Downgrading to v7

fort
fort
Community Member

I'm having so many problems with v8 that I'd like to downgrade to v7. Is that possible and will anything break if I do it?

Thanks,
fort

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @fort, I'm sorry to hear that you've encountered these issues with 1Password 8. Could you share more about those with us? I'll be happy to help if there's anything you could use assistance with, and can pass on feedback to our developers if something's not working properly as well. We want to make sure you can do the things you need to do. 👍

If reverting to version 7 does turn out to be necessary, here's how to do it:

When you upgrade from 1Password 7 to version 8, 1Password 8 places your previous install of 1Password 7 in a zip archive in /Applications. To roll back, all you need to do is uninstall 1Password 8 and unzip the previous version.

• rolltide
    rolltide
    Community Member

I am Families subscriber and downgraded today. v8 frequently does not work at all and the only fix is to quit Safari and 1Password and open both again, which is unacceptable. Really disappointed with v8.

• Hey @rolltide, I'm likewise sorry that you've encountered these issues - and would have loved to help you with it before the rollback! Can you tell me anything about what wasn't working? For example, did you get any error messages you can share, or were there certain things you were unable to do? We want to get issues fixed for you and also everyone else who might have the same issue, so this could really help. I'll hope to hear from you!

• fort
    fort
    Community Member

Hi @PeterG_1P, I've made a couple of posts in the past few days regarding one of my biggest new pain points as a 1Password user - the removal of keyboard shortcuts to select Vaults - but got no replies. At this point, it will save me more time and aggravation to just roll back to v7 than to try to troubleshoot the many problems and added friction I've found in v8, or discover the new but more complex and hidden ways to achieve similar results. As I know that other users have rolled back without issues, I'll do that myself.

I'd also point out that subscribers are not beta testers, so perhaps it would have made sense to iron out these problems before rolling out such a drastically and unpredictably different new version of 1Password to paying customers. I'd find it hard to believe that actual beta testers wouldn't have flagged these issues in the same way that we're seeing over and over in this forum.

• RNRNRNRN1717
    RNRNRNRN1717
    Community Member

I also find version 8 very problematic, especially though not exclusively in Safari. The app also never lets me fill webforms with my identification. Clicking on the icon in boxes often does nothing. The "Alfred" approach doesn't work for me.

My question: I cannot find my zip archive as I had to rebuild my iMac from scratch. Is there another way to get version 7?

• @RNRNRNRN1717

Download 1Password 7 for Mac Should do nicely for your needs.

• RNRNRNRN1717
    RNRNRNRN1717
    Community Member

Thank you for the quick reply. After I install, I assume I just log in and then my passwords will sync?

• dj1P
    dj1P
    Community Member

I have been a longtime 1PW user. I just rolled back to 1PW7 after a frustrating half hour. I was frustrated with:

• not being able to close nested tags, perhaps it could be done but I couldn't figure it out. My nest was so long it pushed most of my tags way down down. I also found it difficult to figure out how to mass edit a tag name. Again it my be possible but I couldn't figure out how.
    • I also found the scroll along the tag line so narrow, it was very difficult to grab it and scroll down.

I re-installed from the Zip archive you mention above and all worked ok in the transition back. I didn't uninstall 1Password 8 which goes only by the name 1Password in the Applications folder with no indicator such as 1Password 8 unless I do a get info. So a bit confusing. I supposed to actually uninstall I just delete it.

• jimkika
    jimkika
    Community Member

As 1Password team does not solve their issues... I'm just passing here to state I'm rolling g back to 1PW7 as well. the 8th version is ridiculously buggy and bad designed. The community is full of posts about it.

• Apologies for the late reply here, @RNRNRNRN1717, hopefully you're all sorted now but yes that's correct. The data you see in your account on 1Password.com will populate in the apps once you sign in.

