happily pay twice as much to keep standalone going.

I'm curious does a 1Password for families subscription work for this standalone vault scenario or is that a one way off ramp to "1Password keeps the passwords" world?

This discussion has been closed.