1Password 8 for iOS design language inconsistencies

Options
a_kali
a_kali
Community Member
edited April 2022 in iOS

I found a few design quirks in an otherwise beautiful app.

Small visual bugs

• The 1Password icon is stuck at an awkward angle during the Face ID authentication process
  • Visible artifacts in the icon, requires tidying up.

Layout in Portrait mode

Sidebar is not collapsed by default when used in Portrait mode. Opening and closing Sidebar changes the layout.

Example of a solution

The Files app uses a "back" arrow to open the sidebar in Portrait mode instead of a "sidebar" icon.
The sidebar overlaps the content and doesn't change the layout.

Customize Sidebar modal window

It's inconsistent with the standard experience of reordering in iOS.
You have to long press to reorder instead of simple swiping. The long press feels unreliable, I still can't reorder this list 100% of the time, it frustrates me incredibly.
No visual affordance while reordering.
Checkboxes on the left are used to enable or disable instead of red icons (look sort of like a stop sign 🛑). iOS doesn't even use boxy checkboxes anywhere IIRC, they use their iconic green switch buttons for that.

Example of a solution

Go to Settings > General > Language & Region > Edit. The language list there is infinitely easier to reorder, it provides the visual affordance, and uses a more idiomatic way to enable or disable a list item.
Alternatively, in the Files app, the sidebar categories are enabled and disabled with the green switch buttons (solves literally the same problem 1Password tried to do).

Top-right plus button

In my personal opinion it would look better to use the full word "Create" when used on a bigger iPad screen instead of a small round solitary icon, just like the Files app replaces the round "more" icon with the full word "Select" when the Files app is not in Split Screen

Cog Button

It gives me incredible whiplash to see the thin blue standard icon for the sidebar right next to the custom thicker cog icon.

Sidebar layout

Headers like "Categories" and "Tags" are hard to distinguish from the categories and tags themselves. They use icons of the same size and style as the items under these headers do. Curiously, 1Password 8 for Mac doesn't make this mistake.

Example of a solution

Categories like Locations and Favourites in the Files app. They are compact, collapsible, visually clean, clearly separated from one another, don't need icons.

Tab bar icons

Customs icons instead of the standard ones are used.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iPadOS 15.4.1

Comments

• Thank you so much for this list @a_kali it is incredibly helpful!

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

One additinal note to the sidebar configuration. The desktop apps use preferences -> appearance for sidebar customization. This seems to be a much better place than the current solution with a button at the end of the list. Even better would be inline editing within the list although this always has the risk of changing thinks unintenally.

This discussion has been closed.