1Password 8 not working in some Mac user accounts

Options
markbot
markbot
Community Member

Dear Helpers,

Got v8.8 up and running well, so far so good.

Except --

I have multiple user accounts on my iMac and v8 won't open up in at least one of them, which happens to be an Admin account. I tried giving it Read/Write access to the app, but no joy.

I get two error messages:

1. 'The Application "1Password.app" cannot be opened.'

2. '..cannot be opened because of a problem.
    Check with the developer to make sure .. works with
    this version of macOS. You may need to reinstall the
    application. Be sure to install any available updates for
    the application and macOS.

Click Report to see more detailed information and
    send a report to Apple.'

(Note: in message #2, the two dots appear in message text as written, and not "1Password.app")

As I say, v 8.8 works flawlessly (including in browsers) in another Standard Mac user account.

Any thoughts as to what I might try?

Thanks,

-Mark

1Password Version: 8.8
Extension Version: 2.3.5
OS Version: 10.15.7
Browser:_ Firefox 103.0.2/Safari
Referrer: forum-search:user accounts mac

Comments

• RTPeat
    RTPeat
    Community Member
    Options

Ironically having spent the past couple of days searching on here for similar problems, and raised a support request to 1Password which two days later hasn't been responded to, I'm glad we're not alone with this.

We're using 1Password for Families, and although I've been running version 8 for a while on my Mac, I'd not until this week upgraded the older Mac that my kids share. As with Mark it works fine for the account that installed version 8, but crashes on opening on any of the other accounts whether or not they are admins.

Having taken a look at the crash, it's failing to open part of the Electron framework or a dependency, as with Mark I've tried various things including repairing permissions and reinstalling. I'm currently considering just rolling that MacBook back to version 7 as having spent a lot of time encouraging the kids to use decent passwords they're now a bit stuck not able to use 1Password because of this problem.

• Jack.P_1P
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hi @RTPeat / @markbot:

Thanks for reaching out. I'll need to take a closer look at your specific email conversation @RTPeat and respond to you there, but we're actively investigating this.

@markbot:

Can you please share the crash report with us at support+forum@1password.com? Include your username markbot and a link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/132881/1password-8-not-working-in-some-mac-user-accounts#latest and I'll able to take a closer look. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot with a support ID like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here and I'll be able to locate your message.

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#14740
    ref: CDR-13725-481

• markbot
    markbot
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Jack,

I sent in a crash report as you requested.

The support ID from BitBot's return email is:

[#PTL-44678-119]

If there is anything else you need from me, please let me know.

Thanks again for your help.

markbot aka Mark

P.S. I included my handle, 'markbot', but it appears to have been autocorrected to 'market.'

• markbot
    markbot
    Community Member
    Options

CORRECTION:

Dear Jack,

I RE-SENT the crash report including my username (markbot -- not 'market') and I sent it from the Gmail address I use with 1Password support.

The support ID which came back this second time is:

[#DIX-57843-291]

Best regards,

Mark aka markbot

• Hi @markbot:

I was able to locate your message, so I'll take a look and get back to you there. Thanks!

Jack

ref: DIX-57843-291

• markbot
    markbot
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Jack,

(I sent you this message via email, but I'm duplicating it here.)

The fix (which involved opening Terminal.app and changing some permissions in Password.app from the command line) you emailed to me worked.

1Password is opening properly in all Mac accounts.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

-Mark aka markbot

P.S. I note that your fix came only a day after I submitted my support message. Special thanks for that. You might want to post the fix here, until such time as the app itself can be updated to resolve the issue.

• Appreciate the update here, @markbot! On behalf of Jack, you're very welcome. 😊

You know where to find us if you have any questions in the future. 👍🏻

• fl6nders
    fl6nders
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Could you please share the solution here?
    I'm facing the same problem.

Thanks,
    Hans

• Hi @fl6nders:

To verify that this is the specific issue you're experiencing, can you please share the crash report with us at support+forum@1password.com? Include your username fl6nders and a link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/132881/1password-8-not-working-in-some-mac-user-accounts#latest and I'll able to take a closer look. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot with a support ID like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here and I'll be able to locate your message.

Jack

• fl6nders
    fl6nders
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I received following support ID: [#QKY-28757-457] .

• FragileBits
    FragileBits
    Community Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

Same issue for two of my family members on their shared iMac.

Support ID #WAL-23788-774 refers

• lasllcap
    lasllcap
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem. My account works just swell , but my wife’s account (same machine [catalina 10.15.7] ) no joy there.

Crash report:
    Process: 1Password [3586]
    Path: /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password
    Identifier: 1Password
    Version: 8.9.4 (8.9.4.125339)
    Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
    Parent Process: ??? [1]
    Responsible: 1Password [3586]
    User ID: 503

Date/Time: 2022-09-12 09:51:13.072 -0600
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.15.7 (19H2026)
    Report Version: 12
    Anonymous UUID: 74C840C2-DA4A-CD41-70BC-09979F810689

Time Awake Since Boot: 1200 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
    Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
    Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason: DYLD, [0x1] Library missing

Application Specific Information:
    dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
    Library not loaded: @rpath/libffmpeg.dylib
    Referenced from: /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Frameworks/Electron Framework.framework/Versions/A/Electron Framework
    Reason: image not found

Roger

• Hi @fl6nders:

My colleague Alvin has recently replied to you, can you please continue the conversation there?

ref: QKY-28757-457

@FragileBits:

I was able to locate your conversation, so we'll be in touch soon.

ref: WAL-23788-774

@lasllcap:

Can you please share the crash report with us? Include it as an attachment to an email addressed to support+forum@1password.com, and include your username: lasllcap. After emailing in, you'll receive a support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to make sure your message has gotten to the right place. Thanks!

