Native Password AutoFill Extension macOS

Options
snowy
snowy
Community Member

So one of the people in my family subscription for 1P relies heavily on iCloud Keychain. The nice piece about using the native autofill extension is entries from both show up together in-line. This happens on iOS (or if you use other password managers it secure by each provider but both are offered the same way together).

in terms of migration and allowing those who wish to use both depending on the context. It would be nice to support the native autofill extension, but further it limits exposure or need for safari extension. Should someone not want to use or can't install the extension due to work policy or just rather not use safari extensions

thanks.

1Password Version: 8.x
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.6
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• seanzxx
    seanzxx
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• Hi @snowy

Anyone who wants to use autofill on a Mac without installing an extension in their browser can use Universal Autofill to do this.

Use Universal Autofill in apps and browsers on your Mac

That way, as you mentioned, if they're not allowed to install extensions, but can install 1Password, autofilling will be available to them without anything else. On iOS and iPadOS, autofilling is only possible through iOS's Password AutoFill system – Universal Autofill isn't an option for us there.

Hope that helps! :)

— Grey

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member
    Options

To clarify Universal autofill doesn’t fulfill the need described above.

Universal autofill requires accessibility permissions. In this case this permission change is not allowed.

The second part it doesn’t show in-line with iCloud Keychain entries. One for usability and second in the case of sharing with who uses both and forcing this person all in 1Password is not an option.

• Dave_1P
    edited October 2023
    Options

@snowy

Thank you for the feedback. 1Password currently supports filling using either the browser extension or Universal Autofill.

I would recommend that your family member choose to use either Keychain or 1Password but not both at the same time since that can cause confusion and result in logins being saved and updated in two different places at once. Using 1Password for Safari provides the best filling experience on the Mac. But I do understand if that's not an option for them and I've forwarded your request and specific feedback to our product team so that they can consider it for the future. 🙂

edit: For clarity.

-Dave

ref: PB-32319173

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member
    Options

Understood, you have to pick the areas where to focus. I figured better to ask and provide the suggestion. There are some people out there who would be interested in having this feature. Thanks for the consideration!

• Thank you again for the feedback! 🙂

-Dave

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

so I saw the recent post from 1password about the native autofill with passkeys for iOS 17:

https://blog.1password.com/apple-passkey-api-wwdc/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=beyond-passwords-newsletter-july&utm_campaign=passwordless&utm_ref=email-beyond-passwords-newsletter-july

Interesting the link in the blog post:

https://developer.apple.com/passkeys/

It shows macOS using this native autofill option, but 1Password post only makes reference to iOS in regards to the apple platforms. I hope 1password will consider this implementation for the Mac. Particularly in terms of being consistent across platforms. It is much easier to explain to my spouse to just turn on autofill across the devices using native function while 1Password remains the secure store for passwords and passkeys.

• Dave_1P
    edited August 2023
    Options

@snowy

Thank you for the additional comments, and the explanation of how the feature would be useful to you and your family, I've passed your new feedback along to our product team as well. 🙂

-Dave

ref: 32319173

• ianto
    ianto
    Community Member
    Options

Another +1 for me. I would really miss 1Password because it holds more than just Passwords (or Passkeys in the future for me), but without native Autofill instead of the Universal Autofill hack, I need to migrate away.

I don't mean to sound so final, but it is a dealbreaker for me, not just a nice-to-have.

In addition to being well-integrated, it is also blazingly fast with amazing user experience. The 1Password extension takes seconds to even appear, and sometimes up to 10 seconds to even unlock and react.

• ianto
    ianto
    Community Member
    Options

Just a quick note, running the latest 1PW beta extension for Safari and the beta build in 1PW 8 for Mac, the extension is now fast again! :) So that trouble is gone, yay.

Still +1 for native Autofill provided by Apple, now that Apple also extends it with Passkeys :p But at least 1PW is usable again for me in Safari! Thank you for the update.

• @ianto

Thank you for the feedback! Have you personally tried using Universal Autofill on your Mac? It works so fast that, at least to me, it feels like magic when I use it to fill a password: Use Universal Autofill in apps and browsers on your Mac

I'm happy to hear that 1Password in Safari is working well again for you. 🙂

-Dave

ref: 34908909

• ianto
    ianto
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P Thank you for the response, Dave!

I do agree that the Universal AutoFill invention by 1Password is usually fine and even works in websites, it doesn't fill any one time passwords for me however. And it completely falls apart when we talk about Passkeys, to get the same fidelity as on iOS, 1Password would also have to support the system-wide AutoFill by Apple on macOS as the OP requested.

Without one time passwords or Passkeys, Universal AutoFill is a nice idea, but still remains just a hack. Apple has a way for other password managers to perfectly tie into the system, so I would really really encourage you to adopt AutoFill on macOS as well and publish a statement regarding this. :D Thank you.

• @ianto

Thank you again for your thoughts and suggestions, I've forwarded all of your comments to our product team. 🙂

-Dave

• ianto
    ianto
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

Very kind of you. Thanks. 😊

• Thank you. 🙂

-Dave

• michaelyork
    michaelyork
    Community Member
    Options

+1000 for using the native macOS/iOS APIs for Autofill. iCloud Keychain is quickly becoming a superior filling experience.

