I've followed all the steps, but 1P8 won't work in IOS Safari

Options
euphonius
euphonius
Community Member

I've upgraded to 1P8 from 1P7 on my iPhone, and followed all the steps to set up. Yet when I tap the username or password field to sign into a website, I get a black popup reading "Press the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar to unlock". There is no 1Password icon in the toolbar, but there is a puzzle piece icon. I tap the puzzle piece and a popup appears with Manage Extensions, 1Password, Privacy Report, etc. If I tap 1Password, 1Password demands my password. If I enter that, nothing happens. I'm right back to the website login page with the floating black popup saying "Press the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar to unlock."

What am I doing wrong?

1Password Version: 8.9.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:can't make 1password 8 work in ios

Comments

• tscolari
    tscolari
    Community Member
    Options

To be honest 1p8 doesn’t even work in the auto fill of this (their own) community website 🤷‍♂️
    I suggest downgrading if you can

• @euphonius!

I'm sorry that 1Password for Safari isn't working on your iPhone. Can you please try the following steps:

1. Fully close Safari on iOS.
    2. Fully close 1Password on iOS.
    3. Open and unlock the main 1Password app from your home screen.
    4. Open Safari and go to any webpage.
    5. Tap on the AA icon in the address bar.
    6. Tap on 1Password in the menu.
    7. Follow the prompt to unlock 1Password for Safari with your account password.

Does this resolve the issue or do you see the same message?

@tscolari

I've just tested filling a username/password into 1Password.community in Safari on my iPhone and it looks like the filling is working properly on my end. Can you try to fill your login again? If that still doesn't work then can you tell me what happens when you try to fill the login using 1Password for Safari?

Do you see any error messages?

-Dave

• euphonius
    euphonius
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

Extremely frustrating compared to 1P7. Every time I tap on a username or password field I get the dreaded black banner saying to press on the 1Password icon in the browser's toolbar to unlock. Doing this summons a big ugly pop-up with Manage Extensions, 1Password and other choices. Tapping 1Password pops up an Enter Password pop-up (with no option to use my thumbprint), and entering the password sends me right back where I started, with nothing populating the empty username and password fields.

Extremely vexing.

• euphonius
    euphonius
    Community Member
    Options

How do I downgrade back to 1P7??

• tscolari
    tscolari
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P im sorry but I uninstalled the version 8 in favour of the version 7 after too much frustration.
    But what happened to me was I would select the login from 1pw8 safari extension but no fields would get filled - I had to copy paste (from the actual app, because I couldn’t from the extension) to login.

• tscolari
    tscolari
    Community Member
    Options

@euphonius if you had 1pw7, it’s still in you App Store -> purchases list, you can reinstall from there

• euphonius
    euphonius
    Community Member
    Options

@tscolari thank you very much for guidance on reinstalling 1P7. I never would have thought of searching from among purchased apps, but there it was, purchased back in 2013, and the download worked! 1P8 clearly isn't ready for broad release.

• ag_tommy
    edited October 2022
    Options

@tscolari

Did you grant 1Password access to all sites? I'd hazard a guess you may have selected no. It's fairly common and often presents itself as you describe. Head over to iOS > Settings > Safari > Extensions > 1Password and make sure it is enabled and that you've granted access to all sites.

• tscolari
    tscolari
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

@ag_tommy i can’t be sure to be honest.
    I think I did, or maybe I have access to x amount of time and it expired, but can’t verify since I removed the version 8.
    Overall, the whole usability drawn back was more than enough to send me back to certain 7.

• mclong
    mclong
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

I’ve enabled all that and the experience is sub-par compared with v7.

Seriously, bring back Face ID for 1Password in safari AND the auto suggestions in the bar above the keyboard! The workflow now is rubbish..have to go out back of safari into the main app which I CAN face-ID into the get my password and paste it into safari… it’s a joke and so frustrating. FIX IT now!

Why would you remove commonly used features that worked in the old version, it’s beyond me.

• @tscolari

If you do update to 1Password 8 again in the future and if you run into the same issue then please let us know and we can help further. 🙂

@mclong

Seriously, bring back Face ID for 1Password in safari

We're working on it. We’ve temporarily disabled Touch ID and Face ID for the 1Password for Safari extension due to changes in iOS 16. We understand the importance of biometrics, with the security and convenience it offers. iOS 16.1 is bringing some changes that we believe will enable us to bring back biometric unlock to 1Password for Safari and we're actively working to take advantage of those changes.

AND the auto suggestions in the bar above the keyboard

The suggestions above the keyboard are powered by iOS Password AutoFill and should be working with 1Password 8 on your iPhone/iPad. Can you make sure that you've enabled Password AutoFill for 1Password 8? Follow these steps:

1. On the Home screen, tap Settings.
    2. Tap Passwords > AutoFill Passwords.
    3. Turn on AutoFill Passwords.
    4. Select 1Password.

Then try to fill your login again using this guide: Use 1Password to fill and save on your iPhone and iPad

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.