Feature Request: Add drag and drop file attachments

Options
Mr. K.
Mr. K.
Community Member
edited May 2023 in Mac

Am I doing something wrong? I'm trying to drag and drop attachments onto items, but it does not work. Instead I have to click the + add more button and go to Attach a File. That's a lot more time than dragging and dropping.

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.6
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:drag and drop

Comments

• Hello @Mr. K. 👋

1Password 8 currently doesn't support adding files to an item using drag and drop. We do have an internal tracking item for this feature and I've added your vote there to let the product team know that this is something that you'd like to see.

In the meantime, as you mentioned, you can add a file by selecting Attach a File from the menu. 🙂

-Dave

ref: IDEA-I-1406

• shemphill
    shemphill
    Community Member
    Options

You can certainly add my vote as well! I always used drag and drop with emails into 1P and now have to save the email before I can upload it to 1P as an attachment. THIS IS TERRIBLE! PLEASE bring back drag and drop!

• @shemphill

Thank you for the feedback. I've added your vote as well. 🙂

-Dave

ref: IDEA-I-1406

• wills11
    wills11
    Community Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

Any update? I really, really, really miss this—now to add any kind of file from, say, DEVONthink, I have to export it, then import it—what a drag (or lack thereof)!

It doesn't make sense to "upgrade" an app by removing functionality.

Thanks!

Wm

PS: also described as an "open feature request" here, with no update:

https://1password.community/discussion/135155/i-am-not-able-to-drop-files-into-1password-entries-attachment-mgmt-seems-broken

• Dave_1P
    Options

@wills11

Thank you for following up. I don't have any updates to share at the moment about this feature request but I've let the product team know that you're still hoping to see the feature added to 1Password 8 in the future.

-Dave

ref: PB-32916771

• shemphill
    shemphill
    Community Member
    Options

PLEASE bring this back! This is the biggest downgrade ever for 1P. I just added a new software license and cannot drag and drop the supporting emails into the entry. I am NOT going to save the email somewhere just to be able to point to it when I "Add a file" to an entry. This is the most confounding, frustrating, disappointing thing that 1P8 doesn't do. I don't really understand taking away features when upgrading an app. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring this back sooner rather than later!

• Dave_1P
    Options

@shemphill

Thank you again for the feedback, I've passed all of your comments along to the product team. In the meantime, you can add software license details as custom fields: Customize your 1Password items

-Dave

• shemphill
    shemphill
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I realize that, but I always keep the emails from the purchase with my licenses. And that process is now MUCH more difficult and I am not willing to do all those extra steps. It was PERFECT before...

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

Drag and Drop is a must on macOS and almost every application supports it like 1PW did in the past. It's another big usability regression in 1PW 8 like the barely usable search UI with the annoying relevance filtering and extra keyboard press to get all results or the missing item counts in the sidebar.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@shemphill and @viswiz

Thank you again for the feedback and for voicing how important drag and dropping file attachments is to you both. Our product team will take your requests into consideration as they're planning updates to 1Password in the future.

-Dave

ref: PB-33159182

• billj
    billj
    Community Member
    Options

I would also like to be able to drag-and-drop attachments in 1Password 8 for Mac. Wasn’t this a feature in 1Password 7?

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

@billj yes, it was a feature of 1Password7 and was ignored like many other typical macOS features then they build 1Password8.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@billj

Thank you for adding your voice. This was indeed a feature in 1Password 7 and I've passed your request to add it to 1Password 8 along to the Product team.

For now, you can add attachments by editing an item, clicking add more and then clicking Attach a File. 🙂

-Dave

ref: 33475240

• r3r344r4
    r3r344r4
    Community Member
    Options

In 1P7, I heavily used the ability to drag/drop files onto items as a way of attaching them. This doesn't seem to be possible in 1P8 anymore.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser:_ Not Provided

• Dave_1P
    Options

@r3r344r4

Thank you for the request that drag and drop be included in 1Password 8! I've passed your comments along to the product team. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-33715594

This discussion has been closed.