• Dave_1P
    edited August 2023
    Options

@michaelyork

You can already use iOS AutoFill to fill logins from 1Password on an iPhone or iPad: Use 1Password to fill and save in apps and browsers on your iPhone and iPad

I'll let the team know that you'd like to see the same functionality on the Mac. For now you can use 1Password in the browser or Universal Autofill (which also works in macOS apps) to fill logins on the Mac:

Thank you for the feedback.

-Dave

ref: 35118400

• michaelyork
    michaelyork
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Dave_1P – and you're right on iOS, but the iOS API integration did take a step backwards with the release of 1Password 8. Unfortunately, 1Password no longer respects the "Enable/disable Face ID for Autofill" setting in iOS Settings. Now, even if you have that set to disabled, 1Password insists on launching its extension and performing auth before filling the credentials.

And on macOS, the current implementation of passkeys in the beta extension is not promising. It's implemented without the macOS APIs and attempts to hijack the system passkey prompt instead of just integrating with it.

• @michaelyork

Thank you for reporting the issue with iOS AutoFill and Face ID, I've open an internal work item so that our developers can look into this further.

And on macOS, the current implementation of passkeys in the beta extension is not promising. It's implemented without the macOS APIs and attempts to hijack the system passkey prompt instead of just integrating with it.

If you've been testing passkeys in the beta version of 1Password in the browser then the team would love to hear about your experience. You can open a new thread on the topic in our beta category: 1Password in the browser beta — 1Password Community

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#23691

• michaelyork
    michaelyork
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @Dave_1P – look forward to hearing back on the AutoFill/Face ID issue. I'll follow up separately on the browser extension in that forum.

• @michaelyork

Thanks again for reporting the issue. 🙂

-Dave

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member
    Options

i am still holding hope for the native API on macOS. With Sonoma password sharing abilities I could actually get it so my wife and I actually have all our stuff in 1Password. I would be able to slowly move over over (and my wife be able to know which ones she hasn't). Than eventually we could turn off iCloud Keychain and be using 1Password 100% and would effectively be transparent to your her current workflow.

• @snowy

Thanks for the reply. Can you clarify what you mean by the following:

With Sonoma password sharing abilities I could actually get it so my wife and I actually have all our stuff in 1Password.

You can share items in 1Password with another person either by moving them into a shared vault or by sending a secure share link:

My recommendation is that you and your wife migrate your items to 1Password, confirm that all of your items are inside of 1Password, and then turn off iCloud Keychain: Move your iCloud Passwords from Safari to 1Password

Once everything is in 1Password you can use a shared vault to share items with your wife.

-Dave

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member
    Options

Let me clarify she uses both. And we use a shared vault on 1Password. However she will use native autofill for both 1p and Keychain on iOS cause they are both inline. Basicly no overhead. But on macOS she doesn’t want to use browser extension. And understandable she says “why can’t I just autofill like I do iOS?”. I agree. And if with Sonoma shared passwords I can figure which ones I still need to move for her.

• Dave_1P
    edited October 2023
    Options

@snowy

Thanks for the reply. You wrote that your wife was considering moving exclusively to 1Password so that I wanted to know more about the exact scenario there. I appreciate the explanation.

But on macOS she doesn’t want to use browser extension. And understandable she says “why can’t I just autofill like I do iOS?”.

Has she already tried 1Password in the browser herself? It's really an amazing experience on the Mac powered by 1Password's own filling brain. And there are features available with 1Password in the browser that aren't available with AutoFill:

-Dave

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Unfortunately, I have had mixed experience with the browser extension on both Safari and Chrome. I have an open ticket I need follow up on with Chrome and the extension. I use it on both regularly. So I am just not willing to ask my wife to use it if I can't say it works 95%+ without issues. Those features we don't have currently have a need for.

Where as the native autofill effectively always works and works on iOS without any issues to speak of. And it is simple to use. The only one issue with autofill was because I flipped from 1Password 7 to 8 and wasn't getting autofill suggestions.

• @snowy

Thanks for the reply. The team would be happy to help resolve the issues that you're running into with 1Password in the browser. Do you have a support ticket open via email? Once you've responded to it please post the support ID here. It'll look something like this: [#ABC-12345-678]. I'll be able to locate your ticket, confirm that it's with the right team, and make sure you receive a reply as soon as possible. 🙂

-Dave

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P so one other thing about the native autofill. I ask cause I started setting up passkeys in 1Password on iOS, which is seamless, effortless, and great.

However, how are passkeys suppose to work with native apps without the native autofill on macOS?

I noticed another post about web app feature in Sonoma. (https://1password.community/discussion/142939/using-1password-with-safari-save-to-dock-apps#latest)

• @snowy

I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying the passkey experience on iOS. 😊

However, how are passkeys suppose to work with native apps without the native autofill on macOS?

For now, you would continue to use your username and password to log in or use the app's fallback login method. Do you have any examples of Mac apps that you use that support passkeys? I would be happy to pass those examples along to the team.

-Dave

• michaelyork
    michaelyork
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P Using passkeys for Safari Web Apps is one big example, and it's frustrating me too. The browser extension is also plagued with connection reliability issues (at least with Safari) and has been for some time. I don't know why 1Password has been so stubborn to adopt the great API built into macOS as they already have adopted on iOS.