1Password8 and 1Password for Safari - are both necessary?

Options
Andrew88759
Andrew88759
Community Member

Hi All

Is the 1Password for Safari app/extension from the Mac App Store still necessary now that 1Password8 has been released?

I ask because there was never an associated app with 1Password7: this 'extra' app arrived on the scene when 1Password8 beta did so I initially thought it was something to just integrate it whilst 1Password was released officially.

I am a little confused over the need for this.

When you access the preferences in the 1Password8 app and choose Get 1Password for your Browser it takes you to the Mac App Store to download an additional app (1Password for Safari) rather than an extension for Safari.

Why the difference?

It would be useful to also know the new 'expected' workflow.

What is the purpose of Quick Access if 1Password is supposed to 'Fill Anywhere'

Additionally, what is the correct way of opening Quick Access? Cmd-\ or Shift-Cmd-Space?

There seems to be some duplication of features / keystrokes.

Or am I just missing the obvious?

I have used the 1Password8 beta for sometime and not arrived at any of the questions for the above whilst using it. Sometimes the keyboard shortcuts have not worked and I have had to re-open 1Password as it seemed not to be running.

I have been opening Quick Access from the Menu Bar and typing in to search for the login I need and then pressing the right arrow for more options and copying the username and then moving field and then repeating to copy the password.

Surely, it must be simpler than this?

Thanks in advance. I have used 1Password since version one on all devices but this is a big change and want to embrace it...I would just like to understand how to get the most from the new version.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1

Comments

• Hey @Andrew88759:

Great questions.

1Password for Safari works in tandem with 1Password 8 for Mac. We're using a newer extension API, Safari Web Extensions, which lets us bring our first-class browser experience to Safari the same way we bring it to other browsers.

What is the purpose of Quick Access if 1Password is supposed to 'Fill Anywhere'

You can use Quick Access to find items quickly, as well as trigger a fill into a website, or an app on your desktop.

Additionally, what is the correct way of opening Quick Access? Cmd-\ or Shift-Cmd-Space?

⌘+\ and ⌘+Shift+Space are similar, but do slightly different things. ⌘+\ is your AutoFill shortcut, where if there's only one matching Login item for the app or website you have focused, 1Password will fill it automatically. Quick Access will show suggested items based on the focused app or website, but won't fill automatically, so you can search for any item you'd like to find.

Once you've enabled 1Password in your browser, you shouldn't need to manually copy and paste your items to fill. Let me know if that helps, or if you're still running into trouble!

Jack

• Andrew88759
    Andrew88759
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Jack

Thanks for the super response: this does give clarity.

I probably picked up some bad habits at the start with the quick access which I like very much but probably was not using correctly!

I will practice more and try to change muscle memory.

I like the TestFlight versions of the latest 1Password for iOS and iPadOS I like their clean interfaces and the numerous ways of grouping tagging etc.

May I also ask about the iOS iPadOS apps now? I take it I can 😜

Is using the “inline” 1Password icon in the fields the same as using the “suggestions” that appear above the keyboard when filling login forms?

Is there a benefit using one over the other? Should I disable one of the options and use just one?

Thanks in advance!

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

⌘+\ and ⌘+Shift+Space are similar, but do slightly different things.

Is this explained anywhere else but here, which takes a lot of digging for users to find?

• Hi folks,

Thanks for your great questions!

@Andrew88759:

The inline suggestions in Safari are provided by 1Password for Safari, and as such only work in Safari. Password AutoFill is what 1Password uses to fill in other apps, so keeping both is going to be your best bet.

@DavidB:

I'll share your thoughts with our documentation team as we continue to iterate on 1Password 8.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.