If I log into 1Password in say Firefox then launch Chrome do I need to log in again?

Staplehorse
Staplehorse
Community Member

After I upgrade to 1Password 8 and get the new browser extensions do I need to log into 1Password each time I open a new/different browser?

With 1Password 7/Windows and classic browser extensions I can log into the app once and switch between browsers (Firefox, Edge, Chrome) as well as different Firefox profiles without logging in again. After setting up 1Password for a friend I see the new extension appears to require you to log in in the browser instead. How does this work? If it requires a login per browser session 1Password is a huge downgrade.

I'm not encouraged by the response in this discussion here: Firefox extension locked on each browser restart

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: 2.5.1
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Firefox
Referrer: forum-search:login to 1password 8 every time I restart the browser

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hey @Staplehorse !

The Windows app is needed in order to automatically unlock the browser extensions.

The following settings must be enabled in both - 1Password for Windows and 1Password in the browser.

Now, browser extensions should be unlocked as soon as the Windows app is unlocked.

• Hello @Staplehorse,

Thanks for contacting us.

You mentioned

After I upgrade to 1Password 8 and get the new browser extensions do I need to log into 1Password each time I open a new/different browser?

This sounds like expected behaviour when using the extension by itself as it will automatically lock whenever your browser is closed.

If you set up 1Password in the browser to Integrate with the 1Password desktop app this will allow you to control the lock settings solely within the 1Password 8 desktop app. This means 1Password in the browser will remain unlocked even if you close the browser.

To integrate auto lock settings between 1Password desktop app and 1Password in the browser:

1. Open your browser as you usually do.
    2. Unlock 1Password by clicking the 1Password icon in your browser’s toolbar (or press ctrl + shift + x). Enter your password at this point if necessary.
    3. Right click on the 1Password icon, then choose Settings.
    4. Turn on Integrate with 1Password app.
    5. Open the 1Password app. Go to Settings (Ctrl+Comma) >Browser.
    6. Make sure that " Connect with 1Password in the browser" is ticked.

Settings for 1Password in the browser:

Settings for the 1Password 8 desktop app:

Try those configurations and let me know how you get on. I'll be here if you need further help.

Jermaine

• Staplehorse
    Staplehorse
    Community Member

Thanks guys, works seamlessly.

• Hello @Staplehorse,

On behalf of Jermaine (and thanks to @DenalB as always), we're happy to hear all is working.

Do let us know if you have any other concerns. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.