Copy paste (clipboard)

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

Hi ,

I still use the autofill method and not the extension in safari..that works fine with me.

I have a question about the following

I copy a password from the 1password app and paste it into the website where I want to change or fill the password. I use this method when I create a create a password for the first time or when there’s no way to use autofill). The copied password will be deleted in 90 seconds.

Is it a problem or risk that during the copy/ paste action on the ios ipad, the ipad is sometimes filled with previous browser history or other apps in the background?

During the copy paste action I only paste the password once and at the right field /website ;)

Regards,

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @F_9083x! 👋

Is there a reason why you're not interested in using 1Password for Safari to fill and save your passwords? I find it to be the most convenient way to fill passwords on my iPhone with Password AutoFill coming in a close second.

Is it a problem or risk that during the copy/ paste action on the ios ipad, the ipad is sometimes filled with previous browser history or other apps in the background?

Can you clarify your specific concerns a little further? iOS apps have the ability to access to clipboard so, if you have a malicious app installed on your iPhone, it's theoretically possible that the app would be able to see a password that's been copied to your clipboard. That being said, I believe that iOS 16 will introduce clipboard permissions so that apps have to request access to your clipboard before they're able to see it.

-Dave

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hi Dave,
    🙏

I try to explain the 2 remarks ….

I remember that when the extension in safari ios was introduced I had some problems. I received multiple new login notifications from 1password in my mail and I had to login with my master password over and over again. That’s why I decided to stick to autofill and use copy and paste when creating a new password. In some cases I can not create a login item so using the clipboard and autofill is an effectiive method, knowing that after 90 seconds the clipboard will be removed. So maybe it’s an idea to use the safari extension again but in some occasions copy paste with the clipboard will be needed.

I do not have a jailbroken ipad ( version 15.6) and as a far as I know do not have malicious apps but you pointed out the concern I have with other apps. I read about this danger of other apps reading the clipboard. it is good to hear that in ios 16 users will be informed about the interference of other apps.
    I created and changed a lot of passwords in the past by using the clipboard. Should I stop using the clipboard and change all these passwords 😕 I find it little bit difficult to caliculate the risk that another app can see your clipboard.. Knowing that using the clipboard will sometimes be inevitable.
    Hope you can help with this dilemma 😬

Regards,

• @F_9083x

We have a nice blog article about copy and pasting on iOS here: The iOS clipboard conundrum

Only you can decide what your threat model is and what tools you're comfortable using on your device. By copying passwords to the clipboard you do run the theoretical risk of having another app see those passwords since apps have access to the clipboard. If you have untrusted apps on your iPhone (which I wouldn't recommend installing in the first place) then you can stick with using 1Password for Safari and Password AutoFill to save and fill your passwords.

I received multiple new login notifications from 1password in my mail and I had to login with my master password over and over again.

We do have some open issues that our developers are working on when it comes to 1Password for Safari. If you do run into any issues after enabling 1Password for Safari in the future then please let us know and we'll be happy to investigate further. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.