Jack

• FragileBits
    FragileBits
    Community Member
    Options

When might I expect to hear back with a solution, please?

It's been over 24 hours since I submitted the crash report and confirmed the support reference here.

My elderly father, who followed my recommendation to rely on 1Password and who followed the prompt in version 7 to upgrade to 8, remains unable to access the program. He is, understandably, feeling very confused, upset and frustrated.

• Hi @FragileBits:

I'll follow up shortly to your email. Thanks for your patience on this!

Jack

ref: WAL-23788-774

• FragileBits
    FragileBits
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @Jack.P_1P :)

• @FragileBits

Thanks again for your patience. I'm happy that Jack was able to help over email. 😊

• bruceg11
    bruceg11
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P Hello and hope this message finds you doing well. Long time 1Password Family user here and recently upgraded from 1Password 7 to version 8 and oh boy do I regret it. I have this same issue as listed here where one user on my iMac works with 1Password and my wife's user doesn't work. It sounds like there is a solution available so I'm genuinely curious why you just wouldn't post the solution here but instead make each individual user open a new ticket?

• andrew.l_1P
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi @bruceg11,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing something similar. We generally want to confirm what the issue is before making suggestions, lest we send anyone down the wrong path. That said, what some users in this thread have experienced has since been addressed in our nightly build. If you're open to trying that, you can change your release channel in 1Password 8's preferences:

If you have automatic updates turned on, you'll be updated to the new version within 24 hours of making this change. Alternatively, or if the issue persists, you can also send a crash report to support+forum@1password.com and we can take a closer look.

Let me know and we can figure out our next steps from there. 🙂

ref: dev/core/core#14740

• markbot
    markbot
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry to say this problem recurs with each update. I'm in my third go-round.

This is the fix -- it still works -- given by the 1Password Support Community:

Open Terminal.app from an administrative account, and enter the following commands.

cd /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Frameworks/Electron\ Framework.framework
    sudo chmod -h 755 ./Electron\ Framework ./Helpers ./Libraries ./Resources
    cd Versions
    sudo chmod -h 755 ./Current

Although I'm grateful for the fix, it is most perplexing why the issue persists.

• @markbot

Can I ask what release channel you're using? (Settings > Advanced > Release channel). The fix for this updater issue was included in a Nightly build a little while ago.

• markbot
    markbot
    Community Member
    Options

Production

• @markbot

Thank you for the reply. We're currently testing a fix for this in the latest beta version (8.9.11-1) of 1Password:

* We’ve fixed an issue where 1Password could crash when opened if the app was updated by a different user account.

If testing goes well in the beta then we hope to include the fix in a future update to the production version as soon as possible. 🙂

-Dave

• markbot
    markbot
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Dave_1P.

There is a brief mention of the Beta and Nightlies channels in Settings.

I'm not sure I have the wherewithal to be a Beta-person. Is there any advantage to switching to Nightly?

• @markbot

There isn't really anything more you have to do as a user to try the Beta or Nightly versions of 1Password. However, it's worth bearing in mind the following:

• Beta versions of 1Password might have bugs, and may have features which don't work as expected, or which are withdrawn.
    • Nightly versions of 1Password are the "leading edge" version, and are built every night. They represent the current state of 1Password's code and are generally not something I'd recommend most customers use since they won't have been through the same level of testing as the Production or Beta versions.

My advice would be that if you can hold on for a new update to the normal stable Production version, that's easier. However, if you'd like this fix earlier, I can help you temporarily switch to the Beta to get the fix. It's not a difficult process, but involves a few steps, so let me know what you'd like to do. :)

• markbot
    markbot
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the explanation and offer GreyM1P, but I'll follow your advice and just stay with the Production version.

• Sounds good, @markbot! On behalf of Grey you're very welcome. Hopefully we'll see a fix for this behaviour make it to the production builds soon. If you're keen to know when that is, I recommend checking out our release notes: 1Password Releases

Let us know if we can help with anything in the meantime. 🙂

• markbot
    markbot
    Community Member
    Options

"Behaviour?"

Andrew, I think your "Canada" is showing.

Thanks for the link to the release notes, will check out.

P.S. You could potentially save a lot of toner and pencil lead (if not the planet) if you change your "behavior." :-)

• Caught red handed! 🇨🇦😆

• markbot
    markbot
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Folks,

Hate to say this, but the problem is back with 8.9.12.

No biggie, the terminal fix you gave me still corrects the issue:

Open Terminal.app from an administrative account, and enter the following commands.

cd /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Frameworks/Electron\ Framework.framework
    sudo chmod -h 755 ./Electron\ Framework ./Helpers ./Libraries ./Resources
    cd Versions
    sudo chmod -h 755 ./Current

The good news is that everything else is working nicely. :-)

-markbot

P.S. I like Canada. Been to New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta & BC. As long as your hockey teams lose to the Boston Bruins, I'm good. Et je parle!

This discussion has been closed.