1Password won't fill in login fields on iOS

Options
bkendig
bkendig
Community Member
edited February 2023 in iOS

iPhone 11, iOS 16.3.1, 1Password 8.10.0. (Though this hasn't worked for at least a year.) I don't know where I can find the 1Password extension version, and I don't have any other extensions enabled.

In Safari on my iPhone, I go to any site for which I have a login, and I go to the login page. In the Safari address bar I tap the aA icon and select 1Password from the menu, then I enter my 1Password account password to unlock it.

Now, at the right ends of the Email and Password fields on the web site's login form, I see a 1Password keyhole icon. Tapping it puts, under the field, a box with the name of the site and my account email address for that site.

Problem is, tapping on that box does nothing. I expect it to autofill the Email/Password fields, but nothing happens.

Same thing if I bring up the aA menu again, select 1Password, search for this site's entry, then tap Autofill. Nothing happens.

Earlier today I noticed that the 1Password menu entry was giving me a triangle ! icon, so I went into the app and it told me I needed to go into Settings -> Passwords -> Password Options, turn on AutoFill Passwords, and select 1Password. I did, and I'm a little nervous that it asked me for my 1Password account password (I don't want it to store that, I want it to ask me whenever it needs that), but that didn't help matters; 1Password still won't fill login fields on my iPhone.

What's going wrong, and how do I fix this?

1Password Version: 8.10.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 16.3.1
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hello @bkendig! šŸ‘‹

I'm sorry that you're having trouble filling logins into websites using 1Password for Safari. Can you please try the following steps:

1. Fully close Safari on iOS.
    2. Tap on the Settings app on your iPhone.
    3. Scroll down and tap on Safari.
    4. Tap on Extensions.
    5. Tap on 1Password.
    6. Turn 1Password off and then back on.
    7. Make sure that all of the websites listed on this page are set to "Allow" including Other Websites.

Then open Safari and try to fill a password again. Let me know if you still see the same issue and I can help further. šŸ™‚

-Dave

• bkendig
    bkendig
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you; that did the trick - looks like I can't have anything set to "Ask", or else I run into this problem. Having everything set to "Allow" seems to let 1Password autofill properly.

Is this a security concern? I don't necessarily want to let 1Password watching for login fields on the pages I browse unless I specifically ask it to log in for me.

Also, when I turned on Autofill Passwords in the iOS Settings, it asked me for my 1Password account password. Is this a security concern? I don't want my 1Password account password saved anywhere; I want to type it in whenever it's needed. Am I able to have this while still allowing autofill?

• @bkendig

1Password for Safari on iOS functions in the same way that 1Password in the browser on desktop browsers does in regards to browser permissions. The 1Password extension requires access to your browsing history in order to know which website you're visiting so that it knows which login item to suggest. Without this permission 1Password for Safari wouldn't know which website's login information to suggest and fill into the browser. You can read more about browser permissions here: About 1Password browser permissions

We do not save or transmit your browsing history and gathering information about you is not our business model. Your browsing history is not collected by 1Password for Safari nor is it ever transmitted off of your device by 1Password. You can read more about our commitment to your privacy in our Privacy Policy: Keep your secrets & passwords safe and secure

Also, when I turned on Autofill Passwords in the iOS Settings, it asked me for my 1Password account password. Is this a security concern? I don't want my 1Password account password saved anywhere; I want to type it in whenever it's needed. Am I able to have this while still allowing autofill?

When you enable Password AutoFill for 1Password you'll be prompted for your account password to finish the setup process and to be given a chance to modify AutoFill settings from inside of the 1Password app. Your account password isn't saved anywhere as part of this process.

-Dave

• bkendig
    bkendig
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, same question, but this time with the 1Password 7 app on iOS. I have a friend whose vault is on Dropbox and won't upgrade from that version. The 1Password icon isn't appearing on login fields in iOS Safari. We tried your steps above to no avail. Any ideas, and is the 1Password 7 process different?

• @bkendig

The 1Password Safari extension can only work with 1Password.com accounts, so if your friend is still using a legacy sync method such as Dropbox, they can continue to use Password AutoFill (the "šŸ”‘ Passwords" button on the keyboard) as before.

ā€” Grey

This discussion has been closed.