Auto-updated to beta from production download post-install

Options
rdela
rdela
Community Member

As mentioned in How to switch back from Beta to Non-Beta?

I was auto-updated to 1Password for Mac 8.9.7-7.BETA (80907007) from the production download post-install just now. No idea why, unless that happens to all Apple Silicon machines currently?

Thought I would open a new discussion as well for visibility.

1Password Version: 8.9.4 (downloaded by installer)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.6 (21G115)
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hey there @rdela

Double-check that the "Release channel" setting in Preferenes > Advanced is showing "Production". If it is, then we know that 1Password didn't request a beta update, so it might be the case of where 1Password might have previously downloaded a beta update but hadn't installed it yet.

Here's what to do:

1. Fully quit 1Password by right-clicking its icon in the menu bar and choosing Quit.
    2. In Finder, click the Go menu > "Go to Folder..." and paste in the following, then press Enter:

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/Library/Application Support/1Password/Update

The Update folder will open, like this:

1. Drag the Downloads folder to the Trash.
    2. Restart your Mac.
    3. Reinstall the Production version using the installer from our website: https://downloads.1password.com/mac/1Password.zip

Give that a try and let me know how you get on. I'll be here if you need further help.

— Grey

• rdela
    rdela
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

Thanks for responding @GreyM1P

volcom45 wrote in the linked post:

I should clarify I installed from the non-beta but apparently turned on "beta channel" in advanced for updates.

I wonder if the same issue that happened to me didn't happen there, where the production download decided to update to the beta without input from volcom45. I had to, as you wrote there:

[switch] the release channel in the Advanced tab of Preferences […] to change from Beta to Production.

So if I follow your logic that means it's unlikely:

1Password might have previously downloaded a beta update but hadn't installed it yet

Very early on in the 1P 8 cycle I tried the app, which barely functioned then, and removed it, on a different machine. Then I download the production version over a year later, again on a different machine, after being hounded in 1P 7 on practically every screen on what felt like a daily basis.

If this is what happens to people like me I think the officially recommended remediation described above, which I had to be savvy enough to know how to describe and to go here and post it to even get, puts too much of the effort on my side of the equation. I don't recall any indication in the auto-updater it was going to switch release channels from production to beta.

I am willing to try this, but I want to make sure this is worth my time. Are you implying I will not get migrated to production even though I have changed the release channel in the Advanced tab of Preferences from Beta to Production?

• @rdela

Are you implying I will not get migrated to production even though I have changed the release channel in the Advanced tab of Preferences from Beta to Production?

Not right away, no. Each time 1Password checks for updates, it'll look to see if there is a version which:

• is both newer than the currently installed version, and
    • is in the channel set by the "Release channel" setting in Preferences > Advanced.

So, for example, if you were running 8.9.7 Beta and the release channel was set to Production, 1Password would never install 8.9.6 Production, because that breaks the first rule.

Similarly, if the release channel is set to Production, you would never be updated from 8.9.5 Production to 8.9.6 Beta, because that breaks the second rule.

Because Beta releases will almost always have a higher version number than Production releases, there might be a wait until the current Production release "overtakes" the Beta release you have installed (see the first rule above).

It's tricky to say what's happened specifically in your case, but if you'd used Migration Assistant (or something like it) to move everything wholesale from one Mac to the other, the preference file which tells 1Password which channel to use would have transferred to the other Mac, potentially leading to this situation.

The easiest solution to this problem is to change channel from Beta to Production and then wait. Then, when a newer Production version is available, 1Password will jump to using that instead. Meanwhile, it would stop receiving beta updates. That's the method we describe here:

To stop using the beta:

In Preferences > Advanced, set “Release channel” to Production. You’ll be updated to the next stable release when it’s available.

— from the article, Use 1Password beta releases — To stop using the beta, from the 1Password Support website

If you want to force the channel change now, you can do, and I can provide instructions on how to do that, but if you are able to wait, I'd strongly recommend that instead.

This discussion has been closed.