Crash in Chrome: "Click this balloon to reload the extension" [resolved in Chrome extension 3.9.21]

Options

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi everyone,

I just received an update from some of our tech gurus:

We were just recently able to reproduce the issue you're seeing, but it only occurs when all the Chrome windows are closed and Chrome is left launched and the Mac is put to sleep. So, this means that we can't view the log messages that 1Password outputs because after the crash the logs are not accessible and if we open the logs before, the open window prevents the crash from happening.

So far, we have not been able to reproduce this issue in 1Password 4, however. Have you given 1Password 4 a try yet? If you'd rather stick with 1Password 3, you can adjust your behaviour slightly be quitting Chrome when you're finished with it or leaving a browser window open when you sleep your computer.

I hope this helps!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi everyone,

I just received an update from some of our tech gurus:

We were just recently able to reproduce the issue you're seeing, but it only occurs when all the Chrome windows are closed and Chrome is left launched and the Mac is put to sleep. So, this means that we can't view the log messages that 1Password outputs because after the crash the logs are not accessible and if we open the logs before, the open window prevents the crash from happening.

So far, we have not been able to reproduce this issue in 1Password 4, however. Have you given 1Password 4 a try yet? If you'd rather stick with 1Password 3, you can adjust your behaviour slightly be quitting Chrome when you're finished with it or leaving a browser window open when you sleep your computer.

I hope this helps!

• JackChill420
    JackChill420
    Community Member
    Options

Do you use any ad-filter program? If so, it could be the reason.

1. Click Start, select Control Panel.
    2. Click Programs | Uninstall a Program.
    3. Select a program, click Uninstall button.
    4. Follow the wizard.
    5. Reboot.
  • clarkterrill
    clarkterrill
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ Megan. Are you saying that 1password 3 users have two options? Either change the way we use our browsers or pay to upgrade the application b/c your engineers are unable to fix the bug? Doesn't that sound unfair? We're forced to pay full price to upgrade something that worked fine a couple weeks ago? Especially now that apple is pushing their own cloud key chain. I really want to stay with 1password, but this kind of support is not winning anyone over IMHO.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @clarkterrill,

I do apologize for the inconvenience here. Our tech gurus are looking at a way to resolve this problem for version 3 users, but at this point I can't give you many more details than that. Not because we are trying to force anyone to upgrade to 1Password 4, but simply because our development team is small and it is more difficult to track a bug when we are unable to see the error logs from the crash.

The suggestions provided above are not the end of the conversation, but merely a way to hopefully make users lives easier while we do search for a way to squash this bug properly.

We very much appreciate your patience as we look for a solution!

• dsmbgu8
    dsmbgu8
    Community Member
    Options

Greetings,

For what it's worth, I was having a similar issue with 1password 3 + chrome, and the crash seemed to occur whenever my network settings changed. For instance, the extension would typically crash when I would log in to a VPN, or when I connected to a different wifi network after waking my laptop from sleep. Perhaps it's an issue with dropbox synchronization?

Since the crash happened so often it made version 3 largely unusable, I just upgraded to 1password 4. So far, I haven't observed the same issue after switching between two different wifi networks.

Hope this info is helpful.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dsmbgu8,

Thanks for adding your feedback here! I am glad to hear that 1Password 4 has fixed the issue for you. :)

• bdlchicago
    bdlchicago
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Every time my macbook wakes up from sleep, I get the balloon telling me 1Password extension has crashed. I have not updated to Mavericks yet.

• David Yu
    David Yu
    Community Member
    Options

My 1Password is also crashing whenever my computer wakes from sleep. I'm using version 3.8.21. A typical log message is:

11/18/13 9:08:55.953 AM 1PasswordAgent[231]: [HYBI] socketDidDisconnect: Error Domain=GCDAsyncSocketErrorDomain Code=7 "Socket closed by remote peer" UserInfo=0x100302dd0 {NSLocalizedDescription=Socket closed by remote peer}

Looking forward to a fix,
    David

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi David,

Thanks for posting those log messages for us. I hope that one of my suggestions above will help make your life a bit easier while our tech gurus search for a solution here!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bdlchicago,

I've merged your original post in with the ongoing discussion on the issue. Please see my post #46 above for some workaround suggestions. :)

• MaxYahoo420
    MaxYahoo420
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Well, I think some of the recently added extensions are not working properly. Just disable or remove them. To do so, type "about:plugins" in the Address Bar and press ENTER. Disable one by one individual plug-ins. Delete browser cache contents, temporary internet files and other stuff. Corruption in the cache and temp files causes Chrome crash. Here is a good video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv3IaJsxRwQ

• robmack
    robmack
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also having the 1Password 3 Chrome extension crash often on my Macbook Pro running OS X 10.8.5. I'm running Chrome v31.0.1650.57. I found that I'm able to recreate the crash at will without putting the Macbook to sleep and waking it up again. I have an Asus wireless AP with both N and G wifi. This gives me two possible wifi networks from which to choose. If I leave Chrome open with no visible windows, and change the wifi to the other network (i.e N -> G or G -> N), the 1Password extension crashes. This may indicate that the error is linked to network code.

This might help developers isolate the problem without needing to disturb the OS, allowing debuggers to continue to run.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @robmack,

Thanks so much for providing that information- it is very helpful! At this point, I have not been able to re-create this on my own system, but I'm passing it along to our developers to see if they have better luck. :)

• baxtie
    baxtie
    Community Member
    Options

I'm glad I came across this thread, I've also been having the same problem for weeks now. Can we be advised by e-mail when you've managed to produce a fix? There's a clear danger that we might be reaching the stage where rather than hanging around, moving somewhere else has some appeal.
    That would be a pity given the time invested in getting familiar with 1P.

