"The database was terminated." error message in the browser

Options
BlackMacX
BlackMacX
Community Member

Starting this morning, whenever I attempted to login to the Safari extension, it appears to crash with the message that the database maybe corrupted as the connection was terminated (will get a image to upload when it happens again). This even after having done the following:

1. Checked that I am using the current version of 1Password for Safari (v2.10.0)
  2. Am on the current most up to date version of Mac OS Ventura
  3. Quit and restarted both Safari and 1Password

Even with all this, I am still getting the message (via a lovely full Safari page background. :))

Anyone else have this issue? I will restart my Mac as well (an M1 Mac mini) and provide feedback; but this is the first time I have seen this type of issue with the Safari extension.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Anthony

1Password Version: 8.10.4
Extension Version: 2.10.0
OS Version: 13.3.1
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• HunterHillegas
    HunterHillegas
    Community Member
    Options

Same. Happening often for me since this AM.

• BlackMacX
    BlackMacX
    Community Member
    Options

I will update all, after a full reboot of my Mac, the error seems to have gone away.

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2023
    Options

@balckmacx

Are you resetting the Safari history? Was this after the update to 1Password in the browser or random after having used it previously?

• @HuanterHillegas

Please see my message above to BlackMacX

• BlackMacX
    BlackMacX
    Community Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hi ag_tommy,

So, to answer your question, yes I do reset/clear my Safari History, just before I prepare to close/quit it. That said, the issue stopped happening yesterday after I rebooted my Mac mini; but has started again this morning (see attached image). The message is new and not what the extension previously did.

I do also have to say, that this morning, before the issue started to present again (it only just did, as of ~7:30am PDT, not prior to this), it hadn't, even when I closed and cleared my History earlier today.

Additionally, and this is to just bolster things for your information, as per the image suggestion, I have not changed my 1Password settings in weeks, so the suggestion, in the image, to check them, would suggest the extension's functions have changed. I will admit, I rarely use the extension directly, as I find it often crashes and/or doesn't work as seamlessly as one would assume/like. I have to open 1Password more often, as the 1P extension often cannot find/see all the entries/etc., in the 1P vaults (I know how to get it to see "everything" but it cannot always find them, so using 1P has become the default action I take, as it reduces said problems).

• @BlackMacX

The image is due to a new change where we added additional prompts for users. The cause in your instance was the Safari history reset. I would expect to see this message using those steps. We're working to improve on the wording. Apologies for any alarm.

• VirtuaJustin
    VirtuaJustin
    Community Member
    Options

@BlackMacX - so you are saying the fix it to just clear the Safari history? I've been running into this all day and can't stop to reboot everytime it happens. Thanks

• BlackMacX
    BlackMacX
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. You and all 1Password are great, both in the forum help you provide to users as well as, keeping this great product working wonderfully and our (keeping a jinx away) crucial information safe.

• BlackMacX
    BlackMacX
    Community Member
    Options

@VirtuaJustin no, as per ag_tommy, the clearing of the history is the reason for the error message. Now, I feel this is a problem, in the situation I have, as I clear my history after browsing and before I quit Safari; but that act then causes the 1Password for Safari extension to issue the noted error. I think this a poorly designed; but cannot say more, as I am not a developer, just that I would think most users would clear their history before quitting Safari, so maybe to either let users know to expect that error or find a way to handle it.

But that is not your issue, you have the same issue I have and just remember, if you clear your history, and have logged into 1Password for Safari, that session, you may get said error message and just be aware that the cause is, most likely, your having cleared the history.

• VirtuaJustin
    VirtuaJustin
    Community Member
    Options

@BlackMacX but I didn't clear my history. I feel like i got the alert today a few times just randomly.

• @VirtuaJustin

If that's the case please email us and let the team gather some logs from your device so we can better understand what's happening. Please email us using support+forum@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question.

Include the following:

Your user name here in the forum. VirtuaJustin
    A link to this topic. https://1password.community/discussion/comment/684173/#Comment_684173

This will help us connect the dots as they say.

• ICULikeMac
    ICULikeMac
    Community Member
    Options

Happening to me as well for the last couple of days. Following for any solution. Let me know if you need more logs.

• ICULikeMac
    ICULikeMac
    Community Member
    Options

It's particularly bad when using App Store Connect (Apple Developer). Every time I go to press release this version, the DB message would appear and I would need to log back into Apple.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ICULikeMac it's strange that you get this error message when using App Store Connect. Could you reproduce the behavior and then send us your extension console logs so that we can investigate further?

