1Password 8 removes 1Password 7 during install

PreCTANT
PreCTANT
Community Member

I have just run the 1Password 8 installer on macOS and found myself without 1Password 7 afterwards.

That leaves me without a number of vaults that are not part of the two subscriptions I pay for, but were local vaults and were supposed to stay local vaults in 1Password 7.

Does anyone know how to recover from this?

Comments

• Hello @PreCTANT! 👋

1Password 8's installer will, by design, place 1Password 7 into a ZIP folder located in your Mac's Applications folder. This is done to prevent conflicts between the two versions. I don't recommend using both 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 at the same time and, with the launch of 1Password 8 for Mac, 1Password 7 for Mac is no longer supported and will only receive important security updates. I encourage you to only use 1Password 8 moving forward.

That being said, you can always extract the copy of 1Password 7 from the ZIP in the Applications folder if you wish.

That leaves me without a number of vaults that are not part of the two subscriptions I pay for, but were local vaults and were supposed to stay local vaults in 1Password 7.

You should have received a prompt when you installed 1Password 8 to migrate those older standalone vaults to your 1Password account. Do you not see the items from those vaults in one of your 1Password.com accounts?

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave

• PreCTANT
    PreCTANT
    Community Member

Hi Dave

Good to hear from you :-) thank you for taking the time!

That being said, you can always extract the copy of 1Password 7 from the ZIP in the Applications folder if you wish.

Upon start of the extracted copy macOS informs me that the application is corrupt and suggests moving it to trash. I have tried double-clicking, secondary clicking and using the stock macOS Archive Utility, as well as using unzip in Terminal – always ending with a seemingly corrupt copy of 1Password 7.

How do I get a working copy of 1Password 7 without losing my local data?

• @PreCTANT

Thank you for the reply. It sounds like there's something wrong with the code signature of the old app. The steps below will reinstall 1Password 7 from our website (don't worry, your data is stored in a separate location and is safe):

1. Quit all open web browsers.
    2. Open the main 1Password app. Hold down the Control (⌃) and Option (⌥) keys on your keyboard and choose 1Password > Quit 1Password Completely from the menu bar.
    3. Drag 1Password 7 from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.
    4. Restart your Mac.
    5. Download the latest version of 1Password 7 from the 1Password website.
    6. Quit any open web browsers and then install 1Password.
    7. Open and unlock 1Password before opening your web browser.

Let me know if you run into any issues.

-Dave

• PreCTANT
    PreCTANT
    Community Member

It sounds like there's something wrong with the code signature of the old app.

Thank you for that timely help, Dave – I have decided to override the check instead of re-installing and am back in business :-)

You should have received a prompt when you installed 1Password 8 to migrate those older standalone vaults to your 1Password account. Do you not see the items from those vaults in one of your 1Password.com accounts?

To confirm, yes, that prompt has been displayed. I have denied it because I am unable to migrate my local vaults (well, to anything other than a self-hosted instance, which you do not offer currently), but I will spare both of us another round on this topic :-)

From my perspective, the expected outcome of running the 1Password 8 installer would have been:

• 1Password 7 remaining unchanged (local vaults + 1Password accounts)
    • 1Password 8 installed (1Password accounts only)

1Password 8's installer will, by design, place 1Password 7 into a ZIP folder located in your Mac's Applications folder.

Might be worth informing the user – I thought I was installing a separate software, but really it tried to upgrade in place without ever telling me. I got suspicious because Hazel asked me whether I wanted to move all files linked to 1Password 7 to the trash as well, which it is supposed to do when I remove an application from my system.

Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files.

Maybe worth considering that this important hint would be best placed in the 1Password 8 installer alongside the information that 1Password 7 will (from a regular user's perspective, at least) be removed from the system, because that is where the risk of data loss would materialise first. The installer's warning about items not being migrated does not quite cover that risk, because the user could deduce that while their items might not be migrated, they would still be available in their old place.

Again, thank you for your prompt help. It is the quick assistance that makes me still use your products despite such severe hiccups.

• @PreCTANT

The 1Password 8 installer sets 1Password 7 aside since we no longer recommend using 1Password 7 as it's no longer being updated. Leaving two different versions installed at the same time would be extremely confusing to most users. That being said, I'll pass along your feedback to the product team so that they can see if this can be improved in the future.

In general, I don't recommend a "hybrid" setup where you're using both a standalone vault and a 1Password account at the same time since that can create confusion where some vaults are only available on some devices and not others. By only using a 1Password account you guarantee that you see the same items on all of your devices without having to configure sync manually or worry about which devices hold which vaults.

Again, thank you for your prompt help. It is the quick assistance that makes me still use your products despite such severe hiccups.

It's my pleasure. 🙂

-Dave

• PreCTANT
    PreCTANT
    Community Member

Leaving two different versions installed at the same time would be extremely confusing to most users.

I wholeheartedly agree. All I am proposing is telling people about it and not being sneaky.

I even did my research before installing 1Password 8. I read on this forum that both versions could be run alongside each other. The installer did not make any mention of anything being removed. I believe it was reasonable to assume that nothing would be removed.

Generally speaking, removing anything without telling the user is bad practice, no matter how good the intentions.

In general, I don't recommend a "hybrid" setup where you're using both a standalone vault and a 1Password account at the same time since that can create confusion where some vaults are only available on some devices and not others. By only using a 1Password account you guarantee that you see the same items on all of your devices without having to configure sync manually or worry about which devices hold which vaults.

I agree. If I could get rid of all local vaults, I would happily do so.

It creates quite a headache having to sync my mobile devices via WiFi sync while also keeping two machines in line with each other through folder sync via a physical drive.

I would love to see a self-hosted instance, because it would tick all the boxes in terms of data location and unified sync. Understandably though, the demand for something like this has been very low. Not to mention the different kind of complexity that would be introduced through the actual hosting (even containerized deployment would likely be as much a burden on support as WiFi sync is today).

Until either
    1. you re-introduce local vaults,
    2. offer self-hosted instances, or
    3. the requirements change on my side,
    I am afraid we will need to proceed "hybrid". However, with sufficient documentation of the limits of such setup, I am hoping to be able to depend on it for long enough to have one of the three conditions above become true :-)

• @PreCTANT

Thank you again for the feedback! We don't have any plans to support older standalone vaults and you can read more about our decision in this essay that our founder Dave posted: The future of local/standalone vaults — 1Password Support Community

We are looking to learn more about what folks would like to see in a self-hosted version of 1Password.com to look into possibly doing something like this in the future. If you haven't already please fill out the self-hosted survey: Self-hosted 1Password kick-starter

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.