how to change system password in 1password 8

Options
ShotGun4me
ShotGun4me
Community Member

While there may be great thing about 1Password 8, I wish I had stayed with 7. I can't figure out how to change my system password with 8 installed. One of the reasons I upgraded was for more security and to leave access to 1PW7 behind.

Usually I can find video on YouTube for something like this, but NOPE.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:how to change password in 1password 8

Comments

• Hello @ShotGun4me! 👋

Can you clarify what you mean when you say "system password"? If you mean your account password (the password used to protect your 1Password data) then you can change it by following the steps in this guide: How to change your 1Password account password

Let me know if I misunderstood. 🙂

-Dave

• ShotGun4me
    ShotGun4me
    Community Member
    Options

I've finally solved the change password problem. Apparently the ONLY way to access that screen is to sign in with 1password.com in order to get the "my" name to appear on the right side of the screen. I don't think it's totally clear that that's the only way to get the my name to appear on the upper right side of the screen.

Another question as long as I'm here. When I got to that screen, a box pops up saying "Would you like to save this password in your iCloud Keychain to Autofill on all your devices. Enter the username for this account to finish saving your password and allow Safari to Autofill.

I always check "Not Now" as I'm not sure what this means. If I did check it, would I automatically open 1Password? What if someone else clicked on the 1Password icon, would they see all my passwords?

Re above, what I meant by system password is the password I use to sign into to 1Password 8. Thanks for getting back to me. It was very important to me to change my 1PW PW as I've had a few things happen that made me worried that my passwords were not secure.

• @ShotGun4me

I'm sorry for the confusion, you're correct that you need to open 1Password.com in your browser in order to change your account password and I'm happy to hear that you were able to do so.

When I got to that screen, a box pops up saying "Would you like to save this password in your iCloud Keychain to Autofill on all your devices. Enter the username for this account to finish saving your password and allow Safari to Autofill.

It sounds like you have the built-in password manager enabled in Safari on your Mac. I recommend that you disable it by following these steps:

1. Open Safari.
    2. Click on Safari next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click on Preferences.
    4. Click the AutoFill icon.
    5. Turn off all the AutoFill web forms settings:
    • "Using info from my contacts"
    • "User names and passwords"
    • "Credit cards"
    • "Other forms"

Once the built-in password manager is disabled make sure that 1Password for Safari is installed: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/1password-for-safari/id1569813296?mt=12

I always check "Not Now" as I'm not sure what this means. If I did check it, would I automatically open 1Password? What if someone else clicked on the 1Password icon, would they see all my passwords?

By following the steps above you'll disable the built-in password manager so that you no longer see the message. No one is able to access your 1Password items without both your account password and Secret Key.

Let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

-Dave

• ShotGun4me
    ShotGun4me
    Community Member
    Options

I have now loaded the 1PW8 App for Safari. In my tray I see the logo for 1Password logo and right next to it 1Password for Safari. Which one of these logos should I use to open 1PW8?

• @ShotGun4me

Thank you for the reply. By "tray" do you mean the Dock at the bottom of your Mac's screen? If you do then you'll want to use the icon labeled "1Password" and not "1Password for Safari". You can remove "1Password for Safari" from the Dock by right-clicking on the icon, clicking "Options", making sure that "Keep in Dock" is not checked, and then clicking Quit:

Let me know if that doesn't work. 🙂

-Dave

• ShotGun4me
    ShotGun4me
    Community Member
    Options

BIG TROUBLE with 1Password 8!

I've been running 1PW8 for few days now and having very mixed results with 20 character passwords. Yesterday I signed in to one of my financial site with my new 20 character password, only to be denied entry. I had to jump through the hoops and change my password on all of them. Today, it's the same thing in that the sites don't recognize my new 20 character passwords.

• ShotGun4me
    ShotGun4me
    Community Member
    Options

Is there any advantage to having the 1PW8 app displayed on my Dock?

• @ShotGun4me

I'm sorry to hear that your passwords are being rejected. Did you change your passwords recently and, when you changed them, did you update the new password both inside of 1Password and on the website in question?

The best way to change passwords for existing logins is to use 1Password in the browser: Use the password generator to change and strengthen your passwords

Is there any advantage to having the 1PW8 app displayed on my Dock?

It's entirely up to you and depends on whether you like to launch 1Password from the Dock. You can also open 1Password from the menubar from the top of your screen and, if you prefer doing that, you can remove 1Password from the Dock.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.