Password Generator is missing in Quick Access of 1Password 8

ojix2
ojix2
Community Member

I have upgraded to 1Password 8, and found Password Generator is now missing in its Quick Access window. Any reason for that ?

I found the menu only in its extension window for browsers.
Looks like I need to first open a browser to generate password. Is it really what you guys want us to do ?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• mourogers
    mourogers
    Community Member

I can't find the password generator either — annoying.

• ojix2
    ojix2
    Community Member

Fortunately, this issue has been taken up in a different thread here, and is supposed to be passed on to the company’s development team.

It would be a surprise if this omission did not get any attention during the beta test process of 1Password 8, though.

• PeterG_1P
    edited May 2022

Hi @ojix2, thank you for this question. 👋

The password generator is currently located in 1Password for your browser, since our testing so far suggests that that's where people find it most useful. However, we do have a feature request for a password generator in Quick Access, and I'm happy to add a vote on behalf of yourself and @mourogers. Thank you for letting us know that you would appreciate such an inclusion! 🙌

ref: IDEA-I-298

• sxxxnx
    sxxxnx
    Community Member

+1 on quick access password generation. Furthermore please note that, 1password browser generated passwords are not synced back to the account; i.e. they are not found in the Passwords or any other category neither in the app nor in 1password web access.

• bndt206
    bndt206
    Community Member

Please put the password generator back where it belongs (right click menu on the taskbar). Passwords (and the generator) are used lot of other places than in the webbrowser!

• @sxxxnx and @bndt206

I've added both of your votes to the feature request, thank you! 😊

• scaramanga
    scaramanga
    Community Member

+1 for this please! Thank you :)

• brsu
    brsu
    Community Member

+1

• Hi @brsu / @scaramanga:

I've added you both as well, thanks! 🙂

• lesta67
    lesta67
    Community Member

+1

• B0rg
    B0rg
    Community Member

+1

• danaleighton
    danaleighton
    Community Member

+1 - Really? Is this how 1Password does user experience research to guide design and development? There are much better ways. https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/topics/ux-research

• @lesta67, @B0rg, and @danaleighton

Thank you for your feedback! I've added all of your votes and comments to the feature request so that our product team is aware. 😊

• dbaresrc
    dbaresrc
    Community Member

+1 as well for this

• IdeaQueen
    IdeaQueen
    Community Member

I just click on the little side menu and get to the whole 1PW list at the right spot. But it is clunky and doesn't autofill the same way

• PeterG_1P
    edited July 2022

@dbaresrc - thank you for the vote! It has now been filed. 👍

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

I haven't posted my vote for this one yet, so pls att my +1.

Additinally, I often use password generation (in 1P7) to create passwords that I don't save for myself but instead for accounts or other things for others, and thus I would like the feature to return without the requirement that every password be saved.

• @esquared

I've added your vote to the feature request. 🙂

Additinally, I often use password generation (in 1P7) to create passwords that I don't save for myself but instead for accounts or other things for others, and thus I would like the feature to return without the requirement that every password be saved.

Even if you're generating a password for someone else I would still recommend saving that password so that you can then share it securely with the other person: Securely share 1Password items with anyone

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

I appreciate that feature, and I do use it, but in our workflow, we need to generate several passwords and have a separate methodology for sharing the initial account details that we send. Therefore, I need some way to generate passwords. If 1P8 doesn't have the ability to do this without saving the password, I'll have to use some other means, otherwise my vaults will be inundated with passwords with no idea to what they might refer.

Ideally, and perhaps it exists, but using the API might be a way to do this, but then again, I could just use diceware or similar.

• @esquared

Thank you for sharing your use case, I've passed along your comment to our product team so that they're aware of how a standalone password generator feature would be useful for you. 🙂

• bndt206
    bndt206
    Community Member

Out of curiousity, why was the password generator removed from 1Password 8?
    I also use it for generating passwords for use outside 1password eg. resetting AD users passwords or creating service account passwords.

• daunnc
    daunnc
    Community Member

Yes, a very convenient password generation and storage was one of the 1Password extremely convenient features. I even created account to add the +1 comment (:

• Thanks @daunnc

Welcome to the community. Your feedback has been recorded.

• mriner
    mriner
    Community Member

Clicking on the 1password extension button in Safari does NOT offer a password generator!!!!

• roeckler
    roeckler
    Community Member

Having the same problem not seeing the option for the password generator in the safari extension bar (pic) - I thought this might be a safari tech preview issue but getting same prob in Safari. I'm on latest Ventura beta.

I miss the ability to control the length of the password as 1P is generating passwords too long for most of my uses and can't seem to figure out how to alter the generation characteristics without the plugin on 1P8 ?

Otherwise, have loved the product for many years... even though I just got around to signing up for the forum. Thanks for any help or advice for this issue,
    Rich

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member

+1 here, wouldn't move to 8 w/o it

• nicopra
    nicopra
    Community Member

+1 here. Please add my vote

• Hi @roeckler / @mriner:

The password generator in 1Password for Safari can be found under the ≡ menu. From there, you can access the password generator, as well as configure the default options. By default, 1Password in the browser will use a Smart Password, which we've found will work in most places, you can switch it to a Random Password which offers the ability to change the length.

@nicopra / @xmarcelo:

I've added you both to the discussion Tommy mentioned above. Thanks!

Jack

• mriner
    mriner
    Community Member

As I mentioned, the password generator only shows up in the extension button when you are on a web log in page.

This discussion has been closed.