Drag and drop losing characters

Options
martinsteel
martinsteel
Community Member

Dragging and dropping usernames and passwords sometimes loses characters. This is most reproducible (50%+) in remote desktop windows but also occasionally happens in browsers. Normally seems to be one of the first few letters.

Drag and drop is from the entry displayed in the main 1password window. No addons etc. involved.

Here's a (anonymised) example:
Saved Username:
DOMAIN\martin

Usernames from drag & drop:
DMAIN\martin
OMAIN\martin

1Password Version: 8.6.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11 21H2

Comments

• Hi @martinsteel, thanks for this question. I'm not sure I've come across this before, but I'll try to reproduce it and will run it by some other folks here as well. Thank you for letting us know - and we'll hope to have more for you soon!

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @PeterG_1P, just in case it helps, I've done a bit more testing.

I can reproduce on a couple of different computers with both Windows 10 and 11 and it has affected all 1password versions from 8.4 upwards (not tried any v8 releases before that).

• PatchCharron
    PatchCharron
    Community Member
    Options

Hi everyone,

I was just coming to the forums to make the same post as Martin about Remote Desktop (RDP) with drag and drop. I've had sporadic issues since 8 released, but its gotten much worse recently. In the past I would just try again and it would work, now I'm seeing failures in the 80%+ of the time.. Enough to just have had my account locked.

Strangely I've been seeing the Mandarin character: 䀀 getting copied 1/10 times as the second or third character. [neither the source or destination machine has Mandarin language pack installed]

Same as Martin that its always the first character or the first and second character, the rest of the string seems to copy fine.

Any fix would be welcomed. Having to reveal and type 32 character passwords each time a RDP locks is quite annoying.

Thanks!

• PeterG_1P
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hi @PatchCharron, thank you for letting us know about this, and I'm sorry you've encountered this issue as well. We appreciate the additional detail here so we can better characterize and track down this issue.

Likewise, @martinsteel - thanks for reproducing across devices.

I have filed an issue for our developers to take a look at this, and we'll hope to have more for you as things go forward.

ref: dev/core/core#13810

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

@PeterG_1P
    I also had this issue some month ago. There I posted a video when I remember right. I'm not able to find the discussion to that. But actually this issue does not appear for me... 🤔

• Thanks @Denalb for the additional detail. I'll see if I can track down the older discussion, and in case I can't find it, hopefully what's reported here will provide a sufficient evidence base to pin down the issue. It's good to know that it's not currently affecting your functionality in the app, too!

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hi again @PeterG_1P !

I just found my comment about this issue...
    https://1password.community/discussion/comment/602624/#Comment_602624

@Blake filed this issue for that behavior:
    ref: dev/core/core#8386

Maybe it helps a bit?

• ag_mike_d
    edited April 2022
    Options

Hello @DenalB, I'll be sure to make note of this older filled issue so the team is aware. Thanks so much for your help here!

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @PeterG_1P any luck reproducing this or feedback from the dev team? It's still happening in 8.7.0 beta on Windows 10 & 11.

I'm getting used to seeing a lot of messages like this 😔:

• Hi @martinsteel. I'm sorry for the continued issues here with dragging and dropping losing characters. This has been reported a few times now and has been filed with the development team. Unfortunately, we do not have any additional news to share at this time. Your patience is appreciated.

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_mike_d dragging and dropping passwords seems worse in 8.8.0.

In build 119 I'm losing 1 or 2 of the first 4 characters on every single attempt. Looking at what's happening it appears that setting focus and inputting the characters are slightly out of sync with each other.

• Hello @martinsteel - I'm sorry to hear that things are worsening in this later build of 1Password 8 when dragging and dropping passwords. We appreciate you following up. I've included these updated details in our issue tracker for the development team. Thank you for your patience.

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

@ag_mike_d any news on drag and drop being fixed? It's been 6 months now and the feature still doesn't work.

Build 80907017

• Hello again @martinsteel,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I don't have any news to share on the issues you've encountered related to the drag and drop losing characters. However, in a recently released Beta, we've added the feature to allow you to “Type in window”. While understand you've had issues with context menus on some touch devices, you can now right-click on item fields and select “Type in window” to fill the contents of the field in the open window of your choice. If you'd like to try out the Beta, could you let us know how this works for you? Thank you!

Use 1Password beta releases

• Hello @martinsteel / @PatchCharron / @DenalB,

I have some good news to share!

A new Beta (8.9.7-31) was released today and includes the following fix for extra or missing characters when using "Type in window" or drag and drop. While this specifically mentions Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) sessions, if folks are still seeing an issue, could you please test this out and let us know if you are still seeing any troubles: Use 1Password beta releases

Thanks and looking forward to your replies!

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @ag_mike_d !

Great news. Thanks. 👍

Just installed beta build 8.9.7-31 and will have a look if drag and drop is working now.

• @DenalB - do let us know if you see any problems. Thank you as always!

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

I will be back ... Promised, @ag_mike_d ! 😉

• @DenalB 👍

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_mike_d That was good timing 😁

Only done a few quick tests but initial impressions are it's working much better 🎉 I'll let you know if I have any problems early next week.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

I also tested drag & drop. Till now there was no problem. Let's hope it stays that way. 😉

• Hello @martinsteel and @DenalB - We really appreciate the feedback here about drag and drop. Glad to hear you've each had success. Let us know if you see any further difficulties.

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hi @ag_mike_d, more feedback on drag and drop. It's definitely working better but is completely useless dragging in to any sort of remote session. Both of these examples worked absolutely fine in 1Password 7.

Applications over Remote Desktop has the same problem as before where some of the first characters are dropped, such as filling in a field in a browser that's open on that Remote Desktop.
    e.g. my.email@domain.com becomes something like memail@domain.com

Apache Guacamole (web based remote access) is even worse and drops a significant number of characters.

• We appreciate the updated feedback, @martinsteel.

I'm happy to hear this is working better, but you are still seeing constant issues with remote and applications over remote desktop. I've included these updates for the team. We'll be in touch once when we have more news to share.

• ag_mike_d
    edited March 2023
    Options

Good morning @martinsteel,

After some follow up from the team, the reason this isn't as reliable in 1Password 8 is because version 7 didn't support multi-line drag-n-drop and type-in-window. This led to a change in some of its function.

Since this behaviour is much more consistent for you, this presents a great opportunity if you're able to help with some testing. If you're interested, could you send a new email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com and include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/128188/drag-and-drop-losing-characters
    • Your forum username: martinsteel

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here and we'll follow up and get you some more details. Thanks!

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_mike_d support ticked raise :) ID is 119701

• Thanks, @martinsteel!

I've located the ticket and will be in touch shortly.

ref: TLK-92228-393

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_mike_d after agreeing I'd be happy to do some testing with Nightly I never heard anything back from support about what they'd like testing.

Is there any news on this being fixed?

• Hello @martinsteel,

Are you on the Nightly at the moment? If not, give this a try and let us know if you're still seeing troubles. I'd be happy to pass any additional test results along to the team. Thanks!

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_mike_d I'm on nightly and no obvious change. From the initial reply it sounded like there were some particular things they were going to ask me to test but then they didn't say anything.