Version 8 is more of a downgrade

Options
ich
ich
Community Member

I use 1password for quite some time now (7 years and I use the online sync since the start) but it feels like the app is taking a weird directions and got improved for the worse.

Version 8 really feels more like a downgrade than an upgrade.

Yes, the app feels quicker and a bit cleaner, but:

• showing passwords only if I click and hold down: takes longer & isn’t intuitive

• search bar gone… seriously that doesn’t make sense. If I open the app Im looking for something: so either it’s a favourite and I find it immediately or I’ll have to search. In version 8 I need an extra Click to open the search function? But why?
    Why isn’t there a prominent search bar on the homescreen?

• Face ID is quicker but crashes way more often than in v.7

• and not only limited to iOS: why do I need to adjust the settings in every single add on (chrome, safari, Firefox) why doesn’t sync 1password those universal sweeting’s across my devices (e.g. password length etc)

Comments

• jiclark
    jiclark
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

I’ll add the incredibly annoying fact that the Favorites list is sorted in some totally random fashion with no other sort options!!?? Seriously? How could that have snuck into the release version!

I’d also like to ask if anyone is going to respond to this list?

• InfiniteBeat
    InfiniteBeat
    Community Member
    Options

I am more worried that IP8 is out for about 2 weeks and still there is not any significiant update. Even on night realeases they exactly haven't improved anything except search function thus far.

• Dr_Owssap1
    Dr_Owssap1
    Community Member
    Options

Don’t forget they removed the ability to set a default vault for saving new items. 😰

• aphonic
    aphonic
    Community Member
    Options

Having used it for a week or so I don’t think it’s a downgrade but I do think maybe there should have been a bit more work in before release.

The new uk will take time to get used to, but adding more taps to get places isn’t great. I don’t know why we can’t drag down on the home screen for search for example.

My personal issue is that it isn't registered in iOS as a password manager. It sort of sometimes maybe is there but even logging in to this site, no option of using 1p. It doesn’t seem to be registered as a password manager across the system. That said I trust the 1p team and I think it’s a hiccup in the very long history, and future, of this tool

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hi folks,

I’d also like to ask if anyone is going to respond to this list?

There is a lot of feedback here. I wish I had words to respond to all of it. I'm going to do my best.

@aphonic

My personal issue is that it isn't registered in iOS as a password manager. It sort of sometimes maybe is there but even logging in to this site, no option of using 1p. It doesn’t seem to be registered as a password manager across the system.

It sounds like you may not have 1Password enabled for Password AutoFill? Could you please check your settings? Instructions on setting it up can be found here:

Use 1Password to fill and save in apps and browsers on your iPhone and iPad

Additionally we now offer 1Password for Safari, which is even more powerful and has more advanced filling logic:

Get to know 1Password for Safari on your iPhone or iPad

The new uk will take time to get used to, but adding more taps to get places isn’t great. I don’t know why we can’t drag down on the home screen for search for example.

Making search more accessible is definitely feedback we've heard and are evaluating how to best move forward.

That said I trust the 1p team and I think it’s a hiccup in the very long history, and future, of this tool

Thank you!

@Dr_Owssap1

Don’t forget they removed the ability to set a default vault for saving new items.

We've heard a fair bit about this as well. For some context on why this changed... we now have Collections, and we also have a spot on the new item/edit screen. This makes it easier to define which vault an item is going to go into because you don't have to switch to the vault you want to save into before saving.

If we were to add such a feature... how would it interact with Collections? What if you set a vault that isn't part of the collection you're currently in as the default? Should that preference still be honored? A bit rhetorical here, but trying to illustrate some of the reason for the change and hurdles to overcome if we're going to bring a "default vault for saving" back.

I am more worried that IP8 is out for about 2 weeks and still there is not any significiant update.

We've released two updates in those two weeks, with the following improvements:

• We’ve fixed the supported languages for 1Password in the iOS settings.
    • We’ve updated the titles for the Customize Home and Customize Items screens.
    • We’ve fixed an issue the caused the item creation screen to disappear if you go to the iOS Home screen.
    • We’ve improved the experience of customizing the Home and Items tabs.
    • We’ve fixed an issue that caused the Edit button to not work when an item was opened in AutoFill.
    • The correct document size will now be reported when adding a file to an item.
    • We’ve updated the empty Home screen to be more vertically aligned.
    • You can now subscribe to a 1Password membership via an in-app purchase for your 1Password account on the Manage Accounts view.
    • We’ve fixed an issue where 1Password accounts added to 1Password 7 wouldn’t be shown when opening 1Password 8 for the first time and the device has the iCloud Keychain disabled.

