Pin to Screen missing

Options
mrp777
mrp777
Community Member

After upgrading to 1P-8, the Pin To Screen feature is missing from the Safari browser extension. Am I missing something?

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: 12.3.1

Β«1

Comments

• Hello @mrp777, the option to pin to screen isn't a part of the current browser extension. However, I see that we do have a feature request for this filed with our developers - and I'll be happy to submit a vote on your behalf for that feature.

In the meantime, is there something specific you're trying to do that's proving troublesome due to a lack of that Pin to Screen feature? Depending on your goal, we may be able to suggest an alternate approach.

Thanks, and I'll look forward to learning more about this!

ref: IDEA-I-651

• mrp777
    mrp777
    Community Member
    Options

I use that feature all the time. Sometimes, a website will not allow direct fill from 1P. Therefore, I need to pin it on the screen, then copy and paste username & password. This happens more times than you think.

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022
    Options

@mrp777

By chance have you tried Universal Access? It has now become my go to when I experience a problematic site.

Use Universal Autofill in apps and browsers on your Mac

• mrp777
    mrp777
    Community Member
    Options

I have not used that feature. Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.

• We'll look forward to hearing about your experience, @mrp777!

• CGDaveMac
    CGDaveMac
    Community Member
    Options

Pin to screen was one of the first things I noticed missing. There is an open in new window, but it just opens 1Password. Then if you click the hamburger button and select open in new window again, it has the same functionality as pin to screen. Very clunky and I would also request an option to pin directly.

• mrp777
    mrp777
    Community Member
    Options

@CGDaveMac I completely agree. The work-around is very clunky. Also, the old Pin To Screen would stay above all other windows... Open In New Window will not do that. PTS was so helpful, it seems as if its omission is by mistake.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@CGDaveMac and @mrp777

Thank you for the feedback. You can also open an item in a new window by following these steps:

1. Press Shift-Command-Space to open Quick Access.
    2. Search for an item.
    3. Press Command‑O to open the item in a new window.

Let me know if that's a little easier. πŸ™‚

• mrp777
    mrp777
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P I followed the steps and it does open a Pin-To Screen window. So, that is good that it still exists. However, I wouldn't agree that it is easy because it now takes 3 steps to do what used to take just one step. It would be so much easier if the browser button would allow us to directly open the Pin-To Screen, as it was in 1P-7 and early. Thanks for the tip, though, and I look forward to this feature being improved in the future...!

• CGDaveMac
    CGDaveMac
    Community Member
    Options

Yep... I like keyboard shortcuts so that is good to know... I need to get used to the Quick Access. But like @mrp777 stated, I think the default behavior of the Safari Extension for "Open In New Window" should do the same thing.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@mrp777 and @CGDaveMac

Thank you both for the feedback. I've added both of your comments and suggestions to the feature request so that our developers are aware that you'd like to see this feature added in the future. 😊

• CGDaveMac
    CGDaveMac
    Community Member
    Options

Also, I just noticed that there is no edit option in the new Open In Window/Pin on Screen option. That's what I use it for the most, when changing passwords.

• mrp777
    mrp777
    Community Member
    Options

Oh wow... @CGDaveMac I totally missed that... Edit button is crucial. I used it all the time as well.

• tetardbleu
    tetardbleu
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to add my vote for the return of an edit button on the pinned window. I'm also using it a lot !
    Thanks !

• Dave_1P
    Options

@CGDaveMac, @mrp777, and @tetardbleu

Thank you all for the feedback. We have a work item open to look into allowing the editing of items in a new window and I've added your comments to the work item. 😊

ref: dev/core/core#11385

• iCyberPaul
    iCyberPaul
    Community Member
    Options

Can I also request that the pin window is brought back please.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@iCyberPaul

You can open a new window by following these steps:

1. Press Shift-Command-Space to open Quick Access.
    2. Search for an item.
    3. Press Command‑O to open the item in a new window.

