Why does the 1Password app window pop up every time when switching from another app to Safari app?

kurtopa
kurtopa
Community Member

The 1Password desktop app window pops up every time I switch operation from any other app (mail, excel, powerpoint, etc.) to the Safari app. This occurs even if the Safari app has previously been open and I switch to it where the active Safari tab is for a non-login credential site. If I am in Safari and open a new tab and go to a site that doesn't have login-credentials, the 1Password desktop app window also pops up. For example, opening a new Safari tab and going to cdc.com, the 1Password desktop app window will pop up. Since this 1Password window is nearly full screen size, I find it aggravating to constantly having it pop and then I have to close it since serves no purpose. The 1Password window pops up showing the same information that it did when I last used it, or at the login screen if it needs new login after session timeout.

I can understand why the desktop app window would pop up when going to login credential, in order to allow access to my login credentials, but I don't understand why its constantly popping up. Can this continual window pop up be disabled? Especially since I have the 1Password for Safari installed, which accesses my login credentials directly in the Safari app, it seems like I should never need for the 1Password desktop app window to open on its own; I should only have to open it when I want.

I am a new user, so still finding my way around. I could not find any answers to my question in this forum, so I'm asking it here.

Configuration info that may be of use:
1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.9.4
Mac OS: Version 10.15.7
Safari Version: 15.6.1

Thanks

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: Can't find - "how to find" link info doesn't help
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:window opens every time switch to Safari

Comments

• Hello @kurtopa! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that the 1Password for Mac app is opening randomly when you're using Safari. Restarting the Mac has helped other users resolve this issue, can you give that a try as well?

Let me know if you still see the issue after a restart and we can dig deeper. 🙂

• kurtopa
    kurtopa
    Community Member

Hi Dave,

Thanks, a restart has seemed to solve the issue.

One last question for you... In experimenting to understand the issue, I noticed that it seems that in order to use 1Password for login credentials on websites, I don't need to have both the 1Password MAC app and the 1Password extension in Safari operating. I previously had been launching the 1Password MAC app, so that the 1Password icon was in the the Dock, as well as the active 1Password extension in Safari. In order to diagnose the issue that I was having, I quit the 1Password MAC app to see if that was a way to keep the window from popping up as I described previously. It was then that I realized that it seems I can access my daily 1Password activity via just the 1Password extension in Safari.

So the question is, is that the way your team intends for users to use 1Password; i.e. use the extension in Safari for most activity and only need to open the MAC app for any activity that the extension doesn't support? Since the extension for Safari is an extension, I figured that in order to use the extension, I would need to have the Mac App running to operate as a "base" for the extension. Do you know of any documentation that explains how the two compared for the user; like a table of functions which shows what can be done with each? (I am still a new user).

Thanks

• Glad to hear it, @kurtopa! On behalf of Dave, you're very welcome. 🙂

Regarding your question, I can include some resources that highlight some of the key features of the browser extensions and the 1Password 8 Mac app:

You're absolutely correct that there are many features they both share and if you're working primarily in your browser, the browser extension is likely to meet most of your needs. The biggest benefit of the desktop app is being able to take these features beyond the browser with things like Quick Access and Universal Autofill. We generally recommend having both so all your use cases are covered, but I do encourage you to keep exploring and see what works best for you!

If you have any questions along the way, we'll be here to help. 👍🏻

• kurtopa
    kurtopa
    Community Member

Thanks Andrew. That answers my question.

• Happy to help! 😊

This discussion has been closed.