VPN service name for 1Password

putna
putna
Community Member

I have been a loyal user of 1password for last ~10 years and community member since 2014.

1password is a great peace of software. Loving version 8, recommending all my friends.

Getting to the point: I saw orher Lounge topics regarding VPN service and how 1Password has no plans going into this direction. Somehow I agree with that.

On the other hand - it looks like the VPN companies are trying to get into password managers bussiness. It feels like - it might be the case that the best password manager gets into VPN business some day.

It happens to be that I am the owner of 1vpn.com (proof: added TXT record to DNS ‘dig txt jeff.1vpn.com’ specially for Jeff). I thought it would really bring value to 1password brand if ever considering going this direction.

In any case just wanted to let you know, PM if that is something of an interest.

Keep building the best software!

Comments

• rjborley
    rjborley
    Community Member

I would fully support this. Whilst I love using 1password, l also use expressvpn. I have tried expressVpn keys.it is not as good as 1password. However, there is only one thing keeping me with 1 password now, and that is the family plan. If ExpressVPN offers a family plan I will switch my password management to them and save myself £80 per year. Sorry 1Password but you are missing the point here.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

If you suggest that 1Password should aim to supply some kind of vpn, then my answer is: no. That's a completely different product, a completely different technology. You're asking a butcher to also offer fruit and vegetables: the only thing in common is the shop.

If vpn services start to offer password managers, then this is a move to bind users to their vpn service, because you don't change password managers daily. VPNs, on the other hand, can be easily exchanged: just install a different software, enter credentials, and you're ready.

It's also not recommended to concentrate too much security and safety related functionality into the hands of the same provider. If you need to change the provider because he has somehow become untrustworthy or unfeasible to use (too expensive for example), so you need to change fast, this gets the more difficult the more functionality is concentrated on this one provider.

Between you and me, I don't consider most vpn services trustworthy. Many sell usage data, so your privacy isn't respected, although privacy was advertised. Usually, vpn's are simply not required. For most applications, the security of https is all you need. VPNs add an additional layer of complexity that can be exploited just because of the complexity. If you just want to stay anonymous, anonymity through a VPN is more an illusion. To be really anonymous, you need something like TOR. VPNs can help with connection issues due to their overlay network nature, but again: this is only for a small subset of users.

• Kakkoister2
    Kakkoister2
    Community Member

As a loyal user of 1PW myself also and how much I love the product. I also use a VPN full time, for myself I agree with @Tertius3 1PW's best strength is just focusing on 1PW only, there's a reason it's a no competition on what the best password manager is, when you think of 1PW, I have my VPN covered by another company I'm happy with, and like to keep services separated. As you see VPN companies offer something like email also.

This discussion has been closed.