1Password for Safari and 1Password 7 - need both?

4dickeys
4dickeys
Community Member

I was setting up a new computer and ended up with both 1Password 7 AND 1Password for Safari installed as applications? Do I need both? Seems like the Safari 1Password extension wouldn't show up as a separate application. And, in fact, there's an option to activate the 1Password for Safari extension separately. Can I delete 1Password for Safari?

1Password Version: 7.9.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.6.7
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:1Password for Safari and 1Password 7 - need both?

Comments

• Hey @4dickeys:

1Password for Safari is designed to work with 1Password 8, the current version of 1Password for Mac. It's a separate app, whereas 1Password 7 for Mac included the Safari extension directly in the 1Password app.

You can get 1Password 8 for Mac here: https://1password.com/downloads/mac/

Jack

• 4dickeys
    4dickeys
    Community Member

Ah - got it. Thanks for the assist!

• @4dickeys

I'm happy that Jack was able to answer your question. 😊

• fhottinger
    fhottinger
    Community Member

So, do I need this 2nd app 1Password for Safari to keep 1PW 8 running ? Don't like its intrusiveness.

• Hi @fhottinger,

You'll need 1Password for Safari if you plan on using the Safari browser extension, but it isn't required for 1Password 8 itself to run. 🙂

• ChristophR
    ChristophR
    Community Member

This seems very heavy weight and looks like you need to run 1password 7 in addition to 1password 8 just make it work it work with Safari. Any plans to correct this in a future version?

• Hi @ChristophR:

To clarify, your choices for Safari are as follows:

• 1Password 7, which includes the 1Password extension compatible with 1Password 7 included
    • 1Password 8 works alongside 1Password for Safari, downloaded separately

In other words, it isn't necessary to have both 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 installed to use 1Password 8 with Safari.

Jack

• cgmache
    cgmache
    Community Member

Dear all,
    Could you please clarify the situation for iOS as well?

This discussion has been closed.