Quality of life issues with 1Password 8

EarthAura
EarthAura
Community Member
edited October 2022 in Mac

Hi,

As a long-time user of 1Password, I wanted to report on QoL issues I have with 1Password 8 (that's not to say 8 doesn't bring improvements as well).

1. 1Password Quick Access behaves unintuitively:
    • I feel Cmd+C should copy the currently selected item, not have different shortcuts (hard to memorize/internalize)
    • Limited number of fields, I want to be able to access more than just username/password
    • The amount of time QA remembers the last entry always seem to be off from what I'd expect
      • This is exacerbated by the two behaviors: 1) You can start typing into QA immediately, 2) An item is selected => can't type
        • A simple improvement would be that typing dismisses the selected item and start searching from scratch
        • But.. that's used also for jumping to certain items (which doesn't seem all that useful with the number of items available)
  2. Open Item in New Window desperately needs the following fixes:
    • A button to edit / open it up in 1Password main
    • Pressing ESC dismisses the window without focusing 1Password main (back to previous app)
  3. Issue 2 is not remedied by opening in 1Password main
    • This is because keyboard focus does not change, i.e. if item list is focused, up/down will change item, if vault is focused, up/down will move between vaults, etc
    • At worst, item fields are 15 tab-presses away (possibly more)
  4. Biometric events keep waking up/vibrating/making a sound on my Apple Watch whilst in sleep mode
    • This applies to anything from unlocking 1Password, SSH key prompts, etc.
  5. Vaults in 1Password browser extension behave unexpectedly
    • If I view a different vault in 1Password main, saving a new item from 1Password browser will go into that vault, ignoring my "default" preference (note that this happens even when All Accounts is selected in 1Password main)
    • 1Password extension also doesn't show or respect my collections configured in 1Password main -- searches will include results from all vaults
    • These two behaviors are proof that the behavior is not correct, in one case it utilizes the currently focused vault in main, in another it doesn't care

In summary, QA behavior is giving me pain and hiding details, open in new window does not help remedy QA pains as it's hiding tools and it can't be closed without stealing focus. Where the focus lands in general is sometimes unexpected (and not convenient for keyboard navigation), and 1Password is not playing nice with Apple Watch sleep mode.

Lastly, issue 5 is not something I run into often which does make the issue all the more dangerous because I could be saving into a shared vault, unbeknownst to me.

In general performance often feels better in 1P8 vs 1P7 and I love the new SSH agent feature and CLI improvements. But I also miss native (vs webapp) quite a bit. I do still feel the behavior of 1P7 was much more polished and more often did "what I would expect" (intuitively as a Mac user, not learned behavior).

1Password Version: 8.9.7
Extension Version: 2.3.8
OS Version: macOS 12.6
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hi @EarthAura, thanks so much for your kind words and detailed feedback here, apologies for the late reply. I'll do my best to tackle things in the order presented. 🙂

1. To action the currently selected option in an item's submenu in Quick Access, you can press return on your keyboard. The shortcuts listed there can also be used without entering this submenu!

We have an open feature request to bring more fields to Quick Access, I can certainly understand how that would be useful and will add a vote on your behalf.

From some testing, Quick Access hangs onto the last text entered for about 30 seconds, but if you're noticing scenarios where that isn't the case, I'd be happy to get more details so we can investigate further.

Likewise, I've shared your feedback about how Quick Access responds to users typing non-shortcut keys, I also suspect the keys to jump to menu items isn't widely used. In the meantime, pressing tab or esc from that submenu will get you back to the input line so you can start a new search.

2. I'd like to see both of these implemented as well! Internal tracking is ongoing so I'll add your voice and hope to have good news to share in the future. 👍🏻

3. Let me know if I've misunderstood this one, but is the ultimate goal to be able to edit an item using the keyboard after it's been opened from Quick Access? If so, I recommend trying the command + E shortcut in the main 1Password app after the particular item has been opened.

4. To confirm, is this via the 1Password Apple Watch app? We updated this recently so I'd start by making sure yours is up to date and set up to your preferences: Use 1Password on your Apple Watch

Let me know if the issue persists and we can do some additional troubleshooting.

