Face ID Not Working [Fixed. Please see the approved answer for details.]

Comments

• mmanning
    mmanning
    Community Member

Same here. I too, would like to know what the fix is or where I may download v7 if I purchased my license via the website NOT the App Store.

• hevak
    hevak
    Community Member

I even tried reinstalling the app to no avail.

• Nileane
    Nileane
    Community Member

Same issue here. Just like you said, I reset my settings and now FaceID just won’t work to unlock 1Password, even after reinstalling the app.

• Hi @Nileane / @hevak / @mmanning:

This is something we're actively investigating and hope to know more soon.

@mmanning:

1Password 7 is available from the Purchase History in the App Store if you're previously downloaded it using your Apple ID. Let me know if you have any trouble finding it.

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#15937

• stefanodottori
    stefanodottori
    Community Member

Hi @Jack.P_1P

Any updates about this issue?

I’m also affected by this when using 1Password 8 with my iPad Pro

• Hi @stefanodottori:

Thanks for reaching out. Nothing to share just yet, but we're actively investigating.

Jack

• shadowplayer
    shadowplayer
    Community Member

Hi—I just thought I’d share that after updating to IOS 16 on my phone this issue of failed Face ID when it shouldn’t fail seems to have gone away. I’ll report back if I get it again…but after IOS 16 update it seems to work more consistently.

• Thank you for this, @shadowplayer!

For anyone else who is experiencing the same problem: we'd love to know if updating to iOS 16 resolves the issue for you. Do let us know! 🙌

• Boichat
    Boichat
    Community Member

Still broken for me after upgrading :(

• shadowplayer
    shadowplayer
    Community Member

So unfortunately I now have the issue happening again on IOS 16.

• Hacktron
    Hacktron
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

Hoping to get some assistance after updating to iOS 16. Currently when I try to access the 1Password app the Face ID always fails and says I need to enter my password before using face ID. However, no matter how many times I try it continues to give the same error.

What I've attempted:

1. Reset All Phone Settings
    2. Reset Face ID
    3. Turn off Face ID in the App, reboot App and turn back on
    4. Turn off Face ID in the App, delete App, re download and turn back on

Nothing so far has fixed this and it has become very annoying to have to enter the password instead of the convenience of Face ID for every login. Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

1Password Version: 8.9.5
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: iOS 16.0
    Browser:_ Not Provided

• Hi @Hacktron

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue unlocking 1Password with Face ID. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device to take a closer look at the issue here:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• CaptainJD
    CaptainJD
    Community Member

Question for clarification: does this only affect safari extensions but on the iPhone it will still work with Face ID due to Apple password auto populations?

I’m concerned about upgrading, and would probably look to export everything to keychains if 1PW is no longer viable with basic websites.??

• shadowplayer
    shadowplayer
    Community Member

it fails and requires master password often (not every time, but seemingly at random). what I've done is left 1Password 7 also installed...and I set 1Password 7 to do the auto population in Safari. but every time I see 1Password 8 update...I will switch back to see if the issue is fixed. I thought IOS16 fixed the issue...but it turned out that it's still there after I left 1Password 8 as the default long enough to run into the issue again.

• Hi @shadowplayer:

Thanks for following up and letting us know that this is reoccurring on iOS 16. Did you make any changes to the settings of your device after updating to iOS 16?

Let me know.

@CaptainJD:

To clarify, there's two things at play here. First is that recent updates to 1Password 7 and 8 for iOS have removed Face ID and Touch ID unlock due to changes in the user flow and experience. Biometric sign-in across all other devices and browsers other than Safari will remain the same. The issue being discussed here is that in some situations, a successful Touch ID or Face ID unlock does not work with 1Password 8 for iOS when unlocking the main app. We're still investigating the exact cause of this and hope to know more soon.

Jack

• shadowplayer
    shadowplayer
    Community Member

Hi, I hadn’t really changed anything after updating to IOS 16…it just didn’t happen right away. I did just try something else…I’ve rest Face ID entirely and set it up again. So far it hasn’t failed, but I’ll report back in a few days if I get it again.

• shawnye
    shawnye
    Community Member

Hi @jac.pd_1p

As @Hacktron said, I reset all settings after upgrading to iOS 16 as usual. But FaceID stops working. I can see a clear error on the support file. Wonder why it takes so long like ~1 month or more to fix this terrible broken function.

[1P:ffi/core-opi-b5x/src/unlock.rs:69] enclave error: EnclaveError(UnprotectingSecret(DecryptWithKeyFailed(-3))) 
                                                           ERROR 2022-09-12T12:34:01.927 ThreadId(2) 
    [1P:ffi/core-opi-b5x/src/lib.rs:186] Failed to connect to 1Password App due to error: MissingUnlockInformationInKeychain
                                                           WARN  2022-09-12T12:34:01.928 ThreadId(2) 
    [1P:ffi/core-opi-b5x/src/lib.rs:185] Failed to unlock accounts from OPI via keychain: AppCommunicationFailed

I tried every trick I could come up with, including deleting keychain items using the Keychain Access.app with no luck. Super disappointed.

• shadowplayer
    shadowplayer
    Community Member

I have now run into same error after resetting Face ID. It’s a a real bummer. 1Password 7 would always just work.

• shadowplayer
    shadowplayer
    Community Member

A good way to reproduce the error is just repeatedly fill the same password field. It will eventually fail.

• vinaygup
    vinaygup
    Community Member

Any resolution on this.

• Hi @vinaygup / @shawnye:

Thanks for checking in. We're continuing to investigate this, but don't have anything to share just yet.

Jack

• vinaygup
    vinaygup
    Community Member

I’ve downgraded to version 7. That works. May cancel my subscription if this continues

• mikiwa
    mikiwa
    Community Member

Where you at with the Face Id issue? It's been a month. This issue is a deal breaker. Having to type master password every time I need to access 1Password is terrible. Plz fix this soon!!!!!

• shadowplayer
    shadowplayer
    Community Member

I agree it would be great to get a status. I’m also curious if this issue is just some of us or everyone has the same issue? For me personally—I have this issue on my iPhone, but I never have experienced it on my iPad Pro with Face ID. So it seems to be specific to iPhone app. Thanks

• Hacktron
    Hacktron
    Community Member

@jac.pd_1p just completed your steps. Will report back with the support ticket once I receive it.

• danknpf
    danknpf
    Community Member

Same here. Tried steps above and in other forums, nothing works. Have to manually enter master password every time.

• KevinXu
    KevinXu
    Community Member

@vinaygup How to downgrade to 1Password 7?

• shawnye
    shawnye
    Community Member

@KevinXu If you, by any luck, have downloaded 1Password 7 once, then you can get it from "Purchased" in App Store. Otherwise, it will need the 1P team's action.

• vinaygup
    vinaygup
    Community Member

Just to add to the confusion. I just upgraded to an iPhone 14, with iOS 16.01, and vesion 8/FaceID seems to be back working

• Hacktron
    Hacktron
    Community Member

@vinaygup 16.01 or 16.1? Are you able to share diagnostics on the new phone? May help the developers understand what is going on.

This discussion has been closed.