How to export selected entries in 1Password 8?

vjcinajr
vjcinajr
Community Member

In 1Password 7 was able to export selected entries - for example: selected (including all) entries from a single vault .

1Password 8 export exports all entries from all vaults in the account even if a single vault or specific entries is selected.

Am I missing something?

It would be great is 1Password 8 would bring back the Export flexibility that existed in 1Password 7.

I know I can create a Collection with a sub-set of vaults (even just a single vault) and export will export all entries only from the the vault(s) in the collection (not all vaults in the account).

Did I miss something in the new UI?

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1

Comments

• Hello @vjcinajr, greetings. 👋 You're correct - the current export feature in 1Password 8 allows you to export by account, but not (yet) selected entries. However, we do have a standing feature request for this with our developers, and I have just added a vote on your behalf with a link to this discussion.

Thanks for letting us know that this would be valuable for you, and do let me know if there's anything further we can help with. 😃

ref: IDEA-I-300

• chenganir
    chenganir
    Community Member

Hello ! glad I found this post, i've been looking for the 1Password 7.xx export features, and can't find what i'm used to !
    1. Ability to export a vault, not account
    2. Ability to export to iCloud or VSC format and include everything, not just username and password

This new 1Password 8 looks like a huge regression, how can we push of the introduction of the previous version export option in the new version as well ?

Thanks.

• Hi @chenganir,

Great question!

1Password 7 supported standalone vaults, which is linked to the reason for the option to export at the vault level. With standalone vaults, it was possible to have one vault syncing through iCloud while a second vault would be syncing through Dropbox. In this case, those two vaults are completely unrelated, and there was no greater hierarchical structure. If you wanted to export all of your data, you'd have to do so one vault at a time. Exporting by vault was not really a defined option in 1Password 7. What did exist was the ability to export at the item level. You could choose to export Selected Items or All Items. Consequently, if you chose to export All items, then all of the items in the selected vault would be exported. With 1Password 8, the highest hierarchical structure is your account, so we've opted to offer export from that level. This is because generally when folks are exporting, they are looking to export all of their data, which could include multiple vaults in their account. I am sorry if this change has disrupted your personal workflow with 1Password.

As Peter mentioned, we do have a standing feature request to add the ability to export selected items (which could encompass an entire vault) in 1Password 8, so I have added your vote there. Can I ask about your specific use case of why you would prefer to export a single vault versus your account?

Regarding the different export formats, in 1Password 7, the iCloud keychain option was a particular format of a .csv file. In 1Password 8, the iCloud keychain format is the default .csv option. That is to say, the iCloud option is included in 1Password 8 already. Regarding the ability to export all of your data associated with an item, as 1Password items become complex regarding what types of data they can store, we've started to grow past what the .csv file type can do. We have spoken about this before. Therefore, we've opted to develop a new export format, known as the 1Password Unencrypted Export format. This format does include all of the data in a given item.

Again, I'd love to hear about your use case for exporting in the .csv format. I'd be interested to know if there is a particular use case we've missed out on here with regard to moving your data to another password manager.

Alex

ref: IDEA-I-300

• chenganir
    chenganir
    Community Member

HI Alex.

Thank you so much for the detailed response !

My main use case for exporting my data would be :
    1. Backup my 1password info in a human readable format that allows me to browse the data if 1password is hacked/compromised and my data is gone or modified.
    2. CSV format allows me to have some history of passwords per item.
    3. All fields means that I can later choose to move away from 1password (for example, price becomes an issue, security, software quality). My data is currently owned by 1Password and in the latest format I can't really do anything with my own passwords or move to another password manager.
    4. the "cloud" is eventually a computer on someone else's desk :) I would like to have the option to safely and reliably have my own precious data backed up to my own storage, just in case.

Thanks again !

Chen Ganir

• Hi @chenganir,

I am glad I could help clear things up, and I'd be happy to address your questions/comments.

1. Backup my 1password info in a human readable format that allows me to browse the data if 1password is hacked/compromised and my data is gone or modified.

1Password 8 for Mac already backs up your data locally on your device. This is what allows you to access your data in the app without a connection to the internet. If you are backing up your entire Mac (as is good practice) using a service like Time Machine, then you'll be able to access your data in the 1Password app on any Mac that you restore from Time Machine on.

With regards to your data being "hacked," all of your data is encrypted on your device using your account password and Secret Key before it is ever uploaded to our servers. We are never in possession of either your account password or Secret Key either, so even if someone managed to intercept the data in transit or somehow access our servers and download it directly, they would have no way to decrypt and view the contents.

1. CSV format allows me to have some history of passwords per item.

This functionality already exists for 1Password accounts. Check out our support article for the Item History feature here:

1. All fields means that I can later choose to move away from 1password (for example, price becomes an issue, security, software quality). My data is currently owned by 1Password and in the latest format I can't really do anything with my own passwords or move to another password manager.

