1Password for Safari has disappeared

Safari > Preferences > Extensions no longer shows 1P. Launching 1P for Safari and clicking "Open Safari Preferences" has no effect - nothing happens at all. Rebooting machine doesn't help.

Safari Version 15.5 (17613.2.7.1.8)

1Password Version: 80800095
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: macOS 12.4 (21F79)

Comments

• Hi @HFTobeason, thank you for informing us of this issue. I'm sorry to learn of the problem!

Here's what I'd suggest to fix it:

If the 1Password app itself is showing in Applications, let's try refreshing Safari's extension database. 👇

1. First, close all open web browsers.
    2. Open the Terminal app on your Mac. Here's how.
    3. Paste the following into Terminal and then press Return to run the command:
      /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -f -R /Applications/Safari.app
    4. Open Safari and try to enable 1Password for Safari again.

Does that resolve the issue for you? I'll look forward to learning how this goes!

• HFTobeason
    HFTobeason
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

That did it! Thank you! I have no idea what caused the issue, but after following the steps you outlined, I saw this: I clicked "Turn On", and BAM! 1P is back.

[EDIT] I also noted that the 1P extension icon showed a yellow caution mark...when I clicked it I got this (this is for the WIPR extension, but it was the same for the 1P extension):
    I choose "Always Allow".

• Hi @HFTobeason, thank you for the update - and great to hear that this is now resolved for you!

The message you received about the 1Password extension is a routine one. This is what 1Password needs to detect the appropriate fields and fill your logins, and it's OK to approve.

If there's anything else we can do for you, please let us know. We'll be happy to help. 🥳

• HFTobeason
    HFTobeason
    Community Member

I would appreciate you taking a look at https://1password.community/discussion/129822/scan-qr-code-for-otp-fails - I haven't gotten a response there as yet, and it's still a problem...

• Duhkha
    Duhkha
    Community Member

Similar experience for me. I've done all the troubleshooting. macOS 12.5; 1P 8.8.0; 1P Ext (via App Store) 2.3.7. Why is there no follow-up on this issue from the 1P team? If not concerning, this issue creates endless frustration for users. Also, as of today, 2022-07-08, 1P icon no longer appears in login fields. Please address.

• Duhkha
    Duhkha
    Community Member

I have same issue. I've done all troubleshooting. macOS 12.4; 1P 8.8.0; 1P ext. 2.3.7. Also, as of today, 1P no longer appears in login fields. If not concerning, this issue creates endless frustration for users. Why hasn't this been addressed? Thanks.

• Hi @Duhkha:

We've added a troubleshooting option in the 1Password app. If you quit Safari, then open 1Password, then from the menu bar choose Help > Troubleshooting > Fix Missing Safari Extension, does that improve your state of play? Let me know!

Jack

• Duhkha
    Duhkha
    Community Member

It does. Thank you. Sorry about double post. Not sure why that happened. Ironically, even though extension icon appeared in login fields, 1P didn't work to login to this forum. I'll review.

• All good @Duhkha Please let us know how you get along.

I'd also check and make sure the correct URL is saved for your login as a starting point.

This discussion has been closed.