5. Interesting observations here, I appreciate the effort you've put into testing these and sharing the details. When integration between the app and browser extension is enabled, creating new items in the browser extension via the blue + New Item button routes you to the app where a default vault can't currently be selected and thus places this new item in the currently open or last used vault. I recommend creating new items by using the inline menus instead. This could be the Save in 1Password option or clicking the suggested generated passwords. Both will trigger a new window where you can edit your details before saving.

Collections have not yet made it into the 1Password browser extension, but you can adjust which accounts and vaults appear by opening the browser extension Settings > Accounts & Vaults on the left side and unchecking the vaults you wouldn't like included.

I can see how together these could make for an inconsistent experience and I'll bring this up internally as well. I can't share any specifics at the moment, but I hope we can both look forward to more flexibility in choosing a default vault on more 1Password platforms.

Let me know how these workarounds go, or if you have any questions along the way. Thanks again for all your valuable feedback, I'm looking forward to your reply! 😊

ref: IDEA-I-969
    ref: IDEA-I-2144
    ref: IDEA-I-610
    ref: IDEA-I-1847
    ref: IDEA-I-1097

• EarthAura
    EarthAura
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

Hi @andrew.l_1P, thanks for your reply (and apologies for the delay in replying to you).

1. Thanks for forwarding the feedback and taking the time to provide solutions. Regarding the 30 second timeout, I don't think I've observed anything outside this range, I think my observation is that when I'm in the flow, the behavior doesn't work for me. Either the input is gone, or it's still there blocking my search for the next thing (my fingers move before my eyes can see). It's never what I expect (even though it works as designed).
    2. Awesome!
    3. No, that wasn't the goal I was trying to describe. Try this 1) Click on a vault in the sidebar of 1Password main app 2) Open quick access and on any item, select "Open in 1Password" 3) Press up/down in 1Password and notice that the focus is still on the vaults -- I would expect focus to move to e.g. "Username" in the item that was opened, instead it's 15 tab presses away.
    4. No, not the app. This is regarding biometric unlock of 1Password (or allow SSH), meaning unlock that can be done either via Touch ID on MacBook or button press on Apple Watch. In recent versions of 1Password this occasionally behaves as it should -- there is no prompt while Apple Watch is in sleep mode -- but then it breaks again and the Apple Watch is awoken on every 1Password unlock prompt. Sometimes 1Password is in such a state that it's only considering Watch unlock even when it's in sleep mode, in this case it becomes totally impossible to unlock 1Password without first locking the MacBook and then unlocking it (Mac) with password
    5. I'll keep the workaround in mind, thanks
  • andrew.l_1P
    edited December 2022

Hi @EarthAura! Down to 10 days this time, we're making progress. 😄

Thanks for clarifying, I see your point about how Quick Access hangs on to previous searches and will log a feature request to be able to customize this.

Likewise with where exactly the app focuses after being opened from Quick Access. It seems the current behaviour is that focus remains where it last was (be that the sections in the left side menu, the list of items, or item details) if the app was open already, and focuses the search bar if it wasn't already open, in case that helps predictability in the meantime.

If you're open to sharing, I'd be interested to know more about your workflow for both of these actions. For example, are you using the additional item menu within Quick Access to log in to websites? Are you opening the main app via Quick Access and then tabbing to copy a specific field?

Regarding the Apple Watch behaviour you're seeing, thanks for the additional details. Could I confirm that this only happens when the watch is in sleep mode? Either way, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Please attach it to an email addressed to support+forum@1password.com and include a link to this thread so I can connect it to our conversation. Hopefully a look under the hood will give us a better idea what's happening. Ideally the report is generated immediately after reproducing the behaviour.

Lastly, (a benefit of our reply pace perhaps) default vaults have made it to 1Password 8! You can find the option in the app's settings:

Your earlier observations about creating new items via the browser extension button vs. the inline option still apply, but selecting the same target vault in both the app and browser extension settings should at least unify the results.

Let me know how that goes if you try it out, looking forward to investigating further with you!

This discussion has been closed.