We believe that you are the sole owner of your data. As I mentioned above, we cannot access your data in any way, so there is nothing that we can do with it. Further, being able to take your data to another password manager is one of the main drivers behind the 1PUX format. Since 1PUX can capture all of your data (whereas a .csv file can't), it's in our competitors' best interest to be able to import the 1PUX format. Bitwarden already supports importing it.

1. the "cloud" is eventually a computer on someone else's desk :) I would like to have the option to safely and reliably have my own precious data backed up to my own storage, just in case.

I have touched on this already, but 1Password 8 does backup your data locally already. If you already backing up your Mac, then you're covered.

I hope that helps, @chenganir.

Alex

• kovpack
    kovpack
    Community Member

Is there any news about this feature appearing in 1password 8? Meaning export selected items or by vault.

I'm also pretty surprised this functionality is not available in 1password 8 right away. This made my life way way way worse than it was before (at least for a day).

Currently, I'm trying to extract a few dozens of vaults with a few hundred items in total to a separate account, however, the account I'm trying to "split" has almost 200 vaults & 1200 items :) You get the problem, right? :)

I hoped this was some UI issue and tried to export & import data two times, having selected the proper items in a vault I needed. The exported file size was pretty big - 250MB (as we stored some important files in 1password, too). During the first attempt of importing it to a different account, it crashed with a message that it failed to create 1200 items (panic, panic, why failed, why 1200 items...). Failed to create 1200 items, but successfully created 200 empty vaults, having appended "Exported" text to the name of each vault :) Not the thing I wanted, for sure (as well as renaming). Is there an option to delete multiple vaults from the web UI? :) No. I'm lucky I'm an engineer and can use CLI for that (though, I'm afraid your insanely low request limits may lead to my account blocking for some time, which is not cool, too, by the way). Unfortunately, the second import resulted in the same issue. Again 200 empty vaults :) And here I am in this thread.

Not cool, in general, as looks like the only way to do what I need in my case (without wasting days and moving 500 items manually) is to downgrade the client to 1password 7 and try once more. This is a really bad promotion of 1password 8 :)

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

I never thought about the inability to selectively export items as problematic until today. One of my vaults is strictly for a nonprofit I manage on Google Workspace and they want to make these logins accessible by other individuals using the Chrome password manager (obviously, this wouldn't be my first choice, but I have to comply with the organization).

To circumvent the inability of 1Password to export selected items, I exported everything in my account (in CSV format), then stripped out everything except the selected items pertaining to this organization. This left me a clean CSV copy of the selected items I need to disseminate to the management of this organization. This is a reasonably easy fix until 1Password 8 has the ability to selectively export.

• swissfr0g
    swissfr0g
    Community Member

Hi
    I am also stuck to transfer a large selection of login details to some other team members who do not use 1password

Another feature from 1P v7 that has been dropped when bringing in a new allegedly shiny v8 ......

Please address asap

• MathiasL
    MathiasL
    Community Member

Same issue here. It makes our offboarding process much worse.
    Previously, when a member was leaving the company, they would be able to export their personal vault. Now it will export every vault, even the shared vaults.
    So they have to manually filter out all the useless and obsolete entries they don't need anymore after they import it back.

• mlaferle
    mlaferle
    Community Member

Since I can't use Last Pass (work) and 1password (personal) simultaneously in my browsers... I live in 1Password (for work too). Periodically I export my "work" vault, and import it into Last Pass so my company has a good snapshot of all my passwords. Now in 1PW8, I can't distinguish anything in an export. I'm now trying a tagging strategy so I can at least filter the CSV by tags so I only put work stuff back into Last Pass. .... idea - You can an import button online for a vault... why not an export button? I'd just login to the website, pick my vault, and click "export". Might be easier/faster than doing it in all of your client apps.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@mlaferle

You can use the onepux converter in the converter suite for what you are doing.

I'll mention the standard caveat - It is generally not a good idea to leave your data in an unecrypted state. The more often you do this, or the longer the data exists unencrypted, the higher the risk and exposure.

• samuelbailey
    samuelbailey
    Community Member

can we have an update on this? maybe a link to the issue or epic where this is being handled? Having to download 1pass 7 to do this is pretty pathetic... still love 1pass overall.

• jewettg
    jewettg
    Community Member

+1 I too would like to get an update on this! I also would add that if you kept passwords in your 1Password as a member of a company or organization (like many mentioned above), and you would like to pass those along or just "archive" them (not within 1Password), then the ability to export at a vault or selected items is a much needed feature that must be restored!

• jewettg
    jewettg
    Community Member

OK, playing around in the interface, here is a work-around that I just used to get "selected" passwords out of my vault and store them elsewhere. YES, you do have to export the entirety of your 1Password account of usernames/passwords, but you will not be keeping all of them, and I do encourage your to delete the remainder of the unencrypted data as @mlaferle mentioned.. unencrypted data-at-rest increases the risk exposure.