Plenty more to come. 😃

@jiclark

I’ll add the incredibly annoying fact that the Favorites list is sorted in some totally random fashion with no other sort options!!?? Seriously? How could that have snuck into the release version!

Yep; you're right. We're going to improve this.

@ich

and not only limited to iOS: why do I need to adjust the settings in every single add on (chrome, safari, Firefox) why doesn’t sync 1password those universal sweeting’s across my devices (e.g. password length etc)

Syncing the browser settings is an interesting idea, but something I'd personally want the ability to disable. I intentionally have different settings in different browsers so I can maintain a separation between work and home.

Face ID is quicker but crashes way more often than in v.7

Could you please shoot us an email to support+ios@1password.com outlining the difficulty you're having with Face ID? A description of:
    1. The step you're taking
    2. What you expect to happen
    3. What happens instead

Would be a great start. We'd love to get to the bottom of this for you.

search bar gone… seriously that doesn’t make sense. If I open the app Im looking for something: so either it’s a favourite and I find it immediately or I’ll have to search. In version 8 I need an extra Click to open the search function? But why?

Why isn’t there a prominent search bar on the homescreen?

I hit on this a bit above, but yes, we are talking about how we can improve the accessibility of search.

showing passwords only if I click and hold down: takes longer & isn’t intuitive

Lots of discussion on this as well. A long press to show a context menu is part of Apple's HIG (human interface guidelines). You can see Apple themselves use it on the home screen. If you press and hold on an app you'll get a similar menu. That said, we have heard that some number of customers aren't quite as familiar or comfortable with this action as the quick tap that was used in v7. The downside of the quick tap is that we can't then have a default action (in 1Password 8 a quick tap copies the password to the clipboard). We're hashing this one out. I'm not sure which direction it'll go, but we do appreciate the continued feedback and will weigh all of it as we consider further changes.

Thanks everyone!

Ben

• schrino
    schrino
    Community Member
    Options

On v8 opening a document on ipad would not be full screen like v7.

• aphonic
    aphonic
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben i do have it as a password manager - I think the issue is I had 7 and 8 side by side and then removed 7. I’d thought at the time that you intended to run parallel releases for a while but it seems it was due to an overlap between two different countries stores. When I removed 7 I think it broke something so I’ll try reinstall. Thanks.

• ings
    ings
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben you said:

"If we were to add such a feature (a default vault) ... how would it interact with Collections? "

I found this an interesting comment ... because I only use a couple of vaults (one personal, and one shared with my spouse) so I don't see any value in using Collections. Similarly I only use a couple of vaults because between tagging and searching I don't see much value in multiple vaults either.

So from my perspective (YMMV) you've introduced needless complexity (Collections) while not taking care of basic business (being able to set a default place to save stuff).

• HappySpaceInvader
    HappySpaceInvader
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

I particularly dislike the way autofill “Show filling suggestions) now works where there’s more than one possible entry (i.e. more than one for the same URL).

In v7, the list of matching entries starts sorted by the name of the 1Password entry, so you can easily manipulate which entry is suggested by changing the entry name.

In v8, the list of matching entries is sorted by username, regardless of what you’ve called the entry, whether it’s a favourite or which vault it’s in. This makes it impossible to manipulate which password is auto-suggested.

So this means v8 inevitably suggests matches I don’t want. Additionally, it doesn’t show the name of the 1Password entry at all - only the username and the URL.

It’s all-too-easy to accidentally select the suggested entry - the only workaround for this is to switch suggestions off and always tap on the key symbol to bring up the list of matches.

BOTTOM LINE: Autofill suggestions needs to be more intelligent (e.g. picking most used) and/or provide a means for users to define the search scope/order.

• HappySpaceInvader
    HappySpaceInvader
    Community Member
    Options

@ings ”I don't see any value in using Collections.”

I don’t either… and I use a few more vaults than you: each family member has a personal vault, then there’s a shared vault for everyone, another just for me and my spouse and another separate one for my limited company.

If Collections could be used to define a search order, then I’d see the point… but as it stands, I’m struggling to see the use case.

• HappySpaceInvader
    HappySpaceInvader
    Community Member
    Options

Another feature missing from 1Password 8: “previously used passwords”.

This was very useful for when an account is showing as compromised, but on the website you need to enter in the old password in order to change to the new one. If you’d already created a new password in 1Password 7, no problem! You can still retrieve the old one. In 1Password 8, the minute you change a password, the old one is gone forever :-(

• Ben
    Options

Collections were a highly demanded feature, especially from folks who use 1Password both at home and at work. They evolved out of the "All Vaults" feature in 1Password 7, which allowed you to define which vaults were included in your default view. Collections are the next iteration of that, in that you can have multiple views whereas in 1Password 7 there is only one "All Vaults" view. Perhaps ironically "All Vaults" often didn't contain all of a person's vaults. This created a bit of a disconnect, and so when given the opportunity to completely re-write the app we took a hard look at how to improve that experience. Collections is the result of that.

