Quick Access: How it works.

Options
Andrew42
Andrew42
Community Member

What I have read on the 1P8 site is as follows:

Quote: When you open Quick Access, you’ll see suggestions relevant to the apps you have open and the items you use most frequently. Unquote.

That is not my experience at all. When I am on a website that requires me to enter details in order to be admitted and I activate Quick Access which I can only do with CTRL-Shift-Space, what I get is a screen with a search bar which says “Search 1Password” and underneath are Instructions for the Hot Key strokes options for accessing “Quick Access” and “Keyboard Short Cuts”. No suggestions at all for the apps I have open. No items that I most frequently use. If I enter anything into the search bar, It brings up the record in my data but I cannot do anything with it. If I click the 1P icon, it simply says “Our family” and nothing else.

Clearly I do not understand how Quick Access works in 1P8 on Windows and how to get it to fill in my credentials when I’m on a website that requires me to log in. I’ve read what I can find without success. Perhaps someone can enlighten me

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @Andrew42, thanks for reaching out. Quick Access works by detecting relevant desktop applications opened on your computer. However, this doesn't apply to websites in your web browser.

To receive auto-fill suggestions in your web browser, you can install 1Password for your browser: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

Once you've got that installed, I recommend checking out this guide: Save and fill passwords in your browser

Let me know if that helps or if you have any further questions!

Ali

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @AliHP I already have 1P installed on my browser although when I clicked your link it said that I did not have it installed so I clicked for the Windows version which asked if if I wanted to remove it as it was already installed: go figure?
    1P in the browser has a very annoying habit of opening with Suggestions. How do I stop that? I want to be able to open it either in Log-Ins or maybe favorites. Suggestions does nothing for me at all.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

@AliHP let me more specific. I was in an App, HP Smart to be precise. For some reason it wanted me to log in again: I suspect I had deleted some cookie or other. Anyway the log in page is in the App and there is no way to click on the 1P icon in the browser as it isn't visible. I opened quick access using the hot keys. The search bar had the 1P icon at the end. I pressed that and it simply said Our Family or something similar. I typed HP into the search, selected HP Smart and got an error message "Session Expired". All I wanted was it to enter my login details. It did not. I'm sure as must be doing something wrong because 1P8 surely cannot be as bad as I am finding it. To solve that immediate problem, I backed out of everything until I was on my desktop and the used the 1P icon in my system tray to open and fill HP Smart. That work around should not be necessary

• Hello @Andrew42,

Thanks for getting back to us, we're happy to assist further.

If you still don't see the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar, that guide can help.

1P in the browser has a very annoying habit of opening with Suggestions. How do I stop that?

When opening 1Password in the browser there is an option above the left pane to change what is presented:

I was in an App, HP Smart to be precise.

Filling apps with 1Password works differently than it does when filling credentials in a browser. In this situation, you can use Quick Access to fill in apps by copying and pasting your username/password in to the app.

Alternatively, you once you've located a Login item in Quick Access you'd like to fill in an app, you can use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + O to open the item in a new window and drag and drop the credentials to the appropriate fields

The search bar had the 1P icon at the end. I pressed that and it simply said Our Family or something similar.

The icon to the right of the search bar in Quick Access is to select different accounts you are signed in to, or Collections you have created. If you are only signed in to one account (your family account) and not created a collection, the account will be the only item listed.

Please let us know if this information helps, but if you need further assistance, let us know and we'll be here for you!

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @ag-mike-d. I have found and changed the opening option to favorites. Better: I now know how to change it again if I find Favorites not what I'd like to see.

Re: your second point: noted. I will next try that when the opportunity occurs.

Thank you again.

• Hey @Andrew42, on behalf of my colleague Mike, you're most welcome!

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with 😄

This discussion has been closed.