Drag and drop losing characters

Options
2»

Comments

• @martinsteel - Sorry for the delay over the long weekend that you're still experiencing issues.

The team had worked on re-writing the drag and drop features in Nightly. Could you let us know more about your current your experience? For example, does this continue to fail about 50% of time as before when dragging and dropping to remote desktops? Any other details you can provide would be helpful for the team to reopen the issue and continue the investigation. Thanks!

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hi @ag_mike_d

Drag and drop is working much more reliably on applications running locally on the computer, the issue of it consistently messing up the first couple of characters there seems to be fixed.

For dragging in to a remote desktop I'd say the failure rate is around 90% and what you end up with can be anything from

• Parts of password missing
    • Password out of order e.g. ABCDEFGHIJKLMN becomes HIJKLMNABCDEFG
    • Nothing appears at all
    • Focus jumps to another form field
    • Garbled text e.g. Kanji characters for an ASCII password (this one is rare)

I'm sometimes working on remote desktop over an extremely high latency link (0.5-1 second RTT via geostationary satellite), it never works on these. Most of these issues look like a timing issue, along the lines of characters being input before focus has been correctly set.

On the plus side type in window is working much better now adays so provides a work around in a lot of cases although less convenient to use and doesn't work in every application e.g. doesn't work at all in VMware Remote Console.

• ag_mike_d
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hi @martinsteel - I'm happy to hear that drag and drop is working much more reliably in local apps, but still failing this often on remote desktops.

Since you're finding type in window to be working better, that's the best go to in situations where possible.

I've updated the team with your comments here and we'll be back in touch if further feedback/testing is needed. Thanks!

• Hello @martinsteel,

I hope you had a great weekend. Be on the look out for a response to our previous email thread. We've got a few things for you to test and we'll continue the conversation there.

• Andreas2
    Andreas2
    Community Member
    Options

Just to mention that bottlenecks can cause these problems. I suspect this would be more likely to happen if you have an RDP connection using udp instead of tcp, but was not able to verify it. Could you check if you have a UDP connection?
    Another (currently non-existent) solution might be to have a drag&drop using the second mouse button that triggers a menu with two options "start wait X milliseconds; letter wait Y milliseconds" or alternatively just a built-in slower version of autotype.

• ag_mike_d
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hi folks,

We've done some more testing and had some great results when dragging and dropping into RDP sessions, thanks @martinsteel!

If you're still having some issues, would like to try this out and comfortable adding an Environment Variable, I'll include those details below:

Step 1. - Add an Environment Variable
    1. Open the start menu or use Windows search and type in env and press enter.
    2. Select Edit environment variables for your account.
    3. Click New.
    4. Enter OP_CLASSIC_INPUT for the variable name and 1 for the value. Click OK.
    5. Click OK again to exit.

It should look similar to this when you are done:

Step 2. - Download and install the latest Nightly version of 1Password 8 for Windows

Let us know how you make out, so we can pass your feedback along to the team. Thanks!

ref: dev/core/core#13810

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hi @ag_mike_d

Just an update to let you know drag and drop is still working well with the OP_CLASSIC_INPUT environment variable in place. I've had less failures in almost a month of use than I was getting in a hour before.

• Hello @martinsteel,

That's great news! We appreciate the update - I'll let the team know!

For others that are experiencing similar when dragging and dropping into RDP sessions, you could try the steps provided here in a previous post and let us know if you're seeing similar results afterwards? Thanks!

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hi @ag_mike_d has the OP_CLASSIC_INPUT environment variable or something equivalent made it in to the release version of 1Password?

Nightly forgets all my settings every update so I'd like to switch back to something stable.

Forgotten settings that are particularly annoying: "Unlock using Windows Hello" is disabled, Auto-lock goes back to 10 minutes and sorting switches to date rather than title.

• ag_mike_d
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hello @martinsteel,

Thanks for getting back to us. The issues you are encountering with losing your maybe something more that we'll want to look into.

has the OP_CLASSIC_INPUT environment variable or something equivalent made it in to the release version of 1Password?

Let's start here. Yes, this should have been promoted to Production versions of 1Password. To revert to the latest Production version of 1Password, you can follow the steps below:

1. Make sure you are able to log in at 1Password.com and that you have a copy of your Emergency Kit with your password filled in: Get your Emergency Kit
    2. Reset 1Password for Windows: How to reset the 1Password app on a specific device
    3. Uninstall 1Password for Windows: To uninstall 1Password for Windows
    4. Download and reinstall the latest Production version of 1Password: 1Password for Windows - Download

Once you've reverted, please let us know if you continue to have difficulties with the 1Password settings, resetting after future updates.

I'm looking forward to your reply.

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the update @ag_mike_d, hopefully that fixes it. I'll let you know if there are any more problems 🙂

• You're most welcome, @martinsteel.

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_mike_d the drag and drop bug is back in recent versions of 1Password on Windows 11.

Currently on 8.10.27 but it's been happening for a couple of weeks. I've still got the OP_CLASSIC_INPUT environment variable set.

Dragging a password from 1Password to a remote desktop loses a good chunk of the string, normally at the beginning. Sometimes it loses the entire string.

For example testing with a password like abcdef-12345-ghijklm-nopqrs only -ghijklm-nopqrs appeared.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@martinsteel

I'm sorry that the issue has returned. Can you confirm that you still see the issue after updating to 8.10.28 (the latest version at the time of writing: 1Password for Windows Releases

While I plan to look into the drag and drop issue with you further, I'm also interested in hearing if you'd find the new auto-type feature more useful than drag and drop for your uses: Experiment #5 - Auto-type for Windows (Nightly) — 1Password Community

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#13810