Sharing Items Between Family Members

Options
msppiper
msppiper
Community Member

I have Family Plan and I would like to share individual entries in my Master Vault with various family members. Is there a way to copy these individual entries to other family member vaults and to have the shared entry linked back to my Master Vault in the event the entry needs to be modified? As I see it now, these copied entries turn into independent entries stored in the family member's vault.

1Password Version: Mac 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 12.3.1

Comments

• wavesound
    wavesound
    Community Member
    Options

No, items can only be in one vault at a time. You'll need to move them to a shared vault.

• @msppiper

Yes in your scenario they would be independent entries. @wavesound is spot on in recommending the item be relocated to the shared vault and live there.

• msppiper
    msppiper
    Community Member
    Options

So what you are saying is that if I as the family admin will need to create an independent shared vault with each of my family members? This will then make my vault to have an excess number of vaults from the maser vault, each individual family member's private vault and then a shared vault between the admin and the family member. This seems very counter-productive of having a Family Plan and not being able to share the entries and have the admin monitor the entries for the shared families. Please advise if you have an SOP for best practices for this scenario.

• @msppiper

If you want a dedicated vault between you and person A that no one else can access, then yes, you'll need to create it. I have one between myself and son A, another with son B, another with son C and so on. I have others to folks (relatives) where I admin their data. Only the respective users can use this vault. Then we have the default family share for the entire family. Think Netflix password, wifi password. Before kids, it was just the Mrs. and me, and we placed 98% in the default shared vault and a few in our respective Personal vaults.

Create and share vaults

I have several others. One for my estate access that only my eldest son (A) has access. Down the road, as the other kids get more mature, I can easily add them to the estate vault. If not, son (a) will be my executor at that time and also helps with account recovery should the need arise. I highly recommend setting up account recovery from personal experience.

🚑 Recover accounts for family or team members

Yet, another for Travel that contains all our passports and, when the time comes, our travel itineraries. Before traveling, this can also be shared with other family members, so they know all the travel details. It may also come in handy if you use travel mode.

✈️ Use Travel Mode to remove vaults from your devices when you travel

It's taken me 14 years to craft my setup. You'll likely change things more than a few times until you find what works best. I sure did. Let's not go there. Haha. No, no SOP. It's what works for you. That's one of the beauties. It's as little or as much customization as you wish.

• joangoddard
    joangoddard
    Community Member
    Options

@msppiper, your requirements and setup sound similar what I'm trying to do for my family.

We are currently migrating from 1Password 6.x.x to 1Password 8 on MacOS. In our case, my husband and I need/want to have access to each other's vaults. We also have a vault that we share with our daughter, but not with anyone else in the family. We accomplished this back in 2015 with some clever setup in Dropbox (https://1password.community/discussion/45690/best-practices-for-family-emergency-planning#latest).

It looks like in 1Password 8, we cannot share our Personal/Private vaults, so we'll want to move our data in a separate vault that we'll share between my husband and me. And we'll keep the vault that we share with each other and our daughter.

My question is whether the browser extensions will default to storing new logins in our Personal/Private vaults, or is there a way to get the extensions to default to storing in the new vault that my husband and I will share?

Thanks,
    Joan

• msppiper
    msppiper
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your response and for your scenario. I have not decided on how to best accomplish the scenario of shared items between our family members.

• joangoddard
    joangoddard
    Community Member
    Options

Oops, typed @msppiper instead of @ag_tommy. Here's my question again:

@ag_tommy, your requirements and setup sound similar what I'm trying to do for my family.

We are currently migrating from 1Password 6.x.x to 1Password 8 on MacOS. In our case, my husband and I need/want to have access to each other's vaults. We also have a vault that we share with our daughter, but not with anyone else in the family. We accomplished this back in 2015 with some clever setup in Dropbox (https://1password.community/discussion/45690/best-practices-for-family-emergency-planning#latest).

It looks like in 1Password 8, we cannot share our Personal/Private vaults, so we'll want to move our data in a separate vault that we'll share between my husband and me. And we'll keep the vault that we share with each other and our daughter.

My question is whether the browser extensions will default to storing new logins in our Personal/Private vaults, or is there a way to get the extensions to default to storing in the new vault that my husband and I will share?

Thanks,
    Joan

• Hey @joangoddard:

It's definitely possible to configure 1Password in the browser to save items to a default vault. Right click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar, then choose Settings, then change the Save new items in option:

Let me know how you get on with that.

@msppiper:

As Tommy mentioned, there's many different ways to organize your data, so you may find that you're comfortable with a single shared vault for all of your family members' shared secrets, or you may want a few different shared vaults based on age.

Jack

• joangoddard
    joangoddard
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P, you're way ahead of me. I'm glad we can specify the default vault. Thanks so much!

• ag_tommy
    Options

On behalf of Jack, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.