Difference between Quick Access & ⌘-/

Options
kvnd
kvnd
Community Member
edited May 2022 in Mac

Upgraded to 1Password 8 and a little confused, especially when it comes to filling logins for browsers (Safari) via keyboard shortcuts.

⌘-/ seems to trigger the Quick Access UI but with the default behavior for hitting Enter being 'Autofill', regardless of the website.
Shift-⌘-Space will trigger Quick Access w/ the default behavior being "Open & Fill"

I haven't found a keyboard shortcut to open the Safari browser extension UI (⌘-/ did the trick for previous 1Password versions)

Is this all working as intended, am I missing something obvious?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022
    Options

@kvnd

What sort of questions did you have? I also tweaked your title so it will be more visible to team members.

• kvnd
    kvnd
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, just updated the ticket. Fiddling with ⌘-/ made me accidentally submit the question early... attempting to overcome a lot of muscle memory...

• kvnd
    kvnd
    Community Member
    Options

Looks like we both edited the question at the same time, overwriting my own edits... I'll retype them up...

• ag_tommy
    Options

Thanks @kvnd Sorry about that. You're on a roll. Keep that momentum going.

• kvnd
    kvnd
    Community Member
    Options

Alright, finally got my question in there... reposting here for convenience:

Upgraded to 1Password 8 and a little confused, especially when it comes to filling logins for browsers (Safari) via keyboard shortcuts.

⌘-/ seems to trigger the Quick Access UI but with the default behavior for hitting Enter being 'Autofill', regardless of the website.
    Shift-⌘-Space will trigger Quick Access w/ the default behavior being "Open & Fill"

I haven't found a keyboard shortcut to open the Safari browser extension UI (⌘-/ did the trick for previous 1Password versions)

Is this all working as intended, am I missing something obvious?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @kvnd

Shift+⌘+X should do the trick. This isn't exposed in the UI, so it isn't super discoverable right now. There are a number of things about keyboard shortcuts with Safari specifically that we'd like to improve. Hopefully this can be one of them. 😃

Ben

• kvnd
    kvnd
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks

FWIW, I downgraded back to 7 and will just stick with that for awhile - I really enjoyed the simplicity of a single (two-key) shortcut that worked everywhere for everything, instead of having to understand my context to determine which chord to hit.

• tortugonal
    tortugonal
    Community Member
    Options

Shouldn't this be user-definable in the 1Password settings? And also shouldn't any keyboard shortcuts for Safari show up in the keyboard shortcuts dialog within 1Password (command-/ from within 1Password)?

It's not not super discoverable; as far as I can make out it's not discoverable at all.

I realize you're multiplatform, are juggling multiple balls, that it's impossible to please everyone, and that software is hard. But isn't this the kind of rough edges that should be worked out in beta, and haven't you pushed the Mac version out to the end of the line (after Windows and Linux and iOS) in order to make sure it was polished? I know criticism easy to dish out and everyone is a back seat driver; I do! At the same time, I wish this Mac version had incubated a bit longer than it did. It still feels like a beta. A good beta, but a beta.

Let's see some rapid-fire releases that address some of the items coming up now.

Thanks!

I couldn't imagine using my Apple kit without 1P. We're just spoiled and have a very high bar! And now that you're essentially all-subscription, I consider that we're paying for rapid, responsive development. I've been a user since way before subscriptions and have evangelized the product far and wide.

• hezor
    hezor
    Community Member
    Options

"FWIW, I downgraded back to 7 and will just stick with that for awhile - I really enjoyed the simplicity of a single (two-key) shortcut that worked everywhere for everything, instead of having to understand my context to determine which chord to hit."

One of the reasons why I reverted back to 7 too. The first time ever in 10 years I've had to downgrade a 1Password version. Makes me very unhappy.

• Hi folks,

Thanks for your feedback on this. We're continuing to iterate and improve now that we've got 1Password 8 on all three desktop platforms. Keep an eye out for updates!

Jack

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

Shift+⌘+X should do the trick. This isn't exposed in the UI, so it isn't super discoverable right now.

Is there a reason it is not in the 1Password Keyboard Shortcuts list?

• Hey @DavidB:

Great question. That shortcut is controlled by 1Password for Safari (or 1Password in your browser in general), and as such will vary slightly depending on which browser you're using.

Jack

• courtneyanne
    courtneyanne
    Community Member
    Options

I posted this same comment in another thread since it also seemed relevant there, but...

I would add that for years and years, the shortcuts to find & fill items from the browser have been the exact same as the desktop app. It's taking a lot of mental energy to remember to do the "⌘+Shift+X" when I'm in the browser vs. the normal "⌘+Shift+\" that now only pulls up Quick Access. Can we not still use ⌘+Shift+\ and it will open Quick Access (if you are NOT in the browser) or the browser extension (if you are in the browser)?

• oscarisbrown
    oscarisbrown
    Community Member
    Options

yes, this, among other reasons, is why i'll be sticking with 7 for quite a while here as well.

• ramon
    ramon
    Community Member
    Options

This is true for Chrome browsers too, I am used to hitting ⌘-\ to fill in forms but now it brings up the Quick Access box, which is useless for what I'm trying to do, just fill the user/pass.

This is a HUGE regression in functionality. Please remap ⌘-\ to just fill the form on the page, like we've done for years.

The other problem I see is the focus has to be in one of the field boxes to actually fill in the form, I have to tab into it or click in the box using the trackpad when my hands are on the keyboard. No this is not a minor inconvenience, its' a huge flow disruption. Behavior was not like this in all previous versions.

Please give us back ⌘-\

Thanks in advance.

• whathack
    whathack
    Community Member
    Options

Totally agree. Please restore the ⌘-\ functionality as it was in previous versions. Why should we have to learn a new keyboard shortcut?

• Hi @whathack / @ramon / @oscarisbrown / @courtneyanne:

We've made some improvements in our beta and nightly releases of 1Password 8 for Mac, resolving an issue where Universal Autofill may not recognize the page you're on in Chromium browsers immediately. With the fix in place, if you have a single Login item for the site you're on, 1Password will trigger a fill, and if you have multiple Login items, Quick Access will open showing just the relevant Login items.

If you'd like to give the beta release a try, you can follow the steps here: Use 1Password beta releases

Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.