Open version 7 after installing version 8

Options
rogerinlondon
rogerinlondon
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I had understood that you could still have version 7 available after installing version 8 to compare functionality (not having them open at the same time, though), but after installing, version 7 seems to have been zipped up and archived. How can I open version 7 again?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @rogerinlondon! 👋

I don't usually recommend running both versions at the same time since that can cause conflicts with the app's communication to the browser extension. Is there a reason why you'd like to run both 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 at the same time on the same Mac?

That being said, you should be able to extract the ZIP from the Applications folder and then run the extracted copy of 1Password 7.

-Dave

• rogerinlondon
    rogerinlondon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I just thought that I had seen somewhere that you have both versions on a machine as long as they are not opened at the same time, but I might be remembering that wrong.

Since version 7 is working well for me, I just wanted to be able to compare 7 to 8 since sometimes new versions of software do not really fit perfectly to how you work yourself and can require more steps to do something (that seems to be the case with creating a new password BTW). That is all.

Roger

• @rogerinlondon

It's indeed technically possible to run both. If you do decide to do that then I would suggest turning off the Extension Helper in 1Password 7 to help avoid conflicts:

1. Open and unlock the 1Password for Mac app.
    2. Click on 1Password 7 next to the  in the menu bar and choose Preferences.
    3. Click the Browsers tab and make sure Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running is turned off.

But a better option may be to just go all-in on 1Password 8 for a month and then decide whether to return to 1Password 7 or to stick with the new version.

(that seems to be the case with creating a new password BTW)

Are you creating a new password for a website or something else?

-Dave

• rogerinlondon
    rogerinlondon
    Community Member
    Options

(that seems to be the case with creating a new password BTW)

Are you creating a new password for a website or something else?

It is early days, but as far as I can see, in version 7, you select new password and click the cogwheel to get it while in version 8 you select new password, click on password and then on Create a New Password. That is what I mean by changes that are not necessarily improving the workflow...

Roger

• Thanks for the feedback @rogerinlondon I'll let the team know you'd like to see some love here. We're always seeking to learn about those areas we should focus on.

This discussion has been closed.