How to send your extension console logs: https://support.1password.com/cs/extension-console-log/

Attach the logs to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com. With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• Dub
    Dub
    Community Member
    Options

There is a really annoying bug in the latest version of 1Password:
    Each and every timeI clear my browsing history (latest version of Safari, latest version of 1Password 8) a separate tab instantly opens with the following message:
    "The Database was Terminated.
    The database was unexpectedly terminated and may have become corrupt.
    1Password in the browser was reinitialized on your behalf....
    ......."
    This is very annoying.
    I hope there is some workaround, but I am afraid this is a bug you need to fix,
    Hope you can fix it soon.
    Please let us know.
    Thank you.

OS Version: 13.3.1

• Hi @Dub, thanks for reaching out!

The error message you're encountering is expected and will appear any time you clear the Safari history/cache. The following article explains why you're seeing this and what workarounds are available:

Let us know if you have any further questions.

• Dub
    Dub
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the link to the available workarounds.

I find it peculiar that 1Password never did this before the latest version. Sounds like you must have changed something in the way that 1Password operates with Safari.

• You're welcome, @Dub! Were you previously clearing the history only before closing Safari? While the error message is new, clearing your history/cache in previous versions of 1Password for Safari would also clear the local copy of your information and you would be required to restart Safari in order to get things working normally again. If you had previously been clearing the history and closing Safari, once you relaunched Safari, things would be working as normal.

• Dub
    Dub
    Community Member
    Options

I, like many other folks I know always clear my history at least once a day before closing my browser. So, yes, you are correct that upon re-start everything was working just fine before and obviously everything works just fine now.
    No workarounds are needed.
    Bottom line: I clearly understand the change, but in my humble opinion, there should be no error message. The reasons are first that it is not an error, and second, that the message serves no useful purpose.
    On top of that, the wording of the message is too ominous and confusing. The sentence in red, the words “was unexpectedly terminated” and “may have become corrupt” , as well as the recommendation to review your 1Password settings in the browser are way too ominous for something simple that is not an error.
    I would recommend that the company eliminate the "error message" completely. It is clearly not needed and the words used are way too ominous and confusing to users.
    Thank you again for your quick response and explanation.

• @dub

Thank you for the feedback. The team is working to make the working better. I can't say that the message would not appear, but the team is looking into the best way to move forward.

• Dub
    Dub
    Community Member
    Options

Great.
    Thank you!

• You're welcome @Dub, let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

• Jonathan_YOW
    Jonathan_YOW
    Community Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

I also have the database termination error on Safari history clearing. Never even seen this error in all the many years of using 1P. The error only started on the last update of 1P from the App Store. None of the suggested fixes worked.

• klanchman
    klanchman
    Community Member
    Options

I've been seeing this on 2 different computers. It only happens (so far) in Safari. It's usually after I've logged into App Store Connect and navigate around in there a bit. Once the error appears App Store Connect gets logged out and the 1Password extension stops working throughout Safari until I restart Safari or toggle the extension off/on.

@Joy_1P I tried to grab extension console logs, but when the error page appears the console window closes itself. I'm sending what I can manage to get to the email you mentioned 😄

• bogard
    bogard
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same error after updating to extension. Kind of frustrating as I usually clear all history manually at the end of a Safari session. I contacted support, who said to press the option key while selecting clear history (which does not clear website data). This works, but it's irritating, and I hope this behavior is changed in future updates to the extension.

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2023
    Options

@klanchman

Thank you for the submission. Did you receive a support ID?

• Please disregard @klanchman I located your submission.

ref: IIE-72462-477

• Newbie2018
    Newbie2018
    Community Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

Every couple of weeks, I go into my Safari browser and clear all history (Settings > Clear History). When I tried to do so today, I got the attached error. I read the error description on the 1Password help page and kind of understand it. But my question is more general. After using 1P for families for several years, and after periodically clearing my Safari history over this entire timeframe, why is this "database was terminated" message only now starting to appear? What has changed?

To avoid the error, I know I can clear browsing history but keep website data. And I know I can manually manage cookies. But I don't want to do these things. How do I go back to the "no error" model? Thx.

OS Version: Ventura 13.3.1

• pnelis
    pnelis
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem on my iMac and Safari. I hardly ever clear my history, so that can not cause the problem. It's a very irritating bug and I hope you will be able to resolve it soon.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @pnelis, does the error message only pop up on a specific website? How often does it occur? After closing the error message, are you able to use 1Password normally?

This discussion has been closed.