Shared vault between 1Password.com and Dropbox Sync

Options
optimum
optimum
Community Member

I'm syncing using Dropbox and my friend just purchased a 1Password.com account. I know how to securely share vaults with others via Dropbox, but is there a hybrid approach with 1Password.com? Thank you.

1Password Version: 7.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6

Comments

• @optimum

They would need to invite you to their membership as a member or a guest. Have you given thought to moving to a membership? Now might just be a great time considering you'll be becoming more familiar with it from the sounds of your question. We have some nice promotions available that you might be able to take advantage of.

• optimum
    optimum
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for prompt reply.

So as a member I'd have to pay as an additional user? Guest is non-paying? Any links to articles detailing this?

I'm aware of the promotions, but I'm not interested in membership, thanks.

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2022
    Options

If they have a family membership they can invite up to 5 others (members) for no charge. Guest's (5) are indeed non paying and part of the membership as far as fee's go. A guest will only have access to a single vault. One that the account organizer will specify during the creation process.

Share passwords with your family

Share with guests in 1Password Families

• optimum
    optimum
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the info. What about for Individual memberships? Your recommendations work, except kinda pushy with the upgrades…

• Hi @optimum:

1Password individual accounts don't have access to the guest functionality.

1Password 8 and future versions of 1Password will require a 1Password account, and don't support standalone vaults synced using iCloud or Dropbox.

Jack

• optimum
    optimum
    Community Member
    Options

Alright, no guest functionality. But your team is telling me there is no way to have shared vaults between legacy Dropbox sync users and 1Password.com users? That is the definition of planned obsolescence.

Yeah, I along with many others will probably stay with v7 for the foreseeable future.

• Ben
    Options

The currently shipping desktop apps (1Password 8) do not support Dropbox, and there is no way to view a Dropbox-based vault via 1Password.com or the 1Password 8 apps. One of our founders, Dave, wrote a "mini-essay" on this subject here. The tl;dr though is that 1Password.com is the way forward with 1Password. I'd encourage you to touch base with our migration team via email at support+tradein@1password.com to discuss your specific situation.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• optimum
    optimum
    Community Member
    Options

I see. Thanks for the mini-essay, an interesting read.

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. 😃

Ben

• username254
    username254
    Community Member
    Options

As I have purchased 1password app long time ago I will be moving to MS authenticator. Makes no sense to pay 40eur per year for storing 100 passwords, when iPhone, chrome, ms authenticator, Firefox and any other tool around offer free options.

I was really annoyed that v 7 app was hidden on the App Store.

This discussion has been closed.