TouchID requires password too often

Options
LarryMcJ
LarryMcJ
Community Member
edited December 2022 in Mac

I realize there are several discussions about this, but in order to provide something definitive, I did an experiment, keeping track of all results. I ensured 1Password was configured to require a password for TouchID every 30 days (screenshot below). In a single 48-hour period, using 1Password on macOS (Ventura v13.0.1), I used AutoFill a total of 50 times. Out of those 50 times, 1Password required my actual password (not TouchID) 10 times. If this is a bug and expected behavior...I'm perfectly fine with it. But if it's not supposed to occur, can someone explain why it does? Having to type in a password this often defeats the purpose of TouchID. Thanks.

1Password Version: 8.9.8
Extension Version: 2.4.1
OS Version: macOS 13.0.1
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

In a single 48-hour period, using 1Password on macOS (Ventura v13.0.1), I used AutoFill a total of 50 times. Out of those 50 times, 1Password required my actual password (not TouchID) 10 times.

Is this limited to 1Password?

For what it's worth, with a MacBook Pro 16-inch 2019 (Ventura 13.0.1), I have the same problem with 1Password 8, but also when rebooting or using different applications.

It seems to have started when I upgraded to Ventura, and deleting and re-entering fingerprints doesn't seem to help.

David

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

I’ve always expected this behavior after a restart. But 1Password isn’t supposed to do this 20% of the time during normal autofills.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

I’ve always expected this behavior after a restart.

I seem to have misread your original post. The problem I'm talking about is Touch ID failing (and then asking for a password) more often than it used to, not 1Password requiring a login password more often.

Sorry for the confusion.

David

• Hi @LarryMcJ,

Sorry to hear password settings aren't behaving as expected. Could I ask you how your auto-lock settings are currently configured? You can find these just below the Touch ID section you shared:

And to confirm, are you being asked for your account password when using autofill via a keyboard shortcut? Is the behaviour the same whether you're filling in your browser or an app?

Let me know and we'll take it from there. 🙂

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Auto-lock has always been set to 2 minutes, and I don't want to alter that. I just don't want to have to manually authenticate with my password to open 1Password more than once per 30 days, as is supposed to happen.

I don't use keyboard shortcuts for autofill and I don't use 1Password for apps in macOS. I'm only using 1Password to authenticate websites.

• shaas4
    shaas4
    Community Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

Wow - interesting forum GUI - cannot delete post

• shaas4
    shaas4
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue: I have it set to unlock with touchID, require password every 2 weeks, and it requires a password every time the screensaver starts or computer locks (no touchID). 1Password for Mac 8.9.8 (80908009)

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

I feel your pain. With this occurring approximately 80% of the time for me, it’s become a major problem when I have to use 1Password so many times daily.

I’ve been a vocal proponent of v8 since it’s release, but I’ve noticed things like this take much longer to resolve than pre-Electron. I hope things improve – after 17 years I don’t want to change 🙁.

• VT1P
    VT1P
    Community Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

My experience with 8.9.8 is much better, but not perfect. Our silicone Macs seem to be fine, but my Intel iMac locks and needs my password about every other day. I sleep my iMac, requiring an immediate log-in password, so I have my iMac 1P8 set to never lock.

All of our Macs are on Monterey.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

8.9.8 is what I'm using and my Macs are all M1 and M2 and all running Ventura.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Three more times this morning this happened. Any "official" word on when it might be resolved?

• Hi @LarryMcJ, @shaas4, and @VT1P,

Sorry to hear this behaviour persists. I recognize how disruptive it must be and apologize for any inconvenience. To help us better understand the issue, I'd like to ask you all to create diagnostics reports from your Macs. Ideally these are generated immediately after the password prompt:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com. Please include your forum usernames and a link to this thread in the email as well.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Post that number here so we can link the conversations. Hopefully a look under the hood will give us more insight and we can come to a solution or at least find a workaround. Looking forward to hearing from you all. 👍🏻

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

Just happened yet again at 7:29pm ET. Message has been sent with attached diagnostics and other info as requested. Below is the Support number.

