Can’t sort fields anymore

mischnu
mischnu
Community Member

While in 1Password 7 we talked about the possibility to sort the sections of an item (see this discussion) I realized that in 1Password 8 you even removed the option of changing the order of the single fields within a section! 😱

Please tell me that this is only a bug and will be fixed in one of the upcoming releases. For me it’s really important to be able to at least move fields within a section. Luckily, in the current iOS app it’s still possible. But please bring it back to the Mac desktop application as well.

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• electricarts
    electricarts
    Community Member

I have the same problem. I have tried desperately to sort or move custom fields in the order. Will this functionality come back?

• Hi @mischnu and @electricarts, thanks for this question. I'm happy to help!

Our founder @dteare was actually just discussing this re-ordering fields question over in the Desktop Betas forum. Here's the quote in its entirety:

the latest release does not have support for reordering fields. This is something we're actively exploring and I expect will be added in the not-to-distant future. While a lot of work remains, I wanted to share that the design team has designed how this feature will look and feel and the dev team has gotten things far enough along that I was able to see a video of it in action. Again, I need to stress a lot of work remains and this will not be included in the immediate future, but I wanted to share that it has bubbled up on our priority list.

As for "why", reordering of fields was something we deliberately left out of 1Password 8 during the design process as we were hoping to simplify things. I was hopeful that we could win with a "less is more" approach but I found myself missing this feature as much as you are. I'm happy that we tried and I'm happy that we changed our minds. Live and learn. 🙏

I hope this provides some insight on where we're coming from.

We also really appreciate you letting us know that this is a feature you found useful. We take the feedback seriously, and I have added votes for a re-order fields feature on (both) your behalf.

ref: IDEA-I-372

We'll keep the updates coming and hope that improvements to come will delight you. 😃

• Thanks, @love2kruz. We're certainly taking the feedback into account!

We do want to make sure that you have a streamlined experience, but we're also committed to doing that the right way. We'll keep iterating and working to outperform your expectations. 👍

• Thomas
    Thomas
    Community Member

Sadly, I find this a very, very bad design decision - ordering fields is absolutely crucial for me with longer items (and what I think is a very basic feature). Please add me definitely +1 to the voters list of this feature.

• Hi folks, just want to let you know that I have added votes on your behalf for the ability to change the order of fields in an item. 👍 And as I mentioned previously, this is already something we're working on including in a future update to the app. Thanks for letting us know why this change is important to you.

• yangxun1501
    yangxun1501
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

can't find how to sort or rearrange items

1Password Version: 1p8
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:can't find how to sort or rearrange items

• yangxun1501
    yangxun1501
    Community Member

1password 8

• B0rg
    B0rg
    Community Member

Its not possible on v8 (yet).

• RomiC
    RomiC
    Community Member

@PeterG_1P, pls add my voice also. Once switched to 1P8 I start struggling from managing notes with up to 20 fields.

• B0rg
    B0rg
    Community Member

+1 from me also..

• You got it!

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022

Thanks @B0rg

@yangxun1501

The team is looking into this. I've also completed some housekeeping and merged topics.

• TomStretches
    TomStretches
    Community Member

Adding my vote too. Thanks for already being on this. I use this feature a lot.

• Thanks @TomStretches ! I've added a vote on your behalf. 😊

• Homer
    Homer
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

Long time 1Password user here and I really find this whole "I've added your vote" thing pretty sad. I fully understand that the 1Password folks here are trying their best to put a positive spin on issues with a product that was released well before it was time. There are dozens of password managers out there, but I always found 1Password to be the best, and v7 was (IMHO) the gold standard.

Why we (the clients) need to "vote" on adding back features that existed in the product's prior version will remain a mystery to me. The developers should have been directed "Rewrite the app in any code you'd like, but when your done, it needs to function, feel, flow and have all the features currently in version 7. Let me know when you're done".

• brendanc
    brendanc
    Community Member

+1 as well. I was about to start a new topic but I'm glad I found this. Sorting is sorely missed.

• HWP
    HWP
    Community Member

+1 from me, and I also miss the possibility to change the type of field afterwards.

• Thanks folks I've got your comments noted. I appreciate you taking the time to let us know this matters to you.

• benedickmiller
    benedickmiller
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

Finally got around to looking up how to manually sort my fields in 1Password8 like I was able to do up to 1Password7 for as far back as I can remember. PLEASE put back this feature I used almost every day! Please!

• @benedickmiller

Thank you for your feedback, I've passed it along to the team. 🙂

• momobile
    momobile
    Community Member

Adding my vote too!
    I loved this feature every time (!) when I fill in a new password.
    I need this option really a lot!

• @momobile

Thank you for the feedback! Can you clarify a little further about how you were using this feature when filling a new password? I'd love to pass along your use case to the team. 🙂

-Dave

• momobile
    momobile
    Community Member

Hi Dave, when creating new objects, I use the "Add more fields" function very often. Many times, however, I notice during the filling that a different order of the new fields would be much more useful and would also be much more coherent in terms of content.
    Unfortunately, it is then too late because in this 1PWVersion I can no longer rearrange the individual fields. I have to delete all fields before to insert the desired new one, which is mega inconvenient.
    Or I have to live with the fact that the map is extremely disorganized if I leave it that way. Daily I am annoyed about it, because it was previously so wonderfully helpful the own structuring.

This discussion has been closed.