Autofill filling suggestions not available in 1password 8 for android on galaxy S8

Options
rickles
rickles
Community Member

Hi All,

The previous Android version had the option under "Autofill" to "Always show Autofill suggestions below fields". That gave the user the option to have suggestions on the keyboard or drop down menus. That option does not appear in 1Password 8 for Android.

The option "Show Filling Suggestions" does appear, but on my Galaxy S8 tablet only the option to turn on or off, but not to choose which option. By default on my tablet suggestions appear on the keyboard. How can I change suggestions to a drop down menu?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

1Password Version: 8.9.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android
Browser:_ Edge
Referrer: forum-search:Autofill filling suggestions not available in 1password 8 for android on galaxy S8

Comments

• pem
    pem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rickles,
    I also have a Samsung S8 with 1Password 8.9.2.
    On mine there is no longer any suggestion when using Chrome or Brave.
    When using Firefox or Duckduckgo, the 1Password prompt appears but the app crashes when unlocking it with fingerprint.
    Which browser and keyboard are you using ?

best regards

• rickles
    rickles
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Pem,
    I am using the Edge browser and Samsung keyboard and not really having any issues at all. I just prefer a drop down menu for suggestions rather than the keyboard suggestions. However I can't find any way to change it in 1Password8.

I'm also not using fingerprint unlock. I'm still unlocking with my password (which is a nuisance). There may be an issue with fingerprint unlock.

Cheers

• Hi @rickles, thanks for your question! The Always show Autofill suggestions below fields setting was added to 1Password 7 as a workaround for an issue caused by Gboard around the release of Android 12. This setting is not currently available in 1Password 8 for Android but it's something we're interested in adding in the future. Thanks for sharing your feedback, I've passed it along to the team.

Could you tell me a little more about the issue with Fingerprint unlock on your tablet? I'm sorry to hear that hasn't been working for you.

@pem, thanks for the assist! I'm sorry to hear there's been an issue with Fingerprint unlock and Autofill.

If you tap Show filling suggestions off from Settings > Autofill do you see an "Open 1Password" prompt when tapping a field in Edge or Chrome? Can you unlock the 1Password directly with your fingerprint or does the crash happen any time you try to unlock with biometrics?

Thanks again!

• Ronso
    Ronso
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_timothy - just want to add my experience here. My wife has a Samsung Galaxy S9+ with Android 10. I have a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra. Both we are on 1Password 8.9.2.
    Today I recognized that my wife gets a popup, when entering an input field. I get an icon on the top of my keyboard.
    We have the exact same settings. We use swiftkey as keyboard.
    Why does she get the popup and I don't?

• rickles
    rickles
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

@ag_timothy thanks for your reply. That puts it into context for me. No problems I will await to see whether the option appears again. I really liked the drop down menu option on Android. As far as the fingerprint unlock, there is no issue for me. I think I was suggesting that Pem may have an issue. I was not using fingerprint unlock because my tablet fingerprint reader can be a little unreliable. However since posting I have given it a try and it works really well on 1Password.

• Hello @Ronso, thanks for your question. There are three common situations where the suggestions will be moved on screen:
    1. A physical keyboard is in use with the device.
    2. An on-screen keyboard that does not support inline filling is in use.
    3. The suggestion strip of the keyboard has been turned off.

For number two, this would be more common on Android 9 devices. Swiftkey adopted inline filling later than other popular keyboards so it may be that the newest version available on Android 10 does not have this feature or Swiftkey isn't updated on the tablet. For number three, this is only possible with Gboard to my knowledge. Turning the suggestion strip off will also turn off the suggested words while typing.

@rickles, thanks for clarifying that for me. I'm glad to hear Fingerprint unlock is working well on your tablet! If there's anything else we can help with, just let us know!

• Ronso
    Ronso
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_timothy thanks for information. Good to know that this depends on some software versions and not on any setting. Wish I could configure it in 1Password to show a Popup, but may I just have to get used to it.

• You're very welcome @Ronso! Hopefully we'll see the return of this setting option in the not-so-distant future.

• Vykeria
    Vykeria
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having a closely related issue that I'm wondering if I could have some support on as well.

In my case, (Samsung S21U, Android 12, Gboard), the suggestion strip is enabled, and the Autofill suggestions option is on, but no suggestions are ever shown. It only ever shows "Open 1Password".

Do you, @ag_timothy, or anyone else, have an ideas I could try? I feel like I've tried variation of every setting, but still no dice.
    For added context, this was working fine yesterday, but then I factory reset my phone, and after setting everything up again, this now happens.

Here's hoping! Fingers crossed

• Hi @Vykeria, thanks for writing in!

Do you have the beta installed on your device (version 8.9.7-7)? You can check by unlocking 1Password and tapping Settings > About. If you do have the beta installed, what you've described in a known issue and one we're working to resolve. At the moment, the workaround would be to tap Open 1Password, then select your suggested item, or revert to the production version.

If you'd like to switch to production, you can find steps in the guide below. Before uninstalling any version of 1Password, please confirm you can sign in on 1Password.com or another 1Password app and that you have you sign in credentials handy.

If you're currently using the production version and only seeing Open 1Password, let me know. Thanks again!

• Vykeria
    Vykeria
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_timothy Yup! I'm on the Beta, so that explains it. I'm fine with staying on the Beta to help, so if you need anything from me, let me know. I just find it odd that it was fine before the factory reset but I was also on the Beta then.

• Thanks for confirming that @Vykeria.

My guess would be that you were still on the previous beta prior to the factory reset and installed the newest one when setting back up but it's hard to say definitively.

We can reproduce the error internally and work is underway to get it resolved but I very much appreciate your offer of assistance!

This discussion has been closed.