Update caused unlock with Apple Watch to stop working

1enginepilot
1enginepilot
Community Member

Unlock with my Apple Watch has been working on my 2018 Mac mini without issue until a couple weeks ago. Now it just asks for my password. When I go to the security settings, unlock with watch isn't there, until I reboot, disable and enable unlock with my watch in my Mac settings. Within an hour, 1password reverts back to password only and the watch option is gone again from the settings window. I have no issues with the auto unlock on my Mac. Assuming this is a bug in the code.

1Password Version: 8.10.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.3
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• 1enginepilot
    1enginepilot
    Community Member

Here is the other screen shot, if I just disable then enable watch Auto Unlock in the macOS settings, 1password gives me the option again.

• Hello @1enginepilot! 👋

I'm sorry that Apple Watch unlock is intermittently not working for 1Password on your Mac. Can you check to see if you're able to authenticate a macOS system prompt the next time that Apple Watch unlock stops working for 1Password? Try these steps:

1. Click on the  in the menu bar.
    2. Click System Settings.
    3. Click Privacy & Security.
    4. Click Advanced.
    5. As a temporary troubleshooting step, turn on "Log out automatically after inactivity".
    6. You'll now see a macOS system prompt asking you to confirm the action. You should receive a double-tap notification on your Apple Watch.

Once this test is complete you can turn off "Log out automatically after inactivity" if you wish. Let me know the results. 🙂

-Dave

• 1enginepilot
    1enginepilot
    Community Member

So I found two things, the setting changes after the mini wakes up from sleep. And when I did your test it asked for a password and not my watch. Which is funny as when I woke up my mini, it auto unlocked to my desktop. As soon as I toggle use my watch in the system settings, your test above does ask for my watch to auth. Something in macOS is messed up??

• @1enginepilot

Thank you for the reply. It does indeed sound like something is going wrong with macOS and how it handles the connection to the Apple Watch. Our developers are aware of an issue that sounds like the behaviour that you're describing and have filed a bug report with Apple. I'd encourage you to report the macOS authentication issue to Apple on your end as well so that they can investigate further.

If you use the Mac after it wakes from sleep for an hour or so (without letting it sleep again) does the ability to unlock 1Password using the Apple Watch eventually return?

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#18393

• 1enginepilot
    1enginepilot
    Community Member

Will do, and I'll look to do the longer use test tomorrow and let you know.

• @1enginepilot

Sounds good. 🙂

-Dave

• dogolaca
    dogolaca
    Community Member

Commenting only to mention that the connection between my Apple Watch and Mac mini M1 has been disrupted since upating to MacOS 13.3. This includes not being apple to login to Mac and not being able to get 1Password to supply passwords on websites.

Glad you are looking into this.

• @dogolaca

Thank you for adding your voice. If you're not able to use your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac itself then I recommend reaching out to Apple Support so that they can take a look at that: Official Apple Support

not being able to get 1Password to supply passwords on websites.

Is 1Password not filling passwords in websites at all? Or are you just not able to use the Apple Watch to unlock 1Password but can still use your account password or Touch ID?

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.