BEFORE EXPORTING:
    1. Create/rename a tag that can be used to "mark" the entries you want to "selectively export" (I say this, b/c you are exporting everything, but the tagging will let you locate the specific items quickly, and you can purged the unwanted items just as quickly).
    2. Search or select the items you want to "export", and use the feature of dragging those entries on top of the tag shown in the left-side-panel. This will apply that tag to all those items.
    3. EXPORT all items in CSV format. (enter your password, etc..)
    4. Open the file, and there will be a column called "tags". Find/Sort those column to find those entries with the specific tag (using Excel, or text editor or choice).
    5. Extract those items to wherever you want. I highly encourage you to encrypt that content to keep it safe (so many options available for a variety of OSs).
    6. DELETE the remaining data (reduce exposure).

There ya go! NOW.. this NOT a substitute 1Password/Agile team! Please re-enable the export of vault or selected items features.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

If it would be helpful to anyone if the onepux converter supported selecting items by Tag name / pattern, I can add that feature. It already supports selecting named vaults.

• semaja2
    semaja2
    Community Member

Due to other reasons, had to upgrade to 1Password 8 and well it sure is a downgrade when it comes to the basics

Previous versions let me disable vaults from suggestion/search, but that seems to be gone, so thought I would just export those vaults since they are for historic reasons...

Well no export? Surprised 1P8 can even store passwords at this point

• @semaja2

If you'd like to limit your view to only certain accounts/vaults, you can use a Collection to do that: Use collections to create custom groups of vaults.

You can change what vaults are offered to you for autofill purposes in your browser by right-clicking the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar, then clicking Settings. In the Accounts and Vaults section at the bottom, uncheck any accounts or vaults you would like to turn off: Get started with 1Password in your browser — Manage your settings.

1Password 8 can still export in 1PUX or CSV format: How to export data from 1Password.

If you have any questions about 1Password 8, please let me know and I'll be happy to help out. :)

— Grey

• semaja2
    semaja2
    Community Member

@GreyM1P as indicated in this thread, I want to export specific items not the whole account

The new interface is just way more clunky to navigate, the purpose of vaults/collections is eroded by the lack of filtering for them

Eg. 1P7 let me specify the vault to view, and then the search actually filtered the view (without requiring additional clicks)

• @semaja2

Thank you for the reply. At the moment, 1Password 8 allows you to export the entire account but not selected items/vaults. I've passed along your feedback that you'd like to see selective export return to 1Password 8 to our product team. 🙂

Eg. 1P7 let me specify the vault to view, and then the search actually filtered the view (without requiring additional clicks)

Can you tell me a little more about this? If you create a collection containing only some vaults then your searches should include include items from the vaults included in the currently selected collection. Are you seeing different behaviour on your end?

-Dave

ref: IDEA-I-777

• linux4life
    linux4life
    Community Member

Need ability to export specific vaults. Thank you.

• @linux4life

Thank you for the feedback. I've let the product team know that this is functionality that you'd like to see in 1Password 8. 🙂

-Dave

• alioguzhan
    alioguzhan
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

+1 for this. I prefer an export option at the vault level and for selected, individual items. But exporting a single vault would be more than enough for now. Thanks!

Edit: I didn't realize this was under the Mac category. I am asking this feature for Linux or Web application :)

• Appreciate the clarification, @alioguzhan!

We do our best to have a consistent experience across all platforms, I've added your voice to our internal tracker, including the note about individual items. Thanks for letting us know this is important to you. 🙂

ref: IDEA-I-777

• LeeButler
    LeeButler
    Community Member

+1 for full export options from 1Password 7 in 1Password 8!

• We have added your vote, @LeeButler. Thank you for letting us know you'd find this useful!

• eenturk
    eenturk
    Community Member

Another vote here!

• @eenturk

Thank you for the feedback. I've passed it along to the team. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-31195917

• adrianw
    adrianw
    Community Member

I too manage several sites for non-profits.
    So I'm creating a separate vault in 1Password for each organisation.

The plan was to export the vaults separately so that each non-profit had a backup for its records in case an accident happens to me.
    This seems such an obvious use case that I hadn't thought to check that it was possible.

If it were possible to export records with a specific tag, that would be an acceptable alternative.
    In fact, since the vault name is not included in the exported CSV, my bypass will be to do a complete export. Then use tags to identify the records applying to each non-profit and delete the unwanted records in Excel. Undesirable because I'd prefer to minimise the number of records that have to be exported in clear.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@adrianw

See my comment on Oct 2022 above.

I'll add to that, you can extract vaults by name (patterns), so you don't have to bother with Tags. The vault names are included in the output CSV file(s).

• AIT404
    AIT404
    Community Member

Upvote for me on this feature!
    Very arduous when clients request exports of their vault.