[#CHT-99432-439]

• Thanks, @LarryMcJ!

I see you're already chatting with Grey, you're in good hands. 🙂

ref: CHT-99432-439

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

I'm hopeful, but I'm quite sure this isn't a Settings thing, otherwise it would happen all the time. Sometimes it demands authentication and sometimes it doesn't. The settings clearly are set to only require authentication once every 30 days.

• philb74
    philb74
    Community Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

Hi all, I've got the same issue since I upgraded to Ventura.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

FWIW, my problem began with 1P v8 beta (not on the beta now), which preceded Ventura.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

After the recent update to v8.9.10, I'm happy to report this is not happening anymore. I've tested it dozens of times and it is 100% fixed! I didn't change anything on my end with hardware or other apps, so I have to think v8.9.10 was the solution. Thanks to all the 1Password staff for the forum and email support with this!

• whackit
    whackit
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here. Frequent hangs of browser extension in Safari and constantly asking for manual input. Incredibly frustrating.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

@whackit – FWIW, upgrading to v8.9.10 seems to have fixed this. It was occurring all too often, but it hasn't since 1Password updated. If it's still happening to you in v8.9.10, then it's probably just a matter of time before I see it again.

• whackit
    whackit
    Community Member
    Options

FWIW, upgrading to v8.9.10 seems to have fixed this

Not for me. I'm on 8.9.10. I will say that my install seems buggy in general though.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

More folks than not don't have this issue, though I certainly know it's real. If it returns for me, I'll do what one of the Agile folks recommended, and rip it completely off my Mac and do a complete reinstall, preferences and all.

• @LarryMcJ,

Glad to hear an update resolved things on your end, thanks for updating folks here on the forum. Hopefully you'll never have to do a full re-install but certainly a troubleshooting step to keep in your back pocket. 🙂

@philb74 and @whackit,

If you folks are still experiencing this on the latest versions of 1Password and MacOS, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com along with your forum username and a link to this thread. We'll connect your conversations and take a look under the hood to see what's going on.

If you'd prefer to try a fresh installation first, you can find instructions on our website here: How to uninstall 1Password

Thanks for your patience, looking forward to getting this resolved for you both. 😊

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Well...I may have spoken too soon, as it happened twice this morning. Unfortunately, it will just have to wait as I'm slammed until Friday.

• philb74
    philb74
    Community Member
    Options

I have some additional infos about my current setup, which I think could be related to the problem.

• I'm always using an external monitor and have my Mac Book Pro's lid closed. Touch ID is disabled in that case, but Apple Watch is still working.
    • If unlock with Apple Watch is not working, I wait for some time (can't say exactly how long it takes) and unlock with Apple Watch works again.
    • It also works most of the time when I open the lid of my Mac Book Pro when this issue occurs. Touch ID gets activated an I can unlock with Touch ID, even if Apple Watch is not working.

Maybe someone else have similar experiences?

Cheers, Phil

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Hmmm…I have an M2 MacBook Air (display closed) and an Apple Studio Display. But I rarely have my AW on when I’m in my office.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

FWIW, this is still an intermittent problem for me - using v8.9.11 (80911019) on an M2 MBP. Some days I'll use 1Password 10 times and it invokes TouchID each time. Other days, it requires a password several times in succession. This is the same pattern my wife experiences on her Mac mini so I don't think it's limited to my installation. Something definitely still wrong.

• philb74
    philb74
    Community Member
    Options

@LarryMcJ do you use an external keyboard without touch sensor? Support told me, they are looking into an open issue with this setup.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

No. I use an M1 MBA, Apple Magic Keyboard (with TouchID) and an Apple Studio Display.

My wife uses the latest iMac with an Apple Magic Keyboard (with TouchID).

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

This is definitely still a thing. Any hope of it being resolved somewhere in the future?

This discussion has been closed.