That being said, I've added your feedback to the internal tracking item that we have open to look into allowing editing in the new window. Thank you for the suggestion. πŸ™‚

• Hopper
    Hopper
    Community Member
    Options

I have to agree - the pin to screen feature (with edit button) was something I used all the time - so I am looking forward to seeing this come back soon

• Hopefully that will be possible Hopper. I have voiced your wanting to see the feature again. Did you get a chance to try what Dave_1P mentioned?

• NormanNorwich
    NormanNorwich
    Community Member
    Options

+1 to this.

Pin to screen really useful. If I have to open a new window I might as well just open desktop 1Pw and tile the windows! Not good use to screen real estate. Pin to screen was perfect (with one proviso, I wish the 'pin to screen' button had been at the top of the window so less mouse movement to click).

• JimH
    JimH
    Community Member
    Options

Pin to screen was one of the most useful tools and it is huge loss now that it doesn't exist. Please bring it back ASAP

• Hi @NormanNorwich and @JimH,

To clarify, opening an item in a new window won't open the main 1Password app window. In addition to Dave's instructions for using keyboard shortcuts above, if you prefer to navigate with your mouse you can set the menu bar icon to open Quick Access when clicked:

If you have the website or app open, you'll see your login item in the suggestions and won't have to search for it. From here you can click the 3 dots followed by Open Item In New Window. Here's an example of how this would look, note the main 1Password app window doesn't appear at any point and even when re-focusing on the browser, the new window with my credentials remains visible:

Here's the same process using keyboard shortcuts when on an unrelated website:

I personally prefer this since I'll already be on my keyboard in case I need to search anything, but I encourage you to try them both. We had some feedback earlier in this thread about being able to edit from the new window, I'd be happy to file proxy votes on your behalves if that's also something you're interested in, so let me know. πŸ™‚

• NormanNorwich
    NormanNorwich
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the pointer to Quick Access. Looks promising. (Still don't like the mm/dd/yy format though ;) ).

• Hi @NormanNorwich,

Anytime! A great place to get started with Quick Access if you'd like: Get to know Quick Access

I'm a dd/mm/yyyy man myself, I've added you to our internal feature request to give users the option to change this. πŸ‘πŸ»

ref: IDEA-I-1347

• tobyw722
    tobyw722
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Pin to screen. For sites where you have to use 4/5/6 character from the password this is a must ! I'm using Firefox on Mac and miss this greatly :(

• Hi @tobyw722,

Thanks for sharing your feedback, I've added a proxy vote on your behalf to our internal tracker for pinning items from browser extensions. πŸ‘πŸ»

In the meantime, if you use 1Password 8 on your device, I recommend trying Quick Access to view passwords:

1. Open Quick Access
    2. If the item for your current website isn't already showing, search for it
    3. With the correct item highlighted, press ⌘ + O
    4. Hold option to reveal your password in the new window
    5. When you're done, you can close that window with esc

If step 4 isn't working for you, double check that this setting is checked:

Let me know how that goes or if you have any questions. πŸ™‚

• AnitaGraham
    AnitaGraham
    Community Member
    Options

Surely, surely the date option would follow the User/OS location settings.
    Anything that forces a foreign date format is pretty antediluvian (and confusing)

• srohde
    srohde
    Community Member
    Options

Please bring back Pin on Screen. I tried 1Password v8 for a few weeks but reverted back to v7 so I could have Pin on Screen again.

• tobyw722
    tobyw722
    Community Member
    Options

@andrew.l_1P That works, but I think it will be a little quicker having an option to click "pin to screen" from that Quick Access lookup window. I'm actually having to press more keys using shortcuts :(

• @AnitaGraham

Our developers are investigating an issue where dates aren't being localized to system settings in 1Password 8 and hopefully this will be fixed and improved with a future update. I've added your report to the tracking item for the issue.

@srohde and @tobyw722

Thank you for the feedback, both of your comments have been forwarded to our product team so that they're aware that you'd like to see this feature in the future. πŸ™‚

ref: dev/core/core#8747

ref: IDEA-I-1932

This discussion has been closed.