Feature Request - Mask email with Gmail?

Options
aweb
aweb
Community Member

Hi guys,

Would it be possible to build a 'mask email' feature like Apple has, for my existing Gmail email address?

Something where the app/extension makes the randomised changes to the email address so that it still works, but is unique?
I understand you can manually add "." etc into an address to achieve this; but it would be a good feature to automate..?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• SEMats
    SEMats
    Community Member
    Options

What Apple does is adding extra fully functional email addresses, so you will have to ask Google if they will implement additional email addresses for you. 1password can not add additional email addresses to Google's mail servers.

• Hello @aweb! 👋

Thank you for the suggestion! I know that Gmail supports "plus" addressing and I believe that they ignore any periods in the email. Do I understand correctly that you'd like 1Password to automatically generate and fill "aliases" that look like the following:

youremailaddress.twitter@gmail.com

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave

• aweb
    aweb
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave!
    Thanks for the quick response.

I don’t know much about tech, so take with a grain of salt… but yes.

It seems like a Gmail user could have a ‘masked’ email/unique username if 1PW used the ‘default’ email with a plus symbol/period and a randomly generated string to fill ‘email’ and or username fields?

Something like: youremailadress+69gu5bo@gmail.com

Also, I think this has been asked before but could a ‘username generator’ be built into the app to help prevent username recycling?

• @aweb

Thank you for the reply. We do have existing feature requests open for adding support for Gmail plus addressing as well as creating a username generator. I've added your votes and comments to both of those feature requests.

Thank you again for the suggestions. 🙂

-Dave

ref: IDEA-I-552
    ref: IDEA-I-898

This discussion has been closed.