I'll share how I'm personally using it, and also give one other example use case. For me, I have a few collections set up:

1. Daily Driver — This contains the Personal vault from each of my non-work accounts, as well as a subset of shared vaults I have access to
    2. Vocation — Only my AgileBits work vaults
    3. Avocation — Only the vaults that contain the items related to my volunteer work
    4. Test — Limited to the items that I don't mind showing in screenshots, demos, etc

Each one of these collections contains multiple vaults from across multiple accounts. This allows me to context switch more easily. When I'm at work, I can filter out all of the items that aren't work related. When I'm at home I can filter out work. And when I'm volunteering, I can filter out both and focus on just the items related to that volunteer work.

Another use case... for folks who assist their family. You may have access to your family's vaults because you get the occasional phone call from them for help, but you don't want to see their stuff every time you're trying to log in for yourself. A collection can help with this.

There is definitely more we can do here. Personally I'd love to see collections come to the browser extensions so the experience is consistent there as well.

@HappySpaceInvader

Previously used passwords still exist. To view the previous passwords:

1. (Desktop) Hover over the password field and click the down arrow that appears. (Mobile) Press and hold on the password field.
    2. Select the "view password history" option in the resulting menu

Ben

• ings
    ings
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

@AMonitorDarkly said: @Ben For me, I see the value of Collections but what was frustrating is that 1P8 essentially broke the previous UX

I see the value too, if you are a power user with multiple accounts and multiple vaults. Collections are designed for the complicated case, not the straightforward case of a family with (say) one shared account and a personal vault per family member.

A friend of mine recently switched from 1Password to Dashlane. I was curious why - since I've been a paying 1Password customer for 10 years now - so recently I read a number of Dashlane reviews. The two products seem roughly comparable except Dashlane gets higher marks for simplicity and ease of use. IMO usability is often lost in the rush to add cool new features to a mature product.

Despite my carping :-) I'm still a loyal customer, and I very much appreciate that @Ben and his peers really do listen to feedback. 1Password's support team is second to none!

• Ben
    Options

@AMonitorDarkly

You should be able to see vaults in the sidebar (desktop) or the items tab (mobile). Clicking/tapping on one will show you just the items in that vault. Additionally there is a hidden search feature where you can prefix your query with =vault: to filter results to a specific vault. For example, =vault:Personal Netflix will show results from Netflix from the Personal vault only.

A friend of mine recently switched from 1Password to Dashlane. I was curious why - since I've been a paying 1Password customer for 10 years now - so recently I read a number of Dashlane reviews. The two products seem roughly comparable except Dashlane gets higher marks for simplicity and ease of use. IMO usability is often lost in the rush to add cool new features to a mature product.

Perhaps ironically one of the criticisms we've seen of 1Password 8 is that it is "too simple" or "fisher price" (their term, not mine). I'm hoping that for the vast majority of users we've struck a good balance. There will always be folks who want things to be more or less complex than where we land.

Despite my carping :-) I'm still a loyal customer, and I very much appreciate that @Ben and his peers really do listen to feedback. 1Password's support team is second to none!

🥰 We really do try. It can be hard with the sheer volume of feedback we receive, but we fully understand that people wouldn't take the time to share their thoughts if they didn't care about the product. We want to be respectful of that and do our best to hear everyone out. We'll never be able to give everyone exactly what they want, but we make every effort to listen and to advocate for positive change where we can.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Hmm. Please try this, @AMonitorDarkly:

1. Select a vault in the side bar
    2. Press ⌘F (or Ctrl+F on Windows)
    3. Perform your search

I agree the situation with tags is less flexible. I'm hopeful we can iterate on that if there is enough demand to do so.

Ben

• BGRBilly
    BGRBilly
    Community Member
    Options

I "upgraded" to 1 Password 8 on my iPhone despite seeing very poor reviews about one week ago. That was a mistake!

I instantly ran into issues where I could not locate more than two-thirds of my logins and passwords!

Also, I could not get 1 Password 8 to populate the username and password for my Apps. Even after ensuring 'autofill' was enabled.
    It only mentioned to "unlock 1 Password in your browser". Really!!!

I've been using 1 Password for many years now, and this is truly a disappointment and, in my opinion, an unnecessary frustration.

May I suggest removing 1 Password 8 until you get all of these bugs that so many have talked about, and then jumping to 1 Password 9 as "8" has left a very bad impression on many? It seems that this was released well before it had been thoroughly vetted.

Another item that frustrated me was the lack of a number to call for support.

This discussion has been closed.