iOS, 1password session and repeated login screen

Options
EWest
EWest
Community Member
edited March 2023 in iOS

I understand that for iOS 1Password no longer supports setting the autolock time. However what I find frustrating when not using faceID is that for a given login to a web page, I need to login to 1Password to get the initial credentials for that page. If the site splits the credential request (eg name, password, 2FA) then with each page, 1Password needs to be logged into for each of those items. Is there a way around this? Should 1Password be able to identify that a login session for a given site belongs to a single 1Password session?

Thanks.

--Eric

1Password Version: 8.10.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 16.1.2
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• @ewest

I sounds like might you need to adjust your auto-lock settings. Specifically the lock on exit option.

🔒 How to set 1Password to lock automatically

• EWest
    EWest
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

Yes, but no. This seems specific to the iPhone. I have the browser autolock set to 15min. I log into the 1password app; I log into the 1password web site. From within that browser I open the nytimes page. ...and attempt to log into that account.. and am presented with yet another 1password app request for my passphrase. Très annoying. and note, I am not using FaceId for passwords

Where is the lock on-exit option? ...in fact as best I can tell, version 8x does not have much by way of settings in iOS

--Eric

• @EWest

Tap your user icon in the upper left-hand corner and then scroll to settings.

• EWest
    EWest
    Community Member
    Options

Ach.. Just noticed. A dark icon does not appear if the Dark Theme is enabled. Something to mention to the UI designers. Thanks.

• @EWest

Thank you for reporting the issue, I've let our developers know and they'll take a look at improving this in the future.

Let me know if there's anything else that we can help you with. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#18041

• KeithB
    KeithB
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue! It is so frustrating! Hopefully they will fix this problem ASAP! Takes up to much time having to login multiple times.

• @KeithB

I've alerted the team that you're also affected by this.

• KeithB
    KeithB
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you

• Thank you for reporting the issue and for your patience.

-Dave

• kamare
    kamare
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue.

• Thanks @kamare

I've got you penciled in for the reported behavior, inside our tracker.

• markpoolemn
    markpoolemn
    Community Member
    Options

This issue is happening for me every time I open Safari - the extension wants me to login to 1Password every time I open Safari for any reason, including when all tabs are closed and I force-quit the browser. I have FaceID turned on and security keys enabled, so it seems it should be using FaceID to authenticate me, not asking for a password.

I did go into More Settings on the device and extended the auto-lock setting for the device from 15 minutes to 300 minutes. I also have the 1Password app set to reauthorize after 2 weeks. Even if this works, it is not really a fully acceptable workaround, as it does lessen security. I don't mind being asked to reauthenticate after 15 minutes (using FaceID) if I am trying to log into a site using 1Password, but not every time I open Safari. This only started for me after updating to iOS 16.4.1 AFAIK.

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16.4.1, current 1Password 8.

• @markpoolemn

I'm sorry for the frustration. Can you please clarify what you mean when you say:

the extension wants me to login to 1Password every time I open Safari for any reason

Are you having to enter in your account password, Secret Key, and the email address associated with your 1Password account? Or are you just being prompted for your account password?

Can you also confirm whether you're using the 1Password for Safari browser extension to fill your logins or Password AutoFill? Descriptions of both are here:

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• markpoolemn
    markpoolemn
    Community Member
    Options

Dave: Sorry for the confusion. I'm referring to the Safari browser in iOS/iPadIOS 16.4.1. I'm being prompted for my account password. When I open the browser on the phone, it always opens a new tab with a 1Password login screen. If I close the tab (or even close all tabs and restart Safari), it appears again next time I open (or switch to) the browser.

I was able to stop the behavior by:

1. Going into Settings and reconfiguring the 1Password app to reauthorize after 2 weeks, and
    2. Clicking in More Settings to take me to the 1Password settings page in the browser, and extending the auto-lock setting for that device from 15 minutes to 300 minutes.

I'm not sure which of the above made it stop.

I have both Password Autofill enabled in iPhone Passwords (as this work across apps), and the 1Password for Safari extension enabled.

• @markpoolemn

Thank you for the reply. I have a couple more questions to help narrow down on the issue:

1. When this issue last occurred, what was "Reauthorize After" set to before you changed it to "2 Weeks"?
    2. Are you using a 1Password Business/Teams account with DUO MFA enabled by any chance?

-Dave

• markpoolemn
    markpoolemn
    Community Member
    Options
    1. TBH, I don't remember what it was set to before I changed it.
    2. No. But I did recently add Yubico security keys to my account, if that matters.
  • @markpoolemn

Thank you for the reply. The next time that this issue occurs, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.