@dj1P,

Apologies as well for not seeing this until the recent bump. We do have an open feature request to collapse nested tags, I've added a proxy vote on your behalf. I'd welcome this feature too so I hope we'll see it in future updates! Regarding editing a tag's name, this can be done by right-clicking the tag:

I hope you'll try 1Password 8 again in the future, we're here to offer support either way. 🙂

@jimkika,

Appreciate you letting us know. If you're open to sharing any additional feedback, I'd love to capture your thoughts in our internal trackers so we can make the improvements you'd like to see. Let me know if you have any questions or want to share your use cases. 👍🏻

ref: IDEA-I-362

• jimkika
    jimkika
    Community Member

@andrew.l_1P there’s a lot of topics unsolved in the forum regarding 1pw8. They go from, searching mechanism to not properly working iOS(doesn’t auto fill // doesn’t bring the keyboard “passwords” option // the main screen is really confusing // most apps doesn’t recognize it(Fido, Virgin…) and many more you can find in the forum.

And all used to work properly on 1pw7 so stop saying it’s and iOS issue. Search for “downgrade to 1pw7” and you’ll see…

• mbrocious
    mbrocious
    Community Member

Agree that v8 is a step backwards in terms of stability and usability. I'm on Mac Monterey and get beachballs frequently when using Quick Access. Chrome then hangs for a minute or so before things free up and start to work. I think the UI is more confusing now also, but I don't remember specifically what was giving me grief. And why can't I set the default vault for saving new items??? I swear I used to be able to do that.

Gonna go back to v7.

• @jimkika

Thank you for the reply. We're definitely taking the feedback from everyone to heart and working hard to make 1Password even better. 😊

@mbrocious

I'm sorry that Chrome is hanging when you use Quick Access. Our developers are aware of this issue and are investigating. We hope to release a fix in a future update to 1Password.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#17385

• robdbirch
    robdbirch
    Community Member

Still on 7, was thinking of upgrading 8. This thread answers my questions pretty good, sounds like 8 is the typical electron garbage.
    8n't happening!

• howardoakland
    howardoakland
    Community Member

I did it on three computers, worked fine.

• eamiel
    eamiel
    Community Member

I'm in Safari. I click on the 1P8 extension and a window opens up that blocks the User Name and PW fields to fill in. This window cannot be moved or resized. Makes no sense that this passed beta. Just one of multiple issues I have. Seems like pw8 is not ready for prime time and rolling back to pw7 is the right move.

• bmunicorn
    bmunicorn
    Community Member

!Password 8 is definitely not what I expected from 1Password! Complaints on my laptop Mac range from the 1Password window hiding in the background when you need to fill a second item, too many clicks to find your favorites, 1Password not always accepting my watch to open the file, 1Password for Safari not allowing more choices for entry when the same website has more than one password entry. Lots of little things that make this a headache instead of easy to use. Seriously thinking of rolling back to 1Password 7 on all devices

• ShadowRider11
    ShadowRider11
    Community Member

I have 1Password on multiple devices, and my entire life runs on it. I considered upgrading to version 8, but after seeing all of the issues, I think I'll stick to version 7 for as long as I can.

• warmth1indigo
    warmth1indigo
    Community Member

I'm done. I've given it a fair shot, but I'd just too buggy. After promises for over a year, there is still:

• Dates are completely wrong (only correct for Americans).
    • The main app becoming unresponsive on a regular basis. Needing to close and reopen when using the app for more than a few minutes.
    • Text services and copy/paste still does not work, must use the BIG buttons to copy. No spelling options.
    • The quick menu is objectively worse. Does not stay on screen and often shows the wrong item.
    • SLOW as f interface. Rescaling is just jarring to watch. I thought it was just on my old 2011 laptop, but also on an M1 Pro.
    • NOT a native client. NOT macOS first UI. If I wanted yet-another-react-for-desktop I can go to any other competitor. THIS IS NOT WHY WE ARE CUSTOMERS (apologies).
    • Generally constant little annoyances while using it.

Overall, the app just looks and FEELS like it's meant to be showcased rather than used.
    I'm moving back to 7 and... keeping an eye out for competitors.

I'm mostly frustrated with the attitude evolution over the past few years:

• we are self-sufficient and don't need investors.
    • we now do have investor but they won't dictate what we do.
    • they dictate what we do.
    • full web app released to all platforms, native apps in the bin.
This discussion has been closed.