• Matthew Walsh
    Matthew Walsh
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here for about 2 months now. I run chrome with multiple extensions. Instead of shutting down chrome, I go to tools, extensions, then "reload" 1password. But I hope you fix this soon. I am sure for everyone of us searching for a fix there are tons of users who are just frustrated.

I will add that the mac sleep function is rather strange beast so I wish your tech guys luck. Between that and Chrome, i am sure its tough to track down.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @baxtie,

I do apologize for the inconvenience here. As mentioned in my post above (#46), this bug has been particularly difficult to track down because we are not able to generate any useful crash logs. The developers are looking for a solution, but without these logs it can be hard to know where to look. Post #46 also lists a few options that can make your browsing experience a bit more smooth while we do work to sort this out. :)

We will certainly be advising users on our forum when we get this bug sorted out, so stay tuned here!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Matthew,

Thanks so much for your understanding here! Our tech team sure would love to put this beast to rest. :)

• Matthew Walsh
    Matthew Walsh
    Community Member
    Options

Well here is your error as pulled immediately once it crashed.
    11/24/13 12:02:39.206 PM 1PasswordAgent[183]: [HYBI] socketDidDisconnect: Error Domain=GCDAsyncSocketErrorDomain Code=7 "Socket closed by remote peer" UserInfo=0x101c25960 {NSLocalizedDescription=Socket closed by remote peer}

Now fix it please. It is super annoying.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for sending that information along to us! Unfortunately, all that tells us is that the other end of the helper-extension connection disconnected. We know that the connection was disconnected ... because the extension crashed. We need to know why this happened, and those are the logs that we are unable to get.

I do apologize - I know it's an annoying bug. As I mentioned above, quitting Chrome when you're finished with it or leaving a browser window open when you sleep your computer will help you at the very least avoid this bug while we look for a way to solve it for good. :)

We very much appreciate your patience here!

• Zews
    Zews
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue using Chrome Version 31.0.1650.63, and 1P version 3.8.21 (build 32009)

Megan wrote:

There are two things that we have found to be useful in this situation:

Remove Chrome from the list of Login Items (In System Preferences > Users and Groups > Login Items)
    Disabling extension sync in Chrome > Preferences > Settings > Advanced Sync Settings. Then remove and re-install all Chrome extensions.

Chrome has never been on my list of Login Items, and there is no such thing as Advanced Sync Settings under Chrome > Preferences > Settings, nor under Advanced Settings. At least I cannot find it if it is there.

I have removed and re-installed the 1P extensions, and it still crashes all the time.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Zews,

The latest update on this is in my post #17 above (but I won't make you search through the entire thread - it is a bit long!)

Please let me know if this helps!

• Zews
    Zews
    Community Member
    Options

1Password 4 only works with Mavericks, because you no longer support any OS before that.

Unfortunately that is not an option for me, because even though Mavericks is free, I would have buy updates for another bunch of software applications that I depend on on a daily basis, because they also no longer run under Mavericks. And several other application I use are not supported by Mavericks yet at all.

Rather than using the suggested work around, I prefer to go back to Firefox or Safari.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Zews,

I do apologize that we don't have a better solution for you here, I do hope you have better luck with Firefox or Safari!

• Zews
    Zews
    Community Member
    Options

Since there has no solution been forthcoming for a couple of months, it seems now painfully obvious that Agile no longer supports 1Password 3. I have supported 1P since MacWorld 2009, unfortunately it looks that I will now have to look for other alternatives.

• ericb80
    ericb80
    Community Member
    Options

This is quite frustrating, really. I payed a lot of money for this product! In its current crashing state it's virtually impossible to use. So now you seriously expect me to pay $24.99 for an upgrade yet again!? IMHO this should be for free.

• bleepbloop
    bleepbloop
    Community Member
    Options
    • Did anyone have this problem prior to 1password 4 becoming available? It is a recent thing (last few months) for me.
    • How does a major bug like this come into existence for a plugin that has been working well and changed very little (on the front end at least) for years?
    • Suggesting paying for a newer version of the software to "fix" this issue is bad form.
    • Is there any real effort being put into solving this or should we just give up?
  • Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Zews, @ericb80 and @bleepbloop,

I really do apologize for the trouble you are having. The idea here is not to force anyone into an upgrade, but merely to advise you of your options right now as our developers try to solve this bug.

As I've mentioned previously, this bug is difficult to track because the crash occurs when the machine is waking from sleep, so we aren't able to get any useful crash logs to tell us where the error is occurring. It's hard to know what to fix when we can't see what is going wrong! I wish there was a better answer here, and believe me, our tech gurus would love to squash this bug for good.

Of course upgrading to 1Password 4 is certainly not your only option while our tech gurus try to track this bug down. If you prefer to remain with 1Password 3, we have found that the crash can be avoided in two ways:

• Quit Chrome when you're finished
    • Leave a browser window open when you sleep your computer

Again, I am sorry I don't have a more direct answer for you. Please let me know if I can clarify anything further!

• maximir
    maximir
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan, you answers have helped tons. I changed how I treat chrome and stopped closing the windows or I restart chrome when plugins crash. This has helped with other crashing extensions as well. Thanks.

• rlf
    rlf
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using Mac 1Password v. 3.8.21 in Chrome Version 31.0.1650.63 on OS X 10.8.5. The 1Password Chrome browser extension crashes at least once every day. Typically, I'll see two error message boxes in the top right-hand corner of my monitor, each of which says "1Password has crashed. Click this balloon to reload the extension." Is there some way to fix this problem (other than upgrading to 1P v4)? Let me know if there's an error log you'd like to see.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.