Standardized Shortcuts

Options
robert1p
robert1p
Community Member

I recently installed 1Password on my Chromebook, and was surprised when Ctrl-Shift-L did not lock the app. I located the following page:

https://support.1password.com/keyboard-shortcuts/

And I was surprised to find a number of differences between platforms. Is there a reason the platforms don't attempt to support a common standard? i.e. it would make things much easier when jumping between platforms.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hey @robert1p,

Thanks for the question. 😃 We do try to make things as uniform as we can, but it isn't always possible. Every platform has different built-in shortcuts and different expectations about how apps will behave. I'll give a couple examples:

1. On macOS ⌘+H is a standard keyboard shortcut for "hiding" a window. Windows doesn't have any such concept, and so there is no equivalent. Additionally WinKey+H is the standard shortcut for sharing.
    2. On Windows the standard shortcut for closing a window is Alt+F4. On Mac the equivalent is ⌘+W.

In short: the platforms themselves don't have consistency, and any standard we might try to set is unlikely to be available (unused by another existing function) on every platform we support.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.