Native Password AutoFill Extension macOS

Options
2»

Comments

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P [#ZEF-53339-745] <=that’s open issue you asked about. However it does pertain to the chrome extension.

• ianto
    ianto
    Community Member
    Options

I think @michaelyork summed it up best for me. "Stubborn" is the path you chose XD 1Password is great software, and on the Mac the past year has shown that the Credential Provider API is the best way forward to offer a seamless integration for all things passwords and passkeys on Apple platforms. It may diverge from the path forward you originally carved with the 1Password Universal Autofill hack, but please accept that most people really appreciate Apple native integration. :)

• @snowy

Thank you for posting the Support ID. My colleague sent you an email asking for more information a few days ago, please reply to him there when you can. 🙂

@ianto

Thank you for the feedback.

@elija6266

Thanks for writing in, could you clarify the issue that you're referring to? Is something not working when you're using 1Password on your Mac?

-Dave

ref: PB-36572512

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member
    Options

Just to be clear this is the same thing I requested here:

https://1password.community/discussion/135622/native-password-autofill-extension-macos#latest

It has been an API feature in the last 2 major releases of macOS.

Might I suggest combining these feature requests because this would should a more accurate number of interested parties for this feature request?

And @Dave_1P to answer your question apps I use so far at this point don't use passkeys, but the native API would allow for it as soon as it became available example being something like WhatsApp:

as you can see in the note use sign into apps with passkeys.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@snowy

I've merged your comment into your existing thread so that we can keep the conversation in one place. Even if there are multiple threads, we're tracking everyone's requests internally to make sure that we have an accurate idea of the demand for the feature request. 🙂

I've let the team know that you'd still like to see the AutoFill feature supported on macOS. Thanks again for the feedback.

-Dave

• nNfEfRtqUHrmDWYdocjh
    nNfEfRtqUHrmDWYdocjh
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Dave, please add my voice for this feature request as well. Especially because of consistency between iOS, iPadOS and macOS.

• ag_tommy
    edited January 10
    Options

You've got it @nNfEfRtqUHrmDWYdocjh

ref: PB-36572512

• billimek
    billimek
    Community Member
    Options

Please add my voice to the request for native MacOS password autofill integration!

• @billimek

Can you tell me a little more about your use case for the feature? Knowing more about where the current filling options (1Password in the browser and Universal Autofill) are falling short for you will help our product team better prioritize the request. 🙂

-Dave

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on this feature. Consistency within the Apple ecosystem is always preferable.

• t3rminus
    t3rminus
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on this for me too. It's surprising that 1Password works to be so seamless and effortless but integrating with the operating system's credential APIs wasn't a priority.

• okapica
    okapica
    Community Member
    edited January 11
    Options

+1 The feature is already supported in IOS and iPadOS. Integration should work without the need of accessibility features which Universal autofill relies on.

*edit with a French Canadian keyboard mapping universal autofill with CMD+\ is convoluted.

• Dave_1P
    edited January 11
    Options

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I know that the team's current focus is on our existing filling options which you can read more about here:

That being said, I've passed along your requests and feedback to the team internally and they'll look into the macOS filling feature for the future. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-37763254
    ref: PB-37763285
    ref: PB-37763316
    ref: PB-37763332

• jhogervorst
    jhogervorst
    Community Member
    Options

➕1️⃣

This is a big miss, especially now that Passkeys are getting more common, and the 1Password extension in Safari is (still) totally unreliable.

(Re-posting my comment that was split off, for visibility.)

One use case for native macOS AutoFill are the new Safari 17 web apps, where no autofill dropdown appears when focussing a login field. I suppose the universal autofill from 1Password might work here, but I never use that and prefer just to click a login field and have the logins appear in a dropdown, like in Safari.

• Dave_1P
    edited February 28
    Options

@jhogervorst

Thank you for the feedback, it's been passed along to the team. Regarding the Safari issues that you're running into, I see that my colleague sent you an email 13 days ago asking for some more information and we're waiting on your reply to investigate further.

Safari web apps don't support browser extensions but you can indeed use Universal Autofill to fill your logins there: Use Universal Autofill in apps and browsers on your Mac

-Dave

ref: PB-38245176
    ref: NJN-48466-648