Passkey beta available?

Options
asportnoy
asportnoy
Community Member

I'm using 1Password Nightly on my mac and saw this prompt on a few of my logins to switch to passkeys.

However, I don't see any new behavior in my browser (also using the beta extension) and the information link (https://support.1password.com/save-fill-passkeys/) goes to a 404 page. Is passkey support out yet on beta?

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.7 (81007017)
Extension Version: Beta 2.11.0
OS Version: macOS Ventura 13.3.1 (a)
Browser:_ Chrome 113.0.5672.92
Referrer: forum-search:Passkey beta available

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hello @asportnoy! 👋

Thank you for using the nightly and for reporting this! Our team is planning to publish that article in the future as we get closer to the official release of passkey support in June.

As a reminder, using the nightly means that you'll see features that are under development and that are not fully finished and that might mean running into rough edges like this broken link. We're excited to share passkeys with everyone soon! 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/web/support.1password.com#3777

• asportnoy
    asportnoy
    Community Member
    Options

Got it. Will nightly get access to it before the June 6th release?

• oliverames
    oliverames
    Community Member
    Options

Same question!

• faquick
    faquick
    Community Member
    Options

+1 :)

• Dave_1P
    Options

@asportnoy, @oliverames, and @faquick

If you haven't already, I suggest signing up for our passwordless newsletter: Passwordless newsletter

The newsletter, before anywhere else, is where we'll announce passkey availability as the feature opens up in the various beta versions. 😊

-Dave

• JuCos
    JuCos
    Community Member
    Options

I'd understood that Passkeys support would be offered today on desktop versions, but apparently it only concerns extensions for Chrome and Firefox (but still no beta for Safari).
    Do you have a date for the macOS version of the app?

• festus777
    festus777
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Solved - needed to be running TestFlight from the App store and then follow this link [https://testflight.apple.com/join/wdCBan7N] from the 1Password Blog.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks!

Indeed; I'm excited to share that today we are bringing saving and signing in with passkeys to 1Password in your (desktop) browser. Additionally Watchtower in the apps has been updated to let you know when you have a Login saved for a site that has passkeys available. Additional details can be found in today's blog post:

Save and Sign In with Passkeys Using 1Password In the Browser

There are lots of new and interesting things we're planning with passkeys; this is just the first step. 😃

Ben

• jtaylor
    jtaylor
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not seeing Passkey notifications from Watchtower. I'm running the Safari Beta Extension released today and Production for the Desktop App since there doesn't seem to be a current beta? What are those Watchtower notifications supposed to look like? I don't see any references to Passkeys in Watchtower via the Desktop app. I'm a bit confused...

• JuCos
    JuCos
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, same here!

• Ben
    Options

Hey there,

The notifications won't show up on a production/stable release, only a beta release. We had a little hiccup getting the latest beta out. It should be coming soon. Sorry for the delay!

Ben

• JuCos
    JuCos
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Ben for your answer!

• Ben
    Options

You're welcome! When it is available it'll look like this in the Watchtower dashboard:

Plus individual items will have a banner like what the OP showed in their screenshot (here).

Ben

• faquick
    faquick
    Community Member
    Options

Just updated to the beta, I see no banners yet and going manually to the "Passkeys available" section in Watchtower shows nothing.

Is there a way to "refresh" the data Watchtower is showing?

• jtaylor
    jtaylor
    Community Member
    Options

I'm still confused... Mac Desktop App is now the latest beta and the only thing I see in Watchtower is Overall Password Strength???
    I'm starting to doubt my sanity.

• ironcore13
    ironcore13
    Community Member
    Options

Same, updated Chrome App to beta, changed to Beta release channel for desktop app, and Watchtower is not showing me any Passkey options for any of my saved logins, though I have quite a few that are listed on the Supported list. I still only see 2FA and the other standard categories

• Ben
    Options

Hey folks,

If you're not seeing results in Watchtower where you're expecting to, we'd love to dig deeper. To facilitate that, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your desktop:

Sending Diagnostics Reports

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

• What you expected to see, and what you see instead (screenshots are great, so long as they don't contain any personally identifiable info!)
    • A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/140187/passkey-beta-available
    • Your forum username

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here.  Thanks very much!

Ben

• faquick
    faquick
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben here is the Support ID from my report: [#AJS-66466-958]

• Ben
    Options

@faquick

Thank you for those details! Someone from our team will be evaluating the data you submitted and will respond to you via email as soon as possible.

Ben

ref: AJS-66466-958

• Richw1
    Richw1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. Stupid question alert! ;-)

Am I right in saying that I can only create 1Password passkeys with 'beta versions of 1Password in the browser' but I can sign in with passkeys via 1Password on any device?

Kind regards
    Richard

• Ben
    Options

Hey @Richw1

Not a stupid question. 😃 Saving and signing in using passkeys is available in the beta versions of 1Password in the browser on desktop operating systems. It isn't yet possible to save or sign in using passkeys from 1Password on mobile devices.

Ben

• Richw1
    Richw1
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben. So how do you sign in on iOS with a passkey (that was made with 1Password)?

• faquick
    faquick
    Community Member
    Options

@Richw1 I believe that will come in a future release of 1Password for iOS.

@Ben will there be a beta test that we will be able to sign up to?

• Richw1
    Richw1
    Community Member
    Options

That’s fine (I understand that this is beta) but just trying to work out if I use the beta, will I be locked out of accessing websites on iOS?

• ironcore13
    ironcore13
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben since I sent that this morning, checking things this afternoon now shows a "Passkeys available" section under Watchtower (Desktop App, Windows 11), along with multiple items found for Passkeys. Additionally, it resolves all of those items and it looks like I could start to work to setup Passkeys for those identified items... so it looks like it's working correctly now. Not sure what changed? I've been at work all day so didn't get to do anything, but I did try logging out/back in this morning before I posted here.

• jtaylor
    jtaylor
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Here is my Support ID [#MMT-15869-432]

Thanks.

• faquick
    faquick
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Same as @ironcore13 here. Passkeys card in Watchtower home and accounts in its section appeared now.

If that might be useful at all, I launched 1password (beta) on my android device in the meantime, and I noticed that the purple notification for the passkey-enabled accounts appeared there. Then I tried on my Mac desktop now and all is there too.

• 1P_Claudio
    edited June 2023
    Options

@jtaylor

Thank you! Our team will look over the data you've sent over and be in touch shortly.

ref: MMT-15869-432

• jtaylor
    jtaylor
    Community Member
    Options

As of now Passkeys Available has magically appeared in Watchtower for me.

• JuCos
    JuCos
    Community Member
    Options

The same applies here: the section appeared this morning on the desktop version, nothing on iOS though…

This discussion has been closed.