Edge extension on Windows constantly logging/timing out

For several weeks now, the browser extension in Edge on Windows has been continually logging out of 1P, despite not being configured to 'automatically lock' and the browser remaining open. I'm not clear on what interval at which this is happening, but it's extremely annoying. When it happens, 1P begins opening multiple 'signon' tabs until I complete the signon.

Signing on uses a 2fa code stored on an iPhone, so I then have to go to another device to obtain the authentication code. On iOS this requires navigating through Settings, etc, which is a pain.

Have you changed some behaviour, or is this a bug?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.5.1
OS Version: Windows 10 64-bit
Browser:_ Edge

Comments

• danieldan
    danieldan
    Community Member

Same issue with chrome/brave on my PC.
    How can we prevent the extension from locking?

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni

Hi @twynne and @danieldan - Thanks for reaching out to us here. 🙂

Based on what you shared, it sounds like you've bumped into an issue our development team is currently investigating. I've added you both as affected users as that investigation continues, and I'm hopeful we will have more news to share soon.

In the meantime, could you try these steps and see if it improves things in your case?

1. Log in to 1Password.com with your account details. Use the following guide to turn off 2FA on your account (temporarily):
    1. Right click on the 1Password icon in the browser's toolbar.

2. Select Settings. Under the General section, turn the Integrate with 1Password app setting to OFF.

3. Scroll down to the "Accounts & vaults" section, and sign out of your account there.

4. Open & unlock the 1Password desktop app.

5. On your 1Password.com page, let's re-enable the 2FA, as we closed in step 1 above.

6. You should see the prompt notification in the 1Password desktop app to verify the authentication. Let's complete it there.

7. Back to the "Settings" page of 1Password in the browser (extension) in step 4, let's sign in to your account again under the "Account & vaults" section.

8. After everything works correctly, please restart your computer to ensure no pending process prevents 1Password from connecting with the browser.

9. On startup, let's open & unlock the 1Password desktop app first, then open your browser and turn on the "Integrate with 1Password app" option in step 3 above.

Let us know how you get on!

ref: dev/core/core#14622

• twynne
    twynne
    Community Member

Hi Paul,

I'm afraid on this machine I'm not using the 1Password desktop application, only the browser extension. Frustratingly I had already started following the instructions and have now disabled 2FA, only to realise these instructions probably aren't relevant. I'll have to set it all up again now, but please advise next steps based on using extension only.

• NoFatNoFlavor
    NoFatNoFlavor
    Community Member

@paul.m_1p , feel free to add me to the list of affected users. This has been driving me bananas since it started a few weeks ago.
    In this case:
    Chrome, Version 108.0.5359.172 (Official Build) (64-bit), running on a chromebook.
    Browser ext.: 2.5.1

• twynne
    twynne
    Community Member

Hi Paul,

I'm afraid on this machine I'm not using the 1Password desktop application, only the browser extension. Frustratingly I had already started following the instructions and have now disabled 2FA, only to realise these instructions probably aren't relevant. I'll have to set it all up again now, but please advise next steps based on using extension only.

• twynne
    twynne
    Community Member

The instructions above have seemingly created a complete mess for me. Not sure if it was due to disabling 2FA, but I've found since then that OTP's are not syncing across devices - and that is causing havoc. Had some luck with logging out each device, but things still don't seem right. I would strongly suggest anyone with this issue, and using 1P on multiple devices, to NOT follow the instructions above.

Aside: There are mentions of system issues on the 1P side in the same forum, so that may also be a factor. Nonetheless, when your primary method of managing security/2FA across all services and applications is not working, it is a major pain!

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni

@twynne - Thanks for following up on this here. I truly apologize if those steps caused things to get out of whack. For context, while we are still actively investigating, the issue at hand looks to involve two-factor authentication, and some trouble syncing that authentication properly with our server. In some cases, those steps (some parts modified when the app isn't installed) have got things back on track. I don't believe the further troubles you bumped into are related to the known issue, but we can investigate more deeply.

At this point, I'd ask if you could write in to us directly with the information below. That way, we can take a closer look and ensure things are working a smooth as possible, considering the issue at hand:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

For other users seeing this post, I'd recommend contacting support@1password.com so we can confirm things a little closer.

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni

@NoFatNoFlavor - I've added your case and insight to our internal tracker. The team here is actively investigating, and I hope we'll have an update to share soon. Keep your eye on our releases page for updates: 1Password Releases. Thanks for your patience 🙂

• twynne
    twynne
    Community Member

Support ID: [#KPP-87854-965]

• @twynne Thanks for providing me with your Support ID number. It looks like a member of our team reached out to you recently. Let me know if you haven't received a reply so I can follow up with you. If you received the reply, you can feel free to ignore this message and continue to troubleshoot via email. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

• twynne
    twynne
    Community Member

Yes. Reply received thanks. Just giving the proposed solution time to see if issue resolved. Should find out tomorrow.

• I hope everything is smooth sailing from here on @twynne.

Have a great weekend!

This discussion has been closed.