macOS Applications and Quick Access

Options
jjohnston
jjohnston
Community Member

In 1Password 7, Quick Access was contextually aware of the macOS applications that had focus and could suggest an entry for those applications. You could add the link to applications by creating a URL in 1Password's entry that looked like: "app://". This no longer appears to work. Is this feature no longer supported or is there just another way of getting at this sort of functionality?

If it's no longer supported, I would very much like to request that feature be returned. It was very handy!

Thanks!

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: 12.3.1

Comments

• fuchsr
    fuchsr
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• Hi @jjohnston:

You can link an app to a Login by searching for it in Quick Access, then choosing to fill it, and selecting "Fill & Update Login" in the dialog. Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• jjohnston
    jjohnston
    Community Member
    Options

That worked great! Love the way it shows the icons for the apps now as "Linked Apps".

A note to future users that might see this post: To get the "Fill & Update Login" option, I had to
    1.) Find the item in Quick Access
    2.) Select "More Actions" (by pressing the right arrow key or clicking the vertical "...")
    3.) Selecting "Autofill"

(I think you can press Shift-Return as a shortcut to selecting "Autofill" as well - still getting used to keyboard shortcuts in 1Password 8)

• fuchsr
    fuchsr
    Community Member
    Options

Not in the beta. This is killing me โ˜น๏ธ

• ag_tommy
    Options

@fuchsr

You could possibly change to production and then back to the beta when the next one drops... I think that would accomplish the goal for you.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Or go the other way and install the Nightly, which by now does include the surprises.

• fuchsr
    fuchsr
    Community Member
    Options

Sure I can work around it, it just really rubs me the wrong way. If you were looking for a way to piss off beta testers (who by definition are keen to see the latest cool stuff first), congrats, you found it.

• ag_tommy
    Options

@fuchsr

We did not look to make anyone angry. If we had placed the features in the beta, they would have been there last week and could have potentially spoiled the surprise for everyone. There are many more betas and many more exciting things to come. I am 100% sure you will get the chance to find new things before the stable channel. Please keep an eye out for new and exciting things.

We're happy to have you on the beta, nightly or production channel. You'll always be a valuable part of this big, shiny, new 1Password 8.

• volts
    volts
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

spoiled the surprise for everyone

That's such a weird way to phrase this. People on beta aren't surprised by new features, they're excited to try them.

Not all features will appear in public beta builds before release.
    AgileBits held this feature back so it could be part of the 1Password 8 press release cycle.

That's fine! Telling people it was for their own good is weird gaslighting.

• Hey @volts ๐Ÿ‘‹ greetings once again.

I don't think Tommy meant that the surprise would be un-welcome to folks on Beta (we figured there'd be a lot of excitement about this, actually!), but rather that a cool new feature which is included in the Beta, even at the last minute, isn't likely to remain under wraps for long. And we did want to provide a surprise "... and one more thing" feature for the release of 1Password 8 for Mac, as you mentioned.

We hope that you do enjoy this new feature when you try it, and really appreciate the feedback you've provided us here over the course of the Beta. I'll have a chat with our development team too about whether there are any ways to smooth the occasional Beta > Production transition in cases like this in the future.

• volts
    volts
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Oh for sure, the feature is GREAT! I don't mind one bit that it was a ...one more thing.

I'm trying to wrap my head around all of the shortcut options in 1Password, the differences between Show and Autofill, and the in-browser shortcuts.

And I'm trying to understand my feelings about Universal Autofill clicking OK or Submit automatically, although it's named AutoFill. It was a huge surprise the first time it happened, especially since web forms are NOT auto-submitted.

• ag_tommy
    Options

@volts

I apologize if you interpreted what I said in a negative way. That was not how it was intended at all. If it came across that way I'm sorry.

I'm trying to wrap my head around all of the shortcut options in 1Password,

Have you seen the shortcut viewer? Press command and /. There are a good many in there.

I blame 1Password for my converting to shortcuts and away from the mouse. ๐Ÿ˜Š They started me on my journey with shortcuts 14 almost 15 years ago with that pesky quick reveal shortcut in 1Password 2.

• appleianer
    appleianer
    Community Member
    Options

@jjohnston I integrated the autofill shortcut into a Keyboard Maestro macro. So I can call up/open the app via Launchbar and don't have to remember any shortcuts.

I always secure my 1Password logins with a Pushover notification. Safe is safe ๐Ÿ˜‰

• volts
    volts
    Community Member
    Options

Have you seen the shortcut viewer?

Yes! That's a nice feature, and really helpful for discovery.

I've posted about this before. A couple of the Quick Access Shortcuts don't work.

Search in 1Password App - Command-Return
    Open & Fill in Web Browser - Shift-Command-F

Scroll down in the Quick Access Shortcuts window: none of the View items are relevant.

• volts
    volts
    Community Member
    Options

I also commented before about how the Quick Access Shortcut Viewer causes the main Quick Access window to close. That's weird; you have to re-open Quick Access after looking up your shortcut.

Similarly Ugh: the Shortcut Viewer for the main app is another blocking fake-modal, so shortcuts don't work when it's open. It would be nice as a regular window - so it didn't interfere with using the application, and so it could be kept open for reference.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

I always secure my 1Password logins with a Pushover notification.

So do I...

Currently using a custom Fastmail Sieve rule.

@appleianer How do you do this?

• appleianer
    appleianer
    Community Member
    Options

@XIII I use a Keyboard Maestro "Third Party Plug-In" which was created by a user.
    You can find more information at this link: https://github.com/kvanh/Keyboard-Maestro-Pushover-Notifications

This allows you to quickly insert images, individual sounds and also a Siri shortcut into the pushover notification.

In my example Gif I use this configuration (red action)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

@appleianer Thanks. Iโ€™m particularly interested in which trigger you use, but donโ€™t see that in your screenshot.

What triggers this KM macro?

• appleianer
    appleianer
    Community Member
    Options

@XIII Keyboard Maestro monitors the app start (red arrow).
    So when you open the desired app, the macro starts and then pauses until the app's login window appears. Then the 1Password autofill login is started.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, I think I misunderstood your "I always secure my 1Password logins with a Pushover notification" before...

You send a notification when you log in somewhere else (App/website) using 1Password?

I was looking for an alternative for my notification when someone logs in into 1Password itself.

• appleianer
    appleianer
    Community Member
    Options

I was looking for an alternative for my notification when someone logs in into 1Password itself.

@XIII You can send the pushover notification every time you enable/run 1Password. As in the following example:

• appleianer
    appleianer
    Community Member
    Options

@XIII since I don't have Touch ID on either iMac or MBP, I use a touch gesture (trackpad) via BetterTouchTool to unlock 1Password.

The Keyboard Maestro macro gets the 1P master password from the macOS keychain. I integrated this macro into BetterTouchTool.
    Here is an example:

Here, too, I have integrated the pushover notification.

You can read an explanation of how to create the Keyboard Maestro macro here:

https://sayzlim.net/secure-password-keyboard-maestro/

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

I'm mainly interested in logins from other systems than my own iPhone, iPad, or Mac/PC